IGNORED

Are we living in the Golden Age of the Jazz Piano Trio?

GoGo Penguin's albums are available as CD-resolution FLAC or ALAC files at Bandcamp UK. Ten pounds well spent, IMO.

Office: MacBook Pro - Audirvana Plus - Resonessence Concero - Cavailli Liquid Carbon - Sennheiser HD 800.

Travel/Portable: iPhone 7 or iPad Pro - AudioQuest Dragonfly Red - Audeze SINE or Noble Savant

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a high-res download available, so this is only redbook.

Well, it will never be one since they recorded the music 44.1/24. I got this info and a temporary link to a download 44.1/24 directly from Bernhard Schuler, the piano player from Triosence, as a courtesy.

Mihnea

Well, it will never be one since they recorded the music 44.1/24. I got this info and a temporary link to a download 44.1/24 directly from Bernhard Schuler, the piano player from Triosence, as a courtesy.

It's all a question of definition and personal opinion, but in my view 44.1/24 qualifies as high-resolution. I have heard instances where moving from 44.1/16 to 44.1/24 makes a noticeable difference to the quality of sound.

It's all a question of definition and personal opinion, but in my view 44.1/24 qualifies as high-resolution. I have heard instances where moving from 44.1/16 to 44.1/24 makes a noticeable difference to the quality of sound.

Well, I could do a small test with one of the tracks from the CD compared to one from the download, but I am not sure my ears are that good at spotting any differences :-)

I purchased Thierry Maillard Trio: The Alchemist off Qobuz a month ago, presented as 24/96 hirez. Analyzing it with Musicscope shows:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16701[/ATTACH]

No doubt an upsampled 16/44.1, with heavy compression. This smells of fraud!

The previous album from Thierry from 2013 was recorded in 24/44.

I suggest you send an email to their customer service to find out.

Do you have a link? I did a quick Google search but couldn't find it.

http://www.camjazz.com/8052405141514-no-way-out-cd.html

Bad news: I just noticed that is previous album on CamJazz, VivaVerdi, is also only available as redbook on Qobuz. So maybe there won't be a highrez version released of this either.

No Way Out - Giovanni Mirabassi

Bad news: I just noticed that is previous album on CamJazz, VivaVerdi, is also only available as redbook on Qobuz. So maybe there won't be a highrez version released of this either.

Thanks, I appreciate it. I assume from the discussion that it is in 16/44.1 format. The page doesn't seem to say. I wonder why they went with WAV as their lossless release format.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

Thanks, I appreciate it. I assume from the discussion that it is in 16/44.1 format. The page doesn't seem to say. I wonder why they went with WAV as their lossless release format.

I haven't downloaded it yet, but just assume that WAV without furher mention is redbook.

Why WAV beats me as well.

I haven't downloaded it yet, but just assume that WAV without furher mention is redbook.

Why WAV beats me as well.

Thanks. BTW, have you checked out Sound Liaison's new release? Only a duo (bass + piano) but very tasty:

IMPROMPTU

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

http://www.camjazz.com/8052405141514-no-way-out-cd.html

Yes it is and CamJazz seems to not sell high resolution files. BTW, I have listened quickly and not too much like the vibraphone addition here. VERDI i like more, but YMMV.

--

Krzysztof Maj

http://mkrzych.wordpress.com/

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

Yes it is and CamJazz seems to not sell high resolution files. BTW, I have listened quickly and not too much like the vibraphone addition here. VERDI i like more, but YMMV.

Agree, VivaVerdi is a nice album, I bought it while seeing his trio live last fall. Usually I don't like strings with Jazz, but this one does it nicely.

I'll probably end up buying the new one at CamJazz in the next days.

Agree, VivaVerdi is a nice album, I bought it while seeing his trio live last fall. Usually I don't like strings with Jazz, but this one does it nicely.

I'll probably end up buying the new one at CamJazz in the next days.

OK, report back please how you like it. Apropos strings in jazz I found latest Chris Potter album on ECM called Imaginary Cities exceptional!

--

Krzysztof Maj

http://mkrzych.wordpress.com/

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

OK, report back please how you like it. Apropos strings in jazz I found latest Chris Potter album on ECM called Imaginary Cities exceptional!

Just bought it now. What a stupid idea to offer WAV; basically zero tagging, not even track numbers. So threw it at XLD, now giving it some proper tagging and will be listening in a minute. Really looking forward to it. No cover art or booklet either by the way.

I'll also check out the Chris Potter, but his previous stuff wasn't really my cup of tea.