IGNORED

Best Hi-Res Audiophile Releases 2014.

The master recording format for After Silence is 88.2kHz 24bit PCM, but the information is not provided for The Old Man and The Sea. Would anyone have and be willing to share this piece of information? I'd rather buy the original recording format rather than the result of a conversion, even if I trust conversions have been done very well.

To my knowledge, the DSD files are all recent conversions (via analog, see separate thread), so the 24 88 PCM should be the master.

And in DSD as well.

The master recording format for After Silence is 88.2kHz 24bit PCM, but the information is not provided for The Old Man and The Sea. Would anyone have and be willing to share this piece of information? I'd rather buy the original recording format rather than the result of a conversion, even if I trust conversions have been done very well.

They seem to have updated their web site. All of their wav/pcm/flac downloads are '' one to one copies of the studio master file''

Kumakuma had the same question and Frans de Rond from Sound Liaison answered him personally;( post #77 of this thread)

For those interested, I received the following response from Frans de Rond as to why the Andre Heuvelman album was done in 24/88.2:

"Normally we do all our recordings in format 96kHz /24bit or maybe in the future even higher.

The time we did the recording of Andre there was a discussion going on that it was better to record in format 88.2kHz because it was easier to re-sample the master to the CD format 44.1 kHz. Because the samples only need to be divided by 2.

Because the recording was made with CD format in mind we decided to try in format 88.2 kHz.

Later we decided to make the original masters available for Sound Liaison and because we never change the sample rate it's now in 88.2kHz"

For their DSD downloads they have changed the sample rate by going through some analogue signal chain according their DSD news letter.

So if you want native get the PCM/WAV.

BatikHoes300shad.png

To the best of my knowledge, Batik The old Man and the Sea is a 24/96 PCM recording, and the DSD a conversion from the PCM master. I've had that recording since its release, and the DSD version appears to be a late delivery/an afterthought.

Also, scroll down to the bottom and you'll see they used the RME Micstacy (24/192 PCM maximum, no DSD capability).

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

The DSD is a conversion;

See the Sound Liaison news letter that I got;

We have been consulting various experts as well as conducting our own experiments on how to transfer our recordings to DSD.

What we finally arrived upon was that, in order to make full use of the sonic qualities of DSD, we would need to create new masters especially for the DSD medium.

After a full year of trial and error we finally found, what we believe, is the ultimate DSD conversion method.

We transfer the PCM files via an analogue signal chain, using the best possible outboard gear to create a new DSD master file, and in so doing, embellish the unique qualities of DSD.

and there is a whole discussion going on here;http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f13-music-downloads-and-streaming/sound-liaison-now-direct-stream-digital-converted-analog-22819/

and they;

we never change the sample rate
of their PCM masters(see above#127), so native is 24/96.

On the website it says; '' original studio masters in PCM and flac'' and then a DSD notification.

DSD_offer_TSOBv8BLUE.png

it is a bit confusing, they could be more clear on that subject.

Apparently they look upon DSD as if it was vinyl. Kind of interesting thought.

But anyhow the PCM files I have from them are astonishing well recorded.

and they; of their PCM masters(see above#127), so native is 24/96.

On the website it says; '' original studio masters in PCM and flac'' and then a DSD notification.

DSD_offer_TSOBv8BLUE.png

it is a bit confusing, they could be more clear on that subject.

Apparently they look upon DSD as if it was vinyl. Kind of interesting thought.

But anyhow the PCM files I have from them are astonishing well recorded.

But just look at their site. Under the special offer banner they have a ''DSD thread''.

If you click on it there is a whole letter explaining what they have done and they also write;

So just to clarify; Our DSD masters are not original studio masters.

We record in PCM, so if you want a native one to one copy of the original studio master, without any kind of conversion, choose the PCM download.

source link; DSD

I like their attitude and the transparency, and the fact that there appear to be people working there who base their decision-making on what they hear - I mean, they literally use their ears, something that sometimes strikes me as virtually unheard of in the music business.

But just look at their site. Under the special offer banner they have a ''DSD thread''.

If you click on it there is a whole letter explaining what they have done and they also write;

We record in PCM, so if you want a native one to one copy of the original studio master, without any kind of conversion, choose the PCM download.

source link; DSD

I like their attitude and the transparency, and the fact that there appear to be people working there who base their decision-making on what they hear - I mean, they literally use their ears, something that sometimes strikes me as virtually unheard of in the music business.

10514136_764638190249059_1369607291_a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
My favorite release in 2014 - non classical

Gregory Porter - Liquid Spirit 24/96

[ATTACH]15638[/ATTACH]

one of my favorites too.

Here is a video that shows the difference between audio recording engineers and engineers working on the local radio station.

The playing is marvelous but the sound oh my!

[video=youtube;NS6JV-veVAE]

What is your nomination for best hi-res audiophile recording or recordings of 2014?

May I start out with suggesting the new group Batik;The Old Man and the Sea.

This album is so beautiful written and played that I have played everyday for the past 2 weeks. And the sound stage is stunning, maybe the best engineered Sound Liaison album so far or at least as good as the Carmen Gomes albums or the Paul Berner album from the same label.

It is available as flac and wav, flac being cheaper for some reason $15 vs $20.

Sound Liaison Music Shop

Batik Hoes 300 shadow v2.png

Links were not working. They do now...........http://www.soundliaison.com/

one of my favorites too.

Here is a video that shows the difference between audio recording engineers and engineers working on the local radio station.

But a radio station engineer probably has very limited time to get things right. So I do not think you should compare.

• 2 weeks later...

source link; DSD

quote_icon.png Originally Posted by acousticsguru viewpost-right.png

except this one;tony-bert-200v5.jpg

With one exception, Impromtu (Tony Overwater & Bert van den Brink), was recorded direct to PCM and direct to DSD with two seperate recorders.
source; Sound Liaison Music Shop

All their recordings are recorded in 24/96 PCM except After Silence (24/88) and Impromptu (DSD and 24/96).

look under DSD on the site; Sound Liaison Music Shop

Batik Hoes 300 shadow v2.png

61AESEAr0SL.jpg

XTC Nonsuch Blu-Ray DVD-A/CD package

A superb Steven Wilson remix of the original 1992 album, with input from band members Andy Partridge and Colin Moulding.

The Blu-Ray/DVD-A features:

• LPCM 5.1 Surround mix mastered from the original multi-track tapes, with a DTS-HD Master Audio stream at 24/48. Included is a previously unreleased bonus track, "Didn't Hurt A Bit".

• LPCM stereo album mix as above (24bit/96khz). Superb SQ.

• an additional, LPCM stereo (24bit/96khz) instrumental mix of the entire album, as above.

• extensive Andy Partridge home demos and Colin Moulding work tapes for songs written for the album and contemporaneously.

• filmed footage of the band working on the album in Chipping Norton Studios.

• promo films for "The Ballad of Peter Pumpkinhead" and "The Disappointed".

The CD features:

• LPCM stereo (16bit/44.1kHz) version of the new mix, as above, including the bonus track. Plus, a fancy booklet with liner notes and essays by and about the band.

• 2 weeks later...
except this o

source link; DSD

quote_icon.png Originally Posted by acousticsguru viewpost-right.png

ne;

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16949[/ATTACH]

With one exception, Impromtu (Tony Overwater & Bert van den Brink), was recorded direct to PCM and direct to DSD with two seperate recorders.

source; Sound Liaison Music Shop

BTW a great sounding download it is;

[video=youtube;UA3UOWPg3-k]

one of my favorites too.

The Dutch radio and TV engineers got it right at this concert.