IGNORED

Best Hi-Res Audiophile Releases 2014.

Yes, in this case it's not a problem and this recording studio is already known for very good recordings. However, it is rather rare to see in the liner notes what equipment was used during mastering and also what cans were used for auditioning the mix - this is extremum I guess. I suppose that after mixing the material, an artist is able to listen to that particular mix and decide if it's ok or so-so?

Hi Krzyszttof look in the liner notes!: After Silence (FLAC)

Mixing Headphones Sennheiser HD800.

Andre%20300%20met%20schaduw.png

After Silence (FLAC)

l wonder how much musicians are involved in the mix and mastering process.

Manfred Eicher from ecm is known to be a very dominant producer, deciding which takes are the best and how the recording should sound. Generaly I like his vision but I heard that Pat Metheny left the ecm label because of a disagrement about the sound of an album.

Yes very nice trumpet playing, but the sound of the upright bass bothers me a bit. Sounds almost like a Fender bass.

But Mr. Phillips sure can can PLAY!

hqdefault.jpg

Interesting comment. I found the bass level to be a little above average so I use a tone control to roll off the low frequencies about 4-5 db and the recording sounds much better to my ears.

another nomination:

West side story in dsd by san francisco symphony orchestra.

yes!

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

Yes very nice trumpet playing, but the sound of the upright bass bothers me a bit. Sounds almost like a Fender bass. But Mr. Phillips sure can PLAY!

hqdefault.jpg

Interesting comment. I found the bass level to be a little above average so I use a tone control to roll off the low frequencies about 4-5 db and the recording sounds much better to my ears.

OK, that might help a bit. But my problem was more the lack of the acoustic sound of the instrument, there is no ''air'' around it .

Is that the same performance as the 24/96 flac that HD Tracks sells?

HD821936005927_185.jpgWest Side Story | HDtracks - The World's Greatest-Sounding Music Downloads

Yes, the same performance. According to the DownloadsNow site:

"West Side Story was originally recorded to 9624 PCM. The 9624 WAV files are the original digital file generation sent to us. The DSD and FLAC files are considered second generation and made from conversions using our Blue Coast conversion methods. DSF and FLAC will offer the convenience of metadata that the WAV and DFF files will not.

After several blindfold tests, it is our opinion that the 9624 wav files sound the best, followed by DSF or DFF and after that the FLAC 9624. The difference is minimal. We suggest you purchase files for your best performing home DAC. The DAC will make more difference than the file type."

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

Yes, completely agree about Soundliaison recordings, but they are really focused on that kind of achievement at the end..

I did not see this Sound Liaison release mentioned here on this thread.

Dual%20Tone%20Hoes%20300%20shadow%20v3.pngAndre%20300%20met%20schaduw%20320_300.png

The music is maybe a little less easy on the ear compared to the After Silence album given the instrumentation of only piano and drums, but is nevertheless very rewarding upon repeated listening. And the sound quality is stunning.

Sound Liaison Music Shop

OK, that might help a bit. But my problem was more the lack of the acoustic sound of the instrument, there is no ''air'' around it .

Pap, I listened again and I think you have a good point. I have no experience recording a double bass but went back to some other recordings I have of Ray Brown and of course returned to Kind of Blue and they all have more "air" and a live quality to the bass. It would be interesting to know more about the venue and techniques used.

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart : Le nozze di Figaro

Andrei Bondarenko - Simone Kermes - Christian van Horn - Fanie Antonelou - Mary-Ellen Nesi - Maria Forsström... - MusicAeterna - Teodor Currentzis

BONUS : 1 Livret numérique

Paru le 14 février 2014 chez Sony Classical

Artiste principal : Teodor Currentzis

Genre : Classique > Opéra

DISTINCTIONS : 4F de Télérama (février 2014) - 4 étoiles Classica (février 2014) - Qualité Studio Masters Garantie (février 2014)

ImageUploadedByComputer Audiophile1416171070.406601.jpg

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart : Le nozze di Figaro

Andrei Bondarenko - Simone Kermes - Christian van Horn - Fanie Antonelou - Mary-Ellen Nesi - Maria Forsström... - MusicAeterna - Teodor Currentzis

BONUS : 1 Livret numérique

Paru le 14 février 2014 chez Sony Classical

Artiste principal : Teodor Currentzis

Genre : Classique > Opéra

DISTINCTIONS : 4F de Télérama (février 2014) - 4 étoiles Classica (février 2014) - Qualité Studio Masters Garantie (février 2014)

[ATTACH]15481[/ATTACH]

Is there a hi-res download available of this album,if so could you post a link please?

[video=youtube;FP9iE-SzIEw]

I my opinion it is sooo good. Sound quality is terrific, totally open and amazing dynamics, but never sounding 'digital' ;) - know what I mean. And most important, I really like the interpretation, refreshing and never boring! Mozart live!!! :)

For me it is the very best cassic album in a long time. Almost always I prefer recordings, which are decades older, but sure not in that case!

I think two days ago Currentzis released Cosi fan Tutti - of course I will buy it.

I​ will go for the 9624 PCM. I like my files to be as close to the original studio master file as possible.

Or does DSD add another dimension?

Compared with the 24/96 master, DSD reduces the frequency extension from 48kHz to about 25kHz by drowning the 25-48kHz band in ultrasonic noise. However, this is euphonic, DSD-grade noise. Now, watch the DSD police stone me in forthcoming posts.

Compared with the 24/96 master, DSD reduces the frequency extension from 48kHz to about 25kHz by drowning the 25-48kHz band in ultrasonic noise. However, this is euphonic, DSD-grade noise. Now, watch the DSD police stone me in forthcoming posts.

Just google; PCM vs DSD and you can spend the rest of the day reading instead of listening.

My DAC can not handle DSD yet but the moment it can I will give DSD the benefit of the doubt.

Originally Posted by Frankophileviewpost-right.pngI​ will go for the 9624 PCM. I like my files to be as close to the original studio master file as possible.

Or does DSD add another dimension?

I understand that one cannot mix in DSD, and I agree with Frankophile that if one can get a copy of the studio master, then that must be preferable. Seems to me that DSD is more like a sound tool, like if one use a tube preamp or some kind of sonic filter...or am I out on a limp here....`?

Lost in Romance by Lyn Stanley

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11987[/ATTACH]

This is wonderfully performed and recorded. The sound is both lush and intimate and the performer makes these standards worth hearing. It's available in high res at Downloadsnow.net and at Acoustic Sounds. But also, as I learned later, from Michael Fremer's Analog Planet, you can get it on vinyl.

Lyn Stanley's Potions is out for a little while now, very similar if not better acoustics and recording techniques as lost in romance. Great theme, and well chosen songs. I haven't seen any Hires downloads as yet, the SACD is out though, and it's great, Vinyl as well. Will NOT recommend the mp3, this is, CA after all.

If you loved Lost in Romance, you'd like Potions. There's really enough material to do Potions 2 up to 20 :)

potions-from-the-50s-lyn-stanley.jpg

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA