IGNORED

Are we living in the Golden Age of the Jazz Piano Trio?

Here is another name worth to be mentioned here, Hiromi Uehara from Japan. Being a highly talented piano player, her jazz is rather sophisticated, for me no easy listening, but once you get into it... And once again very well recorded. But find out yourself.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12239[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]12240[/ATTACH]

Listening to these CDs I feel often reminded of Aziza Mustafa Zadeh. Not only because of her piano virtuosity, but also because of her sidemen Dave Weckl (drums) und John Patitucci (bass).

51xIqaKD7xL.jpg

The new, long awaited (at least by me) Helge Lien Trio album just came out:

Badgers And Other Beings

oz055cd_12x12.jpg

Badgers And Other Beings

It is available in a variety of formats, up to 24/192, and even on Vinyl as a limited 180g edition.

The downloads can be found on Qobuz (redbook only unfortunately) and Highresaudio and Linn for the highres PCM versions.

The premium charged for Highres is hefty (€21 vs. €9.59 for the redbook at Qobuz), but as a big Helge Lien fan I obviously went for the 24/192.

I still preferred Hello Troll (2008) over Natsukashii (2011), and never really warmed to Kattenslager, his solo album in 2012, but here we have again a winner.

Highly recommended.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Realhifi,

I kind of excluded Keith, Kenny and Chick from this thread in my opening, not because they are not great artists (Somewhere is just great for example), but because I wanted this to focus more on the next generation of artists that emerged in the last 15-20 years.

Thanks for sharing Eldar Djangirov. He absolutely flew under my radar so far, and I just checked out his website. I really like his new Breakthrough album. I'm also amazed that the same young guy also plays Brahms and Bach.

I'm just back from a virtual shopping trip on Qobuz:

Currently downloading are:

Hadouk Trio Live at Fip (redbook) - thanks guys for the recommendation

Jan Lundgren Trio: The Flowers Of Sendal (24/96) - the latest album of this Swedish pianist that I really liked on his solo album "Man in the Fog".

And two more earlier Triosence albums: First Enchantment and Away For A While, both redbook.

Will report back after more intensive listening sessions.

Downloaded First Enhancements earlier today. On my second listen in my office. Love the first track, "Waltz for Andrea". This one is a good find. Thank you once again.....

• 4 weeks later...

Discovered this recently, a young Italian pianist playing here with the great Palle Danielson.

Claudio Filippini Trio: Breathing in Unison. Not a 5* album to me, but still worth discovering and a lot of beautiful moments. He still is very young (born in 1982), so I expect great things to come.

breathingunison.jpg

I need to check out his two earlier albums as well, Facing North and Enchanted Garden.

Here's some reading about the guy:

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/claudio-filippini-facing-north-claudio-filippini-by-robin-arends.php#.U5AaafmSx8E

[video=youtube;lrpa-vqzrBk]

Not a trio, but great Jazz pianist!...

Play Blue - Oslo Concert | Paul Bley*– Télécharger et écouter l'album

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13106[/ATTACH]

Roch

Great album. I've taken the liberty of creating a separate thread on this, I think it's really worth it and hope you don't mind.

Listening to Giovanni Mirabassi for the first time (Architectures). Wow. I wasn't prepared to fall in love today, but it happened in the first 5 minutes. Excellent music. Sublime performance. Flawless recording. What's not to love? I'm an instant fan.

A big THANKS to Musicophile.

Gary

Win10 Sweetwater recording studio PC running JRMC > Soundcraft Ui24r 24-track digital mixer > JBL LSR308 via Magomi Balanced XLR cable pair

I revisited the original list on Musicophile's first post and happened to looked up Tingvall Trio!!

Absolutely great stuff. Really like their style of music ... massive images mixed with interesting contrasts in styles. Elements of Rock mixed with Jazz as well as beautifully crafted "Scandinavian" imagination.

Would like to add "Vägen" to the list compiled earlier.

Vägen | Tingvall Trio

1313404092_tingvall-trio-vagen-2011.jpg

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

Indeed! I can't get enough of these guys. In fact, the title track was playing in my head was I got up this morning :)

Thank you Musicophile!

I revisited the original list on Musicophile's first post and happened to looked up Tingvall Trio!!

Absolutely great stuff. Really like their style of music ... massive images mixed with interesting contrasts in styles. Elements of Rock mixed with Jazz as well as beautifully crafted "Scandinavian" imagination.

Would like to add "Vägen" to the list compiled earlier.

Vägen | Tingvall Trio

1313404092_tingvall-trio-vagen-2011.jpg

Indeed! I can't get enough of these guys. In fact, the title track was playing in my head was I got up this morning :)

Thank you Musicophile!

Actually, credit here goes to this forum, where I discovered this group, thanks to PewterTA and Wkhanna!

My preferred Tingvall is "In Concert".

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks Pierre, really helpful.

Are there any albums on top of the Miabassi from these labels that you would recommend checking out?

Sorry for the extremely late reply, I'm not coming around here often. I would have to listen again to a few of the albums I have to give a fair advice and refresh my memory, however I can say that the Carrothers on Sketch are superb, I would particularly recommend Armistice 1918. Carrothers is very underestimated, which is a shame as his style is very personal...he just makes beautiful music. I like very much Itinéraire Imaginaire by Stephan Oliva, his solo album on Illusion (Film Noir) is great too. Oliva always produces interesting music, and often great music going from the jazz tradition to really avant-garde.

I would add the Mal Waldron with Lacy and Avenel to the list. I think there is a soundcloud page for atelier sawano, so you can have a listen before ordering.

I also have heard very good review of both records by Graillier but I haven't heard them.

Cheers,

Pierre

update: I forgot to add something about the label Minium, a box set was released in 2006 called Standard Visit which contained 6cd all by pianists (see: http://www.discogs.com/Various-Standard-Visit/release/3900704 ) with the addition of a bonus cd with versions of Lonely Woman by Ornette Coleman. it shows up sometimes on Ebay, really good box set.

Thanks for this thread. I've discovered some new pianists and rediscovered a few titles I'd forgotten about.

I'd like to add a couple to the list, first being Marc Copland - he's released a slew of trio, quartet, duet and solo titles for various European labels, many of which are nearly impossible to get.

His most recent release was as a member of the John Abercrombie Quartet - 39 Steps on ECM (which is available as a 24/88.2 download).

Second is Denny Zeitlin. He was a favorite of Bill Evans and opened for him many times. I'd start with the Mosaic 3CD box of his mid-'60s studio recordings for Columbia which include a number of unissued tracks from the original sessions.

Sorry for the extremely late reply, I'm not coming around here often. I would have to listen again to a few of the albums I have to give a fair advice and refresh my memory, however I can say that the Carrothers on Sketch are superb, I would particularly recommend Armistice 1918. Carrothers is very underestimated, which is a shame as his style is very personal...he just makes beautiful music. I like very much Itinéraire Imaginaire by Stephan Oliva, his solo album on Illusion (Film Noir) is great too. Oliva always produces interesting music, and often great music going from the jazz tradition to really avant-garde.

I would add the Mal Waldron with Lacy and Avenel to the list. I think there is a soundcloud page for atelier sawano, so you can have a listen before ordering.

I also have heard very good review of both records by Graillier but I haven't heard them.

Cheers,

Pierre

update: I forgot to add something about the label Minium, a box set was released in 2006 called Standard Visit which contained 6cd all by pianists (see: http://www.discogs.com/Various-Standard-Visit/release/3900704 ) with the addition of a bonus cd with versions of Lonely Woman by Ornette Coleman. it shows up sometimes on Ebay, really good box set.

Thanks Pierre. Will look into all of the above. And hope we see you back here with more good recommendations sooner!

Thanks for this thread. I've discovered some new pianists and rediscovered a few titles I'd forgotten about.

I'd like to add a couple to the list, first being Marc Copland - he's released a slew of trio, quartet, duet and solo titles for various European labels, many of which are nearly impossible to get.

His most recent release was as a member of the John Abercrombie Quartet - 39 Steps on ECM (which is available as a 24/88.2 download).

Second is Denny Zeitlin. He was a favorite of Bill Evans and opened for him many times. I'd start with the Mosaic 3CD box of his mid-'60s studio recordings for Columbia which include a number of unissued tracks from the original sessions.

Thanks.

Need to check out Copland.

On Zeitlin, I have a handful of albums. The reason why I haven't brought him up here is because I wanted this thread to focus more on the new contemporary generation of trios, and Zeitlin born 80 years ago didn't fit exactly that description :-) But no need to be dogmatic, so please keep them coming!

Hey, has anyone seen this? http://www.amazon.co.uk/E-S-T-Live-In-Stockholm-DVD/dp/B0000UN23M

Yes, I'm late to the party, but I love these guys too. The accident was an utter shame and I wish I could have seem them live. Also, if anyone knows how I can grab a copy of this in the US, please let me know.

Once again, thanks for this thread and Musicophile. It's definitely opened my world.

Please check your personal messages

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13498[/ATTACH]

Anyone have any trio/jazz on DSD to recommend?

Most of the recent recordings seem to be high-res PCM rather than DSD; so your best chance are SACD remasters of older recordings, e.g.

The Oscar Peterson Trio-We Get Requests-DSD | Acoustic Sounds

Bill Evans Trio-Moon Beams-DSD | Acoustic Sounds

Some recommendations:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13544[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13545[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13546[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13547[/ATTACH]

Roch

Mahalo for the recommendations.

Where can I get the Blue Minor DSD download?

While we are spending more of what we don't have, highly recommend Marialy Pacheco piano Jazz trio (Marialy on piano, electric bass, drums). There's a Cuban influence, with classical and rhythmic jazz. Not too acquainted with the purists of Jazz genres, so the description is a little rough from my end, but I really like this music, has structure, fusion, or even progressive rock!

Recorded this year in Germany, a 96/24 sounds like DSD, it's delicious, nice DR, great image, very clean recording.

Here's a link. Available from highresaudio.com

Marialy Pacheco.jpg

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA