IGNORED

Best Hi-Res Audiophile Releases 2014.

A few more I've acquired recently, all brilliantly performed and recorded:

Marc-André Hamelin - Marc-André Hamelin: Leos Janacek - Robert Schumann.jpg

Thomas Hampson - Notturno (Richard Strauss: Lieder).jpg

Juan Diego Flórez - L'Amour.jpg

Berliner Philharmoniker, Sir Simon Rattle - Schumann: Symphonies 1-4 [Multichannel 5.0].jpg

San Francisco Symphony, Michael Tilson Thomas - Bernstein: West Side Story [Multichannel 5.1].jpg

Orchestre National Bordeaux Aquitaine _ Daniel - Wagner (Orchestre National Bordeaux Aquitaine).jpg

Concerto Köln - El Maestro Farinelli.jpg

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

A few more I've acquired recently, all brilliantly performed and recorded:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13085[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13086[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13087[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13088[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13089[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13090[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13091[/ATTACH]

Where'd you get the Rattle Schumann from? is that the new Blueray box, or did you download it? I'm thinking of getting it myself.

Where'd you get the Rattle Schumann from? is that the new Blueray box, or did you download it? I'm thinking of getting it myself.

I actually bought the box set, but had I known the downloads would also be available separately, I'd have just done the downloads - about ½ the price of the box set, and you're allowed to download both the 2.0 and the 5.0, in WAV or FLAC, and in 96/24 or 192/24. The way all downloads should be done ;)

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

I actually bought the box set, but had I known the downloads would also be available separately, I'd have just done the downloads - about ½ the price of the box set, and you're allowed to download both the 2.0 and the 5.0, in WAV or FLAC, and in 96/24 or 192/24. The way all downloads should be done ;)

Where did you see the downloads?

Where did you see the downloads?

https://www.berliner-philharmoniker-recordings.com/schumann-24-bit-download.html

It appears I was wrong, though - the downloads do not appear to be available separately, even though they've posted a page with a price and everything :/ You might give it a try, though: the wording is a bit confusing.

https://www.berliner-philharmoniker-recordings.com/schumann-24-bit-download.html

It appears I was wrong, though - the downloads do not appear to be available separately, even though they've posted a page with a price and everything :/ You might give it a try, though: the wording is a bit confusing.

thanks ill check it out.

Yes, completely agree about Soundliaison recordings, but they are really focused on that kind of achievement at the end. I am just wondering if it is so complicated for regular studio to listen to the recording over the headphones and try to place the instruments correctly based on the knowledge how the jazz trio is usually placed on the stage - is it so difficult, don't know.

Hi Krzyszttof look in the liner notes!: After Silence (FLAC)

Microphones:Main system: Schoeps MK5 AB

Spot mic's: Neumann KM84, Neumann TLM170, Neumann U47, Van Medevoort C1000

Micpre's: RME Micstacy (Analog > MADI)

Microphone cables: Grimm Audio TPR

Master clock: Grimm Audio CC1

Mixing headphones: Sennheiser HD800

Mixing speakers: Grimm Audio LS1

Recording and mixing - Frans de Rond

Mixing Headphones Sennheiser HD800.

Andre%20300%20met%20schaduw.png

After Silence (FLAC)

Hi Krzyszttof look in the liner notes!: After Silence (FLAC)

Mixing Headphones Sennheiser HD800.

Andre%20300%20met%20schaduw.png

After Silence (FLAC)

Yes, in this case it's not a problem and this recording studio is already known for very good recordings. However, it is rather rare to see in the liner notes what equipment was used during mastering and also what cans were used for auditioning the mix - this is extremum I guess. I suppose that after mixing the material, an artist is able to listen to that particular mix and decide if it's ok or so-so?

--

Krzysztof Maj

http://mkrzych.wordpress.com/

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

Yes, in this case it's not a problem and this recording studio is already known for very good recordings. However, it is rather rare to see in the liner notes what equipment was used during mastering and also what cans were used for auditioning the mix - this is extremum I guess. I suppose that after mixing the material, an artist is able to listen to that particular mix and decide if it's ok or so-so?

I've recently bought a couple of BIS albums (Bach's cantatas by M. Suzuki) where the liner notes indicated that Stax headphones were used for monitoring. Also, the liner notes for Aeolus' huge box grouping all of Bach organ pieces played on Silbermann instruments indicate that the multichannel mixing was monitored with Genelec speakers - a box for DigiPete I would say '-)

Yes that is a good question, how involved are musicians in general in the process of mixing and mastering?

And do they have a say in what kind of sound they wan't.

I have heard that Pat Metheny left ECM because he did not agree with Manfred Eicher's generous use of the Lexicon reverb machine.

I do like the sound of the ECM recordings but maybe musicians prefer a more dry sound?

on the other hand it does say in the by this thread often bespoken liner notes from the After Silence Album that;

This recording is made for and with lovers of high-end audio recordings.

This is a TRUE Studio Master file. It's a one to one copy of the master file (88.2kHz/24bit).

No conversion of any kind has taken place.

What you are getting is what we, the technicians and the musicians,has created in close collaboration.You are in other words hearing exactly what we are hearing here in the studio.

After Silence (FLAC)

So here the musicians seems to have been involved. But also apparantly ''lovers of high-end audio recordings''.

Andre%20200%20v7.png

• 2 weeks later...

The 1th track of that album can be heard on you tube;

[video=youtube;u35c-p-tSqU]

What is your nomination for best hi-res audiophile recording or recordings of 2014?

May I start out with suggesting the new group Batik;The Old Man and the Sea.

This album is so beautiful written and played that I have played everyday for the past 2 weeks. And the sound stage is stunning, maybe the best engineered Sound Liaison album so far or at least as good as the Carmen Gomes albums or the Paul Berner album from the same label.

It is available as flac and wav, flac being cheaper for some reason $15 vs $20.

BATIK (WAV)

Batik%20Hoes%20300%20shadow%20v2.png

• 1 month later...
Yes that is a good question, how involved are musicians in general in the process of mixing and mastering?

And do they have a say in what kind of sound they wan't.

I have heard that Pat Metheny left ECM because he did not agree with Manfred Eicher's generous use of the Lexicon reverb machine.

I do like the sound of the ECM recordings but maybe musicians prefer a more dry sound?

on the other hand it does say in the by this thread often bespoken liner notes from the After Silence Album that;

After Silence (FLAC)

So here the musicians seems to have been involved. But also apparently ''lovers of high-end audio recordings''.

Andre%20200%20v7.png

In the liner notes they thank the Audiophile Store Rhapsody;

Thanks to Rhapsody Hilversum for giving us the possibility to audition the mix on different audiophile speakers (TAD, Magico) and for their advise and eternal patience.

I guess that is their ''lovers of High end audio recordings''

For me the best audiophile release of 2014 so far is now Michael Tilson Thomas' recording of West Side Story. The excellent organ recital I mentioned above is now #2.

Tilson Thomas' West Side Story is outstanding on all fronts: the score, the orchestral playing, the voices, and the recording. The year is not finished, but I doubt that this one is going to be outclassed by another release. However, let's wait and see.

WSS.jpg

For me the best audiophile release of 2014 so far is now Michael Tilson Thomas' recording of West Side Story. The excellent organ recital I mentioned above is now #2.

Tilson Thomas' West Side Story is outstanding on all fronts: the score, the orchestral playing, the voices, and the recording. The year is not finished, but I doubt that this one is going to be outclassed by another release. However, let's wait and see.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13780[/ATTACH]

+1 - best of the year so far.

• 2 weeks later...

13780d1406388338t-best-hi-res-audiophile-releases-2014-wss.jpgLinn Records - West Side Story

Andre%20300%20met%20schaduw%20320_300.png

After Silence (FLAC)

BATIK (FLAC)

These three are incredible well recorded and well sounding downloads.

The music is completely different,

West Side Story blending the Broadway musical tradition with Classical. Great new interpretation.

After Silence blending Classical virtuosity with world music. What a sound this man has, I think he takes the prize for most beautiful trumpet sound.

Batik, the Old Man and the Sea, Jazz musicians telling a story with out words, using an almost "Pink Floydian" approach.

Best of the three? I find it impossible to choose.

Love the Hamelin Schumann/Janacek recording and the SFS West Side Story.

Two others to consider: "Momento Magico," by Swedish guitarist Ulf Wakenius, on ACT (purchased from eClassical), and the second volume of Bach cellos suites on viola, from Maxim Rysanov, on BIS. And the reissues of the classic Sutherland/Pavarotti recordings from the early 1970s are nothing to sneeze at. I have Turandot and Lucia so far, and will probably be going back for more.

Office: MacBook Pro - Audirvana Plus - Resonessence Concero - Cavailli Liquid Carbon - Sennheiser HD 800.

Travel/Portable: iPhone 7 or iPad Pro - AudioQuest Dragonfly Red - Audeze SINE or Noble Savant

Love the Hamelin Schumann/Janacek recording
I second that. Not only is it beautifully recorded, the playing on it is also first-rate.

Other recommendations from my part:

- Benjamin Grosvenor / Dances (90 minutes album)

- Igor Levit / Bach Partitas (2CDs album)

I bought both as a Hi-Res download from Qobuz .

13780d1406388338t-best-hi-res-audiophile-releases-2014-wss.jpgLinn Records - West Side Story

Andre%20300%20met%20schaduw%20320_300.png

After Silence (FLAC)

BATIK (FLAC)

These three are incredible well recorded and well sounding downloads.

The music is completely different,

West Side Story blending the Broadway musical tradition with Classical. Great new interpretation.

After Silence blending Classical virtuosity with world music. What a sound this man has, I think he takes the prize for most beautiful trumpet sound.

Batik, the Old Man and the Sea, Jazz musicians telling a story with out words, using an almost "Pink Floydian" approach.

Best of the three? I find it impossible to choose.

I bought the West Side Story on your recommendations, seeing we apparently have a similar taste.

Thank you all, it is a lovely recording.

I already have the After Silence and the Old Man and the Sea.

Very good downloads indeed, all three.

• 2 weeks later...
DSD128 albums starting to appear. Blue Coast is now offering a jazz/rock record from 1983 called "Alphabet Town" by Gregory James, transferred from analog. I bought it and it's excellent, especially if you like flute.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14305[/ATTACH]

Have you got the LP as well and have you compared them in terms of audio quality?