IGNORED

Are we living in the Golden Age of the Jazz Piano Trio?

Hrm, a bit mixed emotions here. First of all, this album really doesn't belong in this thread, I agree the vibraphone is present pretty much everywhere.

First assessment: MJQ on speed. Some really strong tracks, some really average, but by far not an essential album like Architectures.

Well, I just book the €12 under support of an artist I really appreciate and who is absolutely worth seeing live. I'll give it some more spins in the next days to see if it grows on me.

Recording quality ok (DR12), but certainly not outstanding either.

Give the samples a listen before you buy this.

Hrm, a bit mixed emotions here. First of all, this album really doesn't belong in this thread, I agree the vibraphone is present pretty much everywhere.

First assessment: MJQ on speed. Some really strong tracks, some really average, but by far not an essential album like Architectures.

Well, I just book the €12 under support of an artist I really appreciate and who is absolutely worth seeing live. I'll give it some more spins in the next days to see if it grows on me.

Recording quality ok (DR12), but certainly not outstanding either.

Give the samples a listen before you buy this.

Yes, that's why I am bit reluctant for this album, since it's too much vibraphone everywhere. I hoped that it will be only kind of addition here and there in company to the piano, but the artists decided differently. I may skip this one becasue VERDI and Architectures are good enough for long listening sessions ;-)

--

Krzysztof Maj

http://mkrzych.wordpress.com/

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

• 2 weeks later...

European Jazz Trio.

I heard some of their music very recently (plenty of it in Youtube) and like it. They are known for playing jazz versions of pop and classical music but also play jazz standards They seem to be very popular in Japan. I would like to get some of their albums but they have an extensive discography. Does anybody has specific recomendations on where to start?

TIA

JoseL

• 1 month later...

Just stumbled across this thread ... My taste in jazz pianists leans toward Aaron Diehl, Gene Harris, and Oscar Peterson as well as the more avant garde Patricia Barber. And my response to the original question is absolutely yes we are living in the golden age of the jazz piano trio. What surprises me though is why, with all the terrific trios listed thus far, no one seems to have mentioned (unless I missed it) the Tsuyoshi Yamamoto Trio, which is actually my #1 favorite. His album Midnight Sugar is by now generally considered to be a classic. Tonight I'm listening to a more recent 2013 Yamamoto release "What a Wonderful World" (with Yamamoto on piano, Hiroshi Kagawa on bass, and Toshio Osumi on drums) which I think is the best of the seven Yamamoto albums that I own. But it's kind of hard to discriminate because truth is I give every one of the seven a perfect 10 for performance as well as a perfect 10 for audiophile grade sonics. The only downside to the Yamamoto Trio's music is that it is invariably pricey in the $25-$40 range (ouch!).

Tsuyoshi Yamamoto Trio - What a Wonderful World.jpg

... the Tsuyoshi Yamamoto Trio, which is actually my #1 favorite. His album Midnight Sugar is by now generally considered to be a classic.

+1 Fantastic music. Possibly among the best jazz recordings out there.

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

Just stumbled across this thread ... My taste in jazz pianists leans toward Aaron Diehl, Gene Harris, and Oscar Peterson as well as the more avant garde Patricia Barber. And my response to the original question is absolutely yes we are living in the golden age of the jazz piano trio. What surprises me though is why, with all the terrific trios listed thus far, no one seems to have mentioned (unless I missed it) the Tsuyoshi Yamamoto Trio, which is actually my #1 favorite. His album Midnight Sugar is by now generally considered to be a classic. Tonight I'm listening to a more recent 2013 Yamamoto release "What a Wonderful World" (with Yamamoto on piano, Hiroshi Kagawa on bass, and Toshio Osumi on drums) which I think is the best of the seven Yamamoto albums that I own. But it's kind of hard to discriminate because truth is I give every one of the seven a perfect 10 for performance as well as a perfect 10 for audiophile grade sonics. The only downside to the Yamamoto Trio's music is that it is invariably pricey in the $25-$40 range (ouch!).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17796[/ATTACH]

I have a handful of Yamamoto recordings but somehow in my head classified them as "audiophile" in the sense of well recorded but slightly dull. Probably I should give them another try

I have a handful of Yamamoto recordings but somehow in my head classified them as "audiophile" in the sense of well recorded but slightly dull. Probably I should give them another try

Would love to hear the results of your re-listening.

Would love to hear the results of your re-listening.

Listening to the FIM XRCD of Autumn in Seattle right now. Obviously first of all it shows how good redbook can be, but actually it certainly has a really nice foot tapping factor to it. So need to revise my judgment. The issue of a large music collection is that sometime you tend to just forget stuff. Luckily we have forums like this to remind me!

GoGo Penguin has signed with Blue Note. Hopefully their future work will get the wider attention it deserves.

Office: MacBook Pro - Audirvana Plus - Resonessence Concero - Cavailli Liquid Carbon - Sennheiser HD 800.

Travel/Portable: iPhone 7 or iPad Pro - AudioQuest Dragonfly Red - Audeze SINE or Noble Savant

Really enjoying Misty on Qobuz! Are What a Wonderful world or Midnight Sugar available for download anywhere?

Thanks

I don't know of downloads being available anywhere for What a Wonderful World or Midnight Sugar. I listen to DSF files of those albums but my DSF files were made from SACDs that I purchased which were then ripped to digital file format using PS3. Apart from Misty that you've accessed via Qobuz, Amazon has Yamamoto's Autumn in Seattle and Gentle Blues available as MP3. The new Tidal subscription service also has Autumn in Seattle available presumably with CD quality streaming.

Listening to the FIM XRCD of Autumn in Seattle right now. Obviously first of all it shows how good redbook can be, but actually it certainly has a really nice foot tapping factor to it. So need to revise my judgment. The issue of a large music collection is that sometime you tend to just forget stuff. Luckily we have forums like this to remind me!

The Autumn in Seattle that I have is that same FIM XRCD, and I agree 100% that it's a terrific example of how good redbook can be. I have several other XRCDs (all of mine are either FIM or JVC) and every one of those that I have is outstanding ... every bit the equivalent to my ears as physical SACD (played through an SACD player) or DSF digital files (played through a DSD capable DAC).

• 3 weeks later...
Shai Maestro has just released a new album (24/44), partially based on live recordings: Untold Stories.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18304[/ATTACH]

If, like me, you liked his two previous albums, this one is really worth getting. Quite decent recording quality, with a DR of 12-14.

I was reluctant, but maybe give them a try.

--

Krzysztof Maj

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

I was reluctant, but maybe give them a try.

Given that this is mostly a live album of their previous songs (with some new material on top) if you didn't like the previous albums you're probably not going to like it either. I personally like his style a lot, and having seen the trio live, they are even better than in the studio.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm breaking my own premise hear to talk only about CONTEMPORARY trios, and just want to point every piano trio lover to the recent highres remasters of Keith Jarrett's legendary Standards 1 & 2 from the early 1980s, see this long thread:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f13-music-downloads-and-streaming/new-keith-jarrett-24-96-remasters-qobuz-24339/

At €20 they are a bit expensive, but really well remastered and an improvement over earlier redbook CD releases. Audiophile and musical delights!

• 3 weeks later...

An amazing record has just been released.

„Now This“ is done by a new trio, each of the musicians however being well known for years or better to say decades.

Gary Peacock (his 80th birthday being only a few days back) has done this wonderful piece of music together with Joey Baron (dr) and Marc Copland (p). But it is not the kind of music alone that I find gorgeous, it is the very good work of ECM´s sound engineers too that highly pleases my ears.

https://www.highresaudio.com/artist.php?abid=391846

Regards,

Uwe

2428-gary-peacock-trio-now-this.jpg

I registered on CA so I could get some information on FLAC players...and then I saw this thread. I mainly listen to piano trios, so reading through this thread will be fun.

Well, here are my first recommendations: Ismael Dueñas Trio and Glerum Omnibus.

I'll post more after I read the whole thread.

Edit: I thought I was familiar with just about any modern trio on Earth...and just by reading the first page I was able to discover six new artist I did not know existed. Thanks to the posters in this thread.

An amazing record has just been released.

„Now This“ is done by a new trio, each of the musicians however being well known for years or better to say decades.

Gary Peacock (his 80th birthday being only a few days back) has done this wonderful piece of music together with Joey Baron (dr) and Marc Copland (p). But it is not the kind of music alone that I find gorgeous, it is the very good work of ECM´s sound engineers too that highly pleases my ears.

https://www.highresaudio.com/artist.php?abid=391846

Regards,

Uwe

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18853[/ATTACH]

Quite good. Here is my thread about it: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f14-music-analysis-objective-and-subjective/new-gary-peacock-trio-album-what-do-you-think-24378/ and DR values.

--

Krzysztof Maj