IGNORED

Are we living in the Golden Age of the Jazz Piano Trio?

Another Polish trio I have on my tentative shopping list is this one:

Marek Jakubowski Trio: My Own | Marek Jakubowski Trio*– Télécharger et écouter l'album

Marek Jakubowski: My Own (24/44).

Does anybody have it yet?

Nope, but I've just ordered the CD waiting for delivery.

--

Krzysztof Maj

http://mkrzych.wordpress.com/

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

May I add a few that you probably will not easily hear about:

Bernardo Sassetti Trio

Nocturno - Bernardo Sassetti | Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards | AllMusic

The late Sassetti...great trio, superb play, in a lyrical mood.

Here, playing "Motion", another great album

In Motion it's based on the trio, but not limited to it, as you hear other instruments and sounds, in a very evocative work of the motion pictures world...

Bernardo Sassetti Trio

In Motion it's based on the trio, but not limited to it, as you hear other instruments and sounds, in a very evocative work of the motion pictures world...

Yet another Italian, after Mirabassi and Alboran. Interesting! Thanks for sharing.

Can't .. stop .. ordering ..

• Helge Lien Trio - "Hello Troll"

• Stefan Aeby Trio - "Are You.. ?"

• Giovanni Mirabassi - "Architectures" (yes, I paid too much for this!)

Aeby has just published a new album, I may end up getting this as well:

Stefan Aeby Trio - Utopia

Bernardo Sassetti Trio

Just listening to Nocturno. Very nice!

By the way, need to correct myself, the guy is actually not Italian but Portuguese, and I only just read he passed away in an accident in 2012 at the age of 41. What a loss.

Yet another Italian, after Mirabassi and Alboran. Interesting! Thanks for sharing.

The "etti" in "Sassetti fooled you. But please, he's Portuguese!

little trivia: you might have "crossed paths" with him when he played in Antonhy's Minghella Soundtrack for The Talented Mr. Ripley, in case you saw the movie...

My Funny Valentine Music Video (from the Talented Mr Ripley)sung by matt damon) - YouTube

Matt Damon really does a kind of "Chet" fragiel singing there...

Just listening to Nocturno. Very nice!

By the way, need to correct myself, the guy is actually not Italian but Portuguese, and I only just read he passed away in an accident in 2012 at the age of 41. What a loss.

Thaks for the correction, just noticed after my answer to you...

The big loss is really felt here.

I share the opinion that Bernardo was the most inventive piano player (in the Poruguese scene) and the one that evolved more in the relatively short career he had.

I saw him playing very young and influenced by Caribbean rhytms, and moving into a much more personal style, several albums later.

Saw him many times in concert, the last one on a very small intimate room, when he played solo at a party for his label, trem azul (Indigo | Trem Azul). Solo playing was also a specialty of him.

He was outstanding live, using an enormous technical ability in service for this harmonic and melodic ideas...

From his short and brilliant career, we can only imagine how far he could reach...

I share the opinion that Bernardo was the most inventive piano player (in the Poruguese scene) and the one that evolved more in the relatively short career he had.

I saw him playing very young and influenced by Caribbean rhytms, and moving into a much more personal style, several albums later.

Saw him many times in concert, the last one on a very small intimate room, when he played solo at a party for his label, trem azul (Indigo | Trem Azul). Solo playing was also a specialty of him.

He was outstanding live, using an enormous technical ability in service for this harmonic and melodic ideas...

From his short and brilliant career, we can only imagine how far he could reach...

Great recommendation - thanks for sharing! Really enjoying that album now (Nocturno).

Devialet 500, Moon MiND 180, Wilson Sophia 3, Transparent Reference XL digital interconnects, Chord Sarum speaker cable

Great recommendation - thanks for sharing! Really enjoying that album now (Nocturno).

Devialet 500, Moon MiND 180, Wilson Sophia 3, Transparent Reference XL digital interconnects, Chord Sarum speaker cable

Glad you liked it.

It was recorded in a very special piano, the Yamaha of Maria João Pires (the classical piano player) at Belgais (her former "cottage" and school); and the piano is showcasing a rich sound that suite's Bernardo's mood at the time...

The "Indigo" album from Sassetti also was recorded in the same place and instrument, but in that case, a solo work.

Glad you liked it.

It was recorded in a very special piano, the Yamaha of Maria João Pires (the classical piano player) at Belgais (her former "cottage" and school); and the piano is showcasing a rich sound that suite's Bernardo's mood at the time...

The "Indigo" album from Sassetti also was recorded in the same place and instrument, but in that case, a solo work.

Thanks for the intro to Sassetti. Really starting to like his stuff.

Found this while looking him on wikipedia ...

His 2006 album Unreal: Sidewalk Cartoon received a four-star rating (of a possible four) in The Penguin Guide to Jazz (9th ed.),[6] and was selected for The Penguin Jazz Guide: The History of the Music in the 1000 Best Albums.

Would be interested to hear more about this album if you have it.

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

Thanks for the intro to Sassetti. Really starting to like his stuff.

Found this while looking him on wikipedia ...

Would be interested to hear more about this album if you have it.

I don't have it yet...but is more adventurous stuff, inspired by stories and cinema and less melodic (much more emphasis on rhythm)... There was a book accompanying the disc. He plays with grouping "Drumming" (including things like still drums) and more diversified instruments in a intent to "tell a story". The story is about excess (of information, of sound, of art) in our society, and it may be or not a successful communication with the listener...so it's more "demanding". I guess one day I will dive into it.

Besides the ones mention, I recommend "Motion", that absorbs a lot form the cinema world of Sassetti (he was a cinema fan) and motion pictures...Easy on surface, very imaginative...grows in you in each listening.

Sassetti was multifaceted, and one of his projects was "3 pianos", having 3 other players on stage (one of them, Laginha, another of our best ones) was interesting...

Maybe we could her some echos of Debussy and Satie in this lovely piece...

I don't have it yet...but is more adventurous stuff, inspired by stories and cinema and less melodic (much more emphasis on rhythm)... There was a book accompanying the disc. He plays with grouping "Drumming" (including things like still drums) and more diversified instruments in a intent to "tell a story". The story is about excess (of information, of sound, of art) in our society, and it may be or not a successful communication with the listener...so it's more "demanding". I guess one day I will dive into it.

Besides the ones mention, I recommend "Motion", that absorbs a lot form the cinema world of Sassetti (he was a cinema fan) and motion pictures...Easy on surface, very imaginative...grows in you in each listening.

Sassetti was multifaceted, and one of his projects was "3 pianos", having 3 other players on stage (one of them, Laginha, another of our best ones) was interesting...

Maybe we could her some echos of Debussy and Satie in this lovely piece...

Very interesting. Pity we lost him early ... beautiful music!

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

Would someone please be so kind and share the proper pronunciation of Stefan Aeby. "Aeby" in particular.

Just ripped "and you...?" btw.

Well he's Swiss, so the pronunciation is particularly tricky.

Stefan is pronounced something like steffun (the "e" open, similar to "bet", and the "a" similar to "fun").

Aeby would be somewhat close to Aybee.