IGNORED

Best Hi-Res Audiophile Releases 2014.

• 2 weeks later...

These are my nominees for best sound and well played downloads released in 2014:

HD7041888519225_185.jpgBjørn Bolstad Skjelbred: Waves & Interruptions - New | HDtracks - The World's Greatest-Sounding Music Downloads

Modern Classical music from the Norwegian masters 2L. The music is a bit ''difficult'' butI find that it is good sometimes to challenge my ears and my perception of music. The recording quality is sublime.

Andre%20300%20met%20schaduw%20320_300.pngAfter Silence (WAV)

Here there is less of a challenge to my perception of what good music is. The 1th tune ''Oblivion'' is breathtakingly beautiful, astonishing well played by a group of musicians who has no problem with pure musical emotion. The Sound is on par with 2L, but maybe a bit warmer, more analogue vibe. After Silence (WAV) I

ckd-449.jpgLinn Records - Mozart: Requiem (Reconstruction of first performance)

Here is is sufficient to quote Gramaphone

Gramophone Recording of the Month: ‘Purely on grounds of performance alone, this is one of the finest Mozart Requiems of recent years. As with all of Butt's recordings, however, this Mozart Requiem is something of an event. It is Butt's minute attention to these details, though, that makes this such a thrilling performance.'

Batik%20Hoes%20300%20shadow%20v2.pngBATIK (WAV)

This is what I would call a visual album, when I downloaded the album I did as someone suggested, read the Hemingway novella along with it, and indeed, a whole new dimension was added to listening and reading at the same time. And what a Sound stage!

HD074643574525_185.jpgOff the Wall | HDtracks - The World's Greatest-Sounding Music Downloads

Normally I am very skeptical with remastered albums but this one sounds good. Bruce Swedien and Quincy Jones used their Jazz background when recording and mixing this album and that is probably why it has stood the test of time.

So the CD has the best dynamic range. Very strange. One should think that they would at least leave it as it is.

Did you compare the CD with the download in terms of sound quality as well, and if so, what do you think?

Nothing surprises me when it comes to compression anymore.

I did not make any comparisons. I listen to a rip of the US vinyl and simply would not sacrifice that amount of dynamics for any other possible improvements.

Hackintosh W7/OSX 3570k/16GB > Audirvana+ > Metric Halo ULN-8 > Rythmik F12 and Butler Audio TDB 2250 > Magnepan 1.7 > 13.5'x26'x7.5' room, HK/Limage setup

How does the Dynamic Range Database work, where and how do they get their information?

Any one care to explain.

There's a tool that can analyze music files. The entries are user submitted. Check out the link below.

KVR: TT Dynamic Range Meter by Pleasurize Music Foundation - Analyser / Monitor VST Plugin, Audio Units Plugin and RTAS Plugin for Windows and Mac OS X

Hackintosh W7/OSX 3570k/16GB > Audirvana+ > Metric Halo ULN-8 > Rythmik F12 and Butler Audio TDB 2250 > Magnepan 1.7 > 13.5'x26'x7.5' room, HK/Limage setup

So I have uploaded the Batik; The Old Man and the Sea, hi-res download. (Sound Liaison Music Shop)

Looks pretty good no? all green from 13-19.

[TABLE=class: table table-bordered table-striped, width: 100%]

[TR]

[TH=bgcolor: #F9F9F9]bad[/TH]

[TH=bgcolor: #F9F9F9]transition[/TH]

[TH=bgcolor: #F9F9F9]good[/TH]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TABLE=class: table table-bordered table-striped, width: 100%]

[TR]

[TH=bgcolor: #F9F9F9]Artist[/TH]

[TH=bgcolor: #F9F9F9]Album[/TH]

[TH=bgcolor: #F9F9F9]Year[/TH]

[TH=bgcolor: #F9F9F9]DR[/TH]

[TH=bgcolor: #F9F9F9]DR

min[/TH]

[TH=bgcolor: #F9F9F9]DR

max[/TH]

[TH=bgcolor: #F9F9F9]Codec[/TH]

[TH=bgcolor: #F9F9F9]Source[/TH]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Batik[/TD]

[TD]The Old Man And The Sea [24/96] (Sound Liaison download)

i

[/TD]

[TD]2014[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]lossless[/TD]

[TD]Download[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

• 1(current)

Batik%20Hoes%20200%20shadow%20v3.png

Hi Dream operator and PAP

I have started a thread here on this very same subject, the Dynamic Range Database. If you would care to comment I'd be much obliged.http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f13-audiophile-downloads/importance-dynamic-range-and-maximum-possible-21947/

(and I also uploaded the Batik album!)

So I have uploaded the Batik; The Old Man and the Sea, hi-res download. (Sound Liaison Music Shop).

Looks pretty good no? all green from 13-19.

Batik%20Hoes%20200%20shadow%20v3.png

But there's also a read out where it scores 13 (lowest) and 15 (highest) from the HD Tracks download but after using ''declipping software'', can someone explain? Album list - Dynamic Range Database

Apparently someone has written a tool to try to reconstruct clipped peaks and/or dynamically expand the sound (kind of like a dbx decoder?). I don't think I would count on the results of that kind of thing to sound great, but the numbers look pretty I guess.

I offer as an addition to this list the 96/24 download (from HDT) of the new Kenny Barron/Dave Holland duets album, "The Art of Conversation."

Office: MacBook Pro - Audirvana Plus - Resonessence Concero - Cavailli Liquid Carbon - Sennheiser HD 800.

Travel/Portable: iPhone 7 or iPad Pro - AudioQuest Dragonfly Red - Audeze SINE or Noble Savant

I just pre-ordered the Audio Fidelity Eric Clapton Pilgrim hybrid SACD. I currently have Alice Cooper - B$B, Vangelis - Blade Runner and Legends-Get It On from AF. All sound awesome on my gear.

Whoops, just realized this is audiophile downloads. Well in that case, I really liked the Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons (got it for my dad).

These are my nominees for best sound and well played downloads released in 2014:

HD7041888519225_185.jpgBjørn Bolstad Skjelbred: Waves & Interruptions - New | HDtracks - The World's Greatest-Sounding Music Downloads

Modern Classical music from the Norwegian masters 2L. The music is a bit ''difficult'' butI find that it is good sometimes to challenge my ears and my perception of music. The recording quality is sublime.

Andre%20300%20met%20schaduw%20320_300.pngAfter Silence (WAV)

Here there is less of a challenge to my perception of what good music is. The 1th tune ''Oblivion'' is breathtakingly beautiful, astonishing well played by a group of musicians who has no problem with pure musical emotion. The Sound is on par with 2L, but maybe a bit warmer, more analogue vibe. After Silence (WAV) I

ckd-449.jpgLinn Records - Mozart: Requiem (Reconstruction of first performance)

Here is is sufficient to quote Gramaphone

Batik%20Hoes%20300%20shadow%20v2.pngBATIK (WAV)

This is what I would call a visual album, when I downloaded the album I did as someone suggested, read the Hemingway novella along with it, and indeed, a whole new dimension was added to listening and reading at the same time. And what a Sound stage!

HD074643574525_185.jpgOff the Wall | HDtracks - The World's Greatest-Sounding Music Downloads

Normally I am very skeptical with remastered albums but this one sounds good. Bruce Swedien and Quincy Jones used their Jazz background when recording and mixing this album and that is probably why it has stood the test of time.

Great sounding list , and very varied choices but the sound is outstanding regardless of the style of music.

• 2 weeks later...
I find I've only purchased 12 hi-res albums to-date in 2014, but all of them are gems:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11989[/ATTACH]

*click image to enlarge and actually see the album covers ;)

Got the Julia Fischer Sarasate, very nice indeed.

4785950.jpg

and found this portrait to polish up my German!

Blue Coast records Cava Menzies and Nick Phillips "Moment to Moment" as DSD or PCM192.

Fantastic trumpet work. Cookie M's marketing says if you like "Kind of Blue" you will like this recording. Normally I don't go in for hype like this, but this recording is no BS the genuine article. I have listened to the recording about a dozen times in last month and it just keeps growing on me.

Blue Coast records Cava Menzies and Nick Phillips "Moment to Moment" as DSD or PCM192.

Fantastic trumpet work. Cookie M's marketing says if you like "Kind of Blue" you will like this recording. Normally I don't go in for hype like this, but this recording is no BS the genuine article. I have listened to the recording about a dozen times in last month and it just keeps growing on me.

Another Blue Coast release: "Seminole Star", by Quiles & Cloud. Gorgeous acoustic folk, recorded live to 2" tape, then digitized to DSD256. I've listened to this one maybe five times in the past month, which is exceptional for me.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system