IGNORED

Are we living in the Golden Age of the Jazz Piano Trio?

Do you happen to have the 24/96 download? Is it worth the hefty premium?

naimlabel.com - Touch and Flee

Well, it is not a especially great sounding album, but the music is VERY good!

I like the placement of the instruments, the old fashioned way; piano left; drums in the middle and Bass to the right.

What I do not like so much is that the instrument sounds as if standing in different rooms, not like this old Ahmad Jamal recording where everything somehow gels together yet still has a similar placement in the stereo image;

But I like to have a recording that I like in the original recorded format. I guess in this case it was recorded in 2496 WAV so that's what I got.

Well, it is not a especially great sounding album, but the music is VERY good!

I like the placement of the instruments, the old fashioned way; piano left; drums in the middle and Bass to the right.

What I do not like so much is that the instrument sounds as if standing in different rooms, not like this old Ahmad Jamal recording where everything somehow gels together yet still has a similar placement in the stereo image;

But I like to have a recording that I like in the original recorded format. I guess in this case it was recorded in 2496 WAV so that's what I got.

Thanks I'll check it out.

Batik%20Hoes%20300%20shadow%20v2.pngThis one is not really a trio. Although one could argue that in essence it is ECM´s Wolfert Brederode and his Dutch trio with master guitarist Ed Verhoeff adding some warm soundscapes to the proceedings.

It is a marvelous sounding album, maybe the best sounding download I have bought this year.

The stereo image is well used, placing the instruments left to right, just like the two albums above. But in this case the sound is very cohesive. You clearly hear that the band is playing in the same room at the same time. That makes the unbelievable sound quality even more impressive. The album has such wonderful depth.

Or is it just me that really like those old recordings with everybody in the same room and this is a modern day version?

The music is not old though.

This is truly a concept album telling the Hemingway tale of the old man and the Sea.

It actually made me read the book again after 30 years while listening to the music. Great little book and great music.

[video=youtube;u35c-p-tSqU]

• 3 weeks later...

My latest discovery, 24/44 currently on sale at Qobuz. His latest 2014 album is with strings, not really for me, but this 2013 Crista Records/ Harmonia mundi recording is fun, energetic trio jazz.

3149028031027_600.jpg

Beyond the Ocean | Thierry Maillard Trio*– Télécharger et écouter l'album

SQ ok, not outstanding. DR of 9-11.

On some tracks, there are guest musicians. Unfortunately Qobuz provides no booklet, so I had to google them, and found them here:

http://www.thierrymaillard.com/images/pub-cd-beyond-the-ocean.pdf

I've made it through the first two "discs" of the new Chick Corea trio recording, "Trilogy" (with Christian McBride and Brian Blade) (96/24 download from PSM), and am blown away.

Office: MacBook Pro - Audirvana Plus - Resonessence Concero - Cavailli Liquid Carbon - Sennheiser HD 800.

Travel/Portable: iPhone 7 or iPad Pro - AudioQuest Dragonfly Red - Audeze SINE or Noble Savant

Another nice recent release, available in lossless redbook at CDBaby:

Ken Berman: Sound Poetry

Ken Berman: Jazz Pianist

AllAboutJazz' review is only so-so, but I still encourage you to check this out.

Ken Berman: Sound Poetry

It is not a "traditional" Jazz trio in the sense that Kai Eckhardt plays an electric bass, which gives some of the tracks more of a funky note, but the album is really worth listening to, especially the piano solo title track with the standard "Lush Life", which I really enjoy.

My latest discovery, 24/44 currently on sale at Qobuz. His latest 2014 album is with strings, not really for me, but this 2013 Crista Records/ Harmonia mundi recording is fun, energetic trio jazz.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14582[/ATTACH]

On some tracks, there are guest musicians. Unfortunately Qobuz provides no booklet, so I had to google them, and found them here:

http://www.thierrymaillard.com/images/pub-cd-beyond-the-ocean.pdf

Good find. This streams in redbook on WiMP. Fun to listen to.

Roon ->UltraRendu + CI Audio 7v LPS-> Kii Control -> Kii Three

Roon->BMC UltraDAC->Mr Speakers Aeon Flow Open

So I already broke the rule ones by presenting a quartet album here in this thread.

Now I will break it again with a duo album I downloaded this week.

This is Piano and Drums only, but because of master pianist Atsuko Kohashi and the imaginative playing of drummer Sebastiaan Kaptein, one does not miss the bass at all.

Somehow the recording keeps on evoking images of the great impressionistic painters,Van Gogh, Monet and Chagall (or was he a modernist?).

The recording quality is top notch, lots of depth but without sacrificing intimacy. The sound of the piano is perfectly captured here.

And a little side note; I had a small problem with playing the download which turned out to be entirely my own fault, but I had already sent a complaint to Sound Liaison. Within 2 hours I received a wetransfer file with the album and a note from Frans de Rond saying that I should let him know if I had any trouble playing them.

Unbelievable service, highly recommended.

Dual%20Tone%20Hoes%20300%20shadow%20v3.pngDualtone (WAV)

Batik%20Hoes%20300%20shadow%20v2.pngThis one is not really a trio. Although one could argue that in essence it is ECM´s Wolfert Brederode and his Dutch trio with master guitarist Ed Verhoeff adding some warm soundscapes to the proceedings.

It is a marvelous sounding album, maybe the best sounding download I have bought this year.

The stereo image is well used, placing the instruments left to right, just like the two albums above. But in this case the sound is very cohesive. You clearly hear that the band is playing in the same room at the same time. That makes the unbelievable sound quality even more impressive. The album has such wonderful depth.

Or is it just me that really like those old recordings with everybody in the same room and this is a modern day version?

The music is not old though.

This is truly a concept album telling the Hemingway tale of the old man and the Sea.

It actually made me read the book again after 30 years while listening to the music. Great little book and great music.

[video=youtube;u35c-p-tSqU]

• 3 weeks later...

Triosence just came out with a new live album:

One Summer Night:

One Summer Night (live) 2014 | Triosence

4260054555680_600.jpg

Given how much I like this band, I just bought it blindly from Qobuz. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a high-res download available, so this is only redbook. Will report back on how much I like it.

Triosence just came out with a new live album:

One Summer Night:

One Summer Night (live) 2014 | Triosence

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15040[/ATTACH]

Given how much I like this band, I just bought it blindly from Qobuz. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a high-res download available, so this is only redbook. Will report back on how much I like it.

Any comments on this? About ready to get it.

Listened to it this morning in the car, very nice. I'd certainly recommend it.

Cannot comment on SQ as travelling right now.

Hello Musicophile,

It sounds quite interesting, however I listened over the qobuz website, so wondering how do you rate the sound on hifi system? It's on the border of jazz/fusion I guess, but melodic without too much improvisation.

--

Krzysztof Maj

http://mkrzych.wordpress.com/

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

Hello Musicophile,

It sounds quite interesting, however I listened over the qobuz website, so wondering how do you rate the sound on hifi system? It's on the border of jazz/fusion I guess, but melodic without too much improvisation.

Am away from my hifi for the moment traveling, can only judge the sound via my B&W C5 iphone headphones, and it doesn't seem to be particularly audiophile. Great music though.

Am away from my hifi for the moment traveling, can only judge the sound via my B&W C5 iphone headphones, and it doesn't seem to be particularly audiophile. Great music though.

Yes, my feeling was the same, good music, but not so good sound - quite loud and compressed.

--

Krzysztof Maj

http://mkrzych.wordpress.com/

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, my feeling was the same, good music, but not so good sound - quite loud and compressed.

Checked the DR by now, somewhere between 9 and 11, ok but really not outstanding.

Back to topic: have posted this on the album of the evening thread, but not yet mentioned here:

Stefano Bollani: Stone in the Water. Typical ECM sound, available in 24/96 at the usual sources. Recommended.

Stone_in_the_Water.jpg

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14582[/ATTACH]

Error 404 - Not found

Good Stuff!

Thanks for posting!