IGNORED

Are we living in the Golden Age of the Jazz Piano Trio?

Lars Jansson trio.

Koan is a rich, multilayered recording and another good example of the quality of Swedish jazz in 2012 as it looks beyond its expansive borders for inspiration yet retains a distinctly clean, warm and daring sound.
''all about jazz'

highly recommended

$wm1_0x700_$_PCD137_cov.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

What a great thread - I created an account here to join in.

I have many of these albums mentioned here - big fan of Marcin Wasilewski, Mehldau and others - but a lot mentioned here are new to me, so this is going to be educational (and expensive!).

I haven't seen explicit reference to the two Brad Mehldau Trio albums released recently - Ode and Where Do You Start.

Where Do You Start is mostly covers. Some old (Brownie Speaks, Airegin), some modern (Got Me Wrong by Alice In Chains, Hey Joe, and a gorgeous Holland by Sufjan Stevens) plus BM's almost obligatory Nick Drake (here it's Time Has Told Me). There's also a BM tune called Jam that's excellent. Super stuff.

Ode is all originals, and may be the better album, and that's high praise. I really think it's his best collection of original tunes yet - highly recommended. I'm seeing him in Boulder in a couple of weeks - should be great!

I also recently saw the Christian McBride Trio in Denver - McBride on bass, Ulysses Owens on drums and Christian Sands on piano. They set out deliberately to play "straight-ahead", old-school bop style - and they're fantastic live. The album is Out Here.

And finally I'd like to add Fred Simon. He plays very melodically - at the opposite end of the spectrum perhaps from some of the ECM guys' impressionism - but it's lovely stuff. On the Naim label, there's a regular trio album Dreamhouse, plus a better album (imho) is a trio of Simon on piano, Steve Rodby (Pat Metheny Group) on bass and Paul McCandless (Oregon) on reeds - Remember The River.

Thanks to everybody who's chipped in with suggestions, this has been great reading (and listening).

iMac late 2009 8GB > Buffalo LinkStation LS-GL > APC H10 > ARCAM P90 > Totem Acoustic Sttaf | Sonos |FLAC

Hello all-

Does anybody know where I can find Tingvall trio in hirez, or even redbook? Not necessarily a cd, but a download. I'm having to luck with my searches.

I have Vagan and Skagerrak. Both I listen to a lot and I want more!

[h=1][/h]Thanks

Amazon USA:

Amazon.com: tingvall trio: Music

Amazon UK:

Amazon.co.uk: tingvall trio: Music

I think there is no high res available for DL.

Some of the best are out of print.

Roch

Amazon USA:

Amazon.com: tingvall trio: Music

Amazon UK:

Amazon.co.uk: tingvall trio: Music

I think there is no high res available for DL.

Some of the best are out of print.

Roch

Yes, unfortunately the Tingvalls are recording with a small German label that seems to think that downloads are still MP3 , and hasn't really embraced high-res at all.

I just noticed I never mentioned Martin Brunner in this thread. I only recently discovered his 2009 album "Behind the Clouds", and like it very much:

61uH5KC4D6L._SY450_.jpg

Music | www.martinbrunner.cz

His albums are available as FLAC downloads here:

ARTA - Položka zboží

What a great thread - I created an account here to join in.

I have many of these albums mentioned here - big fan of Marcin Wasilewski, Mehldau and others - but a lot mentioned here are new to me, so this is going to be educational (and expensive!).

I haven't seen explicit reference to the two Brad Mehldau Trio albums released recently - Ode and Where Do You Start.

Where Do You Start is mostly covers. Some old (Brownie Speaks, Airegin), some modern (Got Me Wrong by Alice In Chains, Hey Joe, and a gorgeous Holland by Sufjan Stevens) plus BM's almost obligatory Nick Drake (here it's Time Has Told Me). There's also a BM tune called Jam that's excellent. Super stuff.

Ode is all originals, and may be the better album, and that's high praise. I really think it's his best collection of original tunes yet - highly recommended. I'm seeing him in Boulder in a couple of weeks - should be great!

I also recently saw the Christian McBride Trio in Denver - McBride on bass, Ulysses Owens on drums and Christian Sands on piano. They set out deliberately to play "straight-ahead", old-school bop style - and they're fantastic live. The album is Out Here.

And finally I'd like to add Fred Simon. He plays very melodically - at the opposite end of the spectrum perhaps from some of the ECM guys' impressionism - but it's lovely stuff. On the Naim label, there's a regular trio album Dreamhouse, plus a better album (imho) is a trio of Simon on piano, Steve Rodby (Pat Metheny Group) on bass and Paul McCandless (Oregon) on reeds - Remember The River.

Thanks to everybody who's chipped in with suggestions, this has been great reading (and listening).

Welcome to the rabbit-hole of CA! Yes, this is a great thread.

Out Here is a blast. What a great rendition of Favorite Things..............

Hi,

for those of you wishing to spend even more money my suggestion is:

Mats Eilertsen Trio - Sails Set (2013). It comprises a lot of interesting compositions, and what is even more, the whole CD is excellently recorded.

Hope, you enjoy it.

Uwe

highly improvisational …and it's available in 24/96 here: Sails Set (24bit) by Mats Eilertsen Trio | GubeMusic

I like more their first Elegy album. Only in redbook, but more jazzy - more like Bobo Stenson's some albums.

--

Krzysztof Maj

http://mkrzych.wordpress.com/

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

To add a few...

Keith Jarrett Trio.........Somewhere

Eldar Djangirov...........Nature Boy

Helge Lien Trio...........Natsukashii

Kenny Barron.............Thrasher Dream Trio

Chick Corea...............Further Explorations

Hi Realhifi,

I kind of excluded Keith, Kenny and Chick from this thread in my opening, not because they are not great artists (Somewhere is just great for example), but because I wanted this to focus more on the next generation of artists that emerged in the last 15-20 years.

Thanks for sharing Eldar Djangirov. He absolutely flew under my radar so far, and I just checked out his website. I really like his new Breakthrough album. I'm also amazed that the same young guy also plays Brahms and Bach.

I'm just back from a virtual shopping trip on Qobuz:

Currently downloading are:

Hadouk Trio Live at Fip (redbook) - thanks guys for the recommendation

Jan Lundgren Trio: The Flowers Of Sendal (24/96) - the latest album of this Swedish pianist that I really liked on his solo album "Man in the Fog".

And two more earlier Triosence albums: First Enchantment and Away For A While, both redbook.

Will report back after more intensive listening sessions.

So far I don´t know the Triosence albums: First Enchantment and Away For A While. But I know When You Come Home (2008). It is a pleasure to listen to it. But I like more the three musicians being on par with each other. On this CD only the drummer sometimes catches up with the piano player. But the bass I would have liked to take over more often. Furthermore in my chain it lacks the depth of the recording room. Maybe, the sound engineer could have done more for the musicians?

I wonder what´s your opinion?

When You Come Home (2008). It is a pleasure to listen to it. But..

s-250-300-whenyoucomehome_cover.jpgI would like to add something: Somehow my ears felt irritated listening to this CD, signalizing me that something was not "correct" with it. So after i n v e r t i n g the songs it is even more pleasure to listen to them. Most of what I "critisized" has become untrue.

Maybe you can check it out easily if you own a DAC with such a feature. I don´t, so I have done it with a software called SoX:

http://sox.sourceforge.net

Happy Easter,

Uwe

Thanks for starting this thread! As others have attested, it's introduced me to a lot of new artists I otherwise never would have heard of. I've ordered a few of these from Amazon, and I'm anxious to hear them. Finally, I haven't seen a mention of the 'Camp Meeting' album by Bruce Hornsby, Christian McBride and Jack DeJohnette; I'd highly recommend it. Excellent recording, as well.

0708_hornsby_large.jpg

Thanks for starting this thread! As others have attested, it's introduced me to a lot of new artists I otherwise never would have heard of. I've ordered a few of these from Amazon, and I'm anxious to hear them. Finally, I haven't seen a mention of the 'Camp Meeting' album by Bruce Hornsby, Christian McBride and Jack DeJohnette; I'd highly recommend it. Excellent recording, as well.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11969[/ATTACH]

Man, amazing stuff! Do you have more like this ;-) It is REAL JAZZ.

--

Krzysztof Maj

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11928[/ATTACH]I would like to add something: Somehow my ears felt irritated listening to this CD, signalizing me that something was not "correct" with it. So after i n v e r t i n g the songs it is even more pleasure to listen to them. Most of what I "critisized" has become untrue.

Maybe you can check it out easily if you own a DAC with such a feature. I don´t, so I have done it with a software called SoX:

SoX - Sound eXchange | HomePage

Happy Easter,

Uwe

Yes, I've noticed the same - when I inverted polarity in A+ globally it sounds better, weird? Is it any option to invert polarity in A+ only for this album? I know that I can do it globally and also I can put INVERTPOLARITY in comment section, but where is that comment section? Is it enough to put this regex in iTunes comment when using proxy or I can add it into the FLAC file permanently somehow?

EDITED:

OK, I figured it out. To put this tag into iTunes comments it's not enough, A+ won't recognize it. You can use XLD and reconvert the files and embed than INVERTPOLARITY tag in XLD metadata section. It works.

--

Krzysztof Maj