IGNORED

Favorite Live Albums

tne

Erykah Badu's Baduizm was the album of my summer of 1997. I think that's the only thing I listened to all summer on repeat. Then she came out that fall with the Live album from Baduizm. It was a totally different experience. More organic, more groovy, more sexy. The real drums did make It earthier than the (great) studio trickery of Baduizm.

Erykah Badu Live 1997. Great great stuff and great memories!

Another similar live album is Jill Scott's Experience Jill Scott 826+ from 2001. It brings the studio Who Is Jill Scott? album to another level. Great stuff too.

Enjoy!

Arcam rDAC / Oppo BDP-83 / NAD 315BEE / Totem Arro

Neil Young at Massey Hall is great. if you like Massey, check out Silver & Gold DVD from 1999. It contains a 48/24 PCM layer that rips smooth as butter with DVDAE. Sounds good and great track selection from this era. "Philadelphia" live.

Dave Brubeck Quartet: Jazz in Oberlin. Paul Desmond tears through How High the Moon. Worth the price of admission. He's so good, you can hear Dave laughing in the backgound.

The Doors: Live in Concert. Double Disc from 1991.

Grateful Dead, Europe '72. And Dick's Picks Vol. 2.

Jimi Hendrix Band of Gypsys

Dave Mathews Band: The Central Park Concert. This DVD has 48/24 PCM layer.

Jack Johnson: En Concert. Whole family loves it. Has "Constellations" with Eddie Vedder.

My other favorites are not commercially available.

Live Pink Floyd 1971 I bought from a market in Cambridge, England.

Iron & Wine 2007 Tour of Europe, soundboard recordings from playedlastnight.com (no longer).

I don't think any of these have been mentions...

Pink Floyd - Pulse

Mark Knopfler and Emmylou Harris - Real Live Road Running and

Cowboy Junkies - Trinity Revisited.

Oh but give me the DVD with pictures any day over the pure CD even if technically the sound quality if better on CD...

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Erykah Badu's Baduizm was the album of my summer of 1997. I think that's the only thing I listened to all summer on repeat. Then she came out that fall with the Live album from Baduizm. It was a totally different experience. More organic, more groovy, more sexy. The real drums did make It earthier than the (great) studio trickery of Baduizm.

Another similar live album is Jill Scott's Experience Jill Scott 826+ from 2001. It brings the studio Who Is Jill Scott? album to another level. Great stuff too.

Enjoy!

In a similar genre the Maxwell album for MTV Unplugged is stellar for Redbook. Its truly a front row seat. I also echo the DMB Central Park Concert.

LCD Soundsystem - Shut Up and Play the Hits

Bill Evans Trio - Waltz for Debbie (sound of dinnerware, and all)

Peter Gabriel - Plays Live

Bruce Cockburn - Live

Joe Jackson - Big World (Recorded live under controlled conditions. Has all of the energy of a live recording, but without crowd interference)

I guess no Kiss or Peter Frampton fans here LOL

Frampton was a member of Humble Pie during their heyday, and on the aformentioned "Fillmore" album, although it was always Steve Marriott's band, and they were great.

How Peter achieved such superstardom on the back of that one mega-selling live album is still a mystery, but these things do happen in the music business. To wit:

My wife often tells the story of seeing Kiss open for Springsteen, and her companion at that show, a good musician himself, laughed, and said "these guys are never going to make it." However they did it, most sane folks would agree that it certainly was not on the basis of musical talent.

+1 for Little Feat and Bruce Cockburn!!

Also Poi Dog Pondering's Liquid White Light. Their studio albums are a little more soulful, the live one is a party.

BoDean's Joe Dirt Car, far superior, IMHO to Homebrewed.

Family Room: Panny TCP65S2, Panny BDP-55, DTV HR-24, SB Touch, Schiit Bifrost Multibit, Yamaha RX-V3900, Emotiva XPA-3, Rocket NM 550's, Rocket 150's, X-CS, UFW-10, Harmony 700.

Computer Room: Dell laptop, Uptone Regen Amber, Schiit Bifrost Multibit, Decware SE84C+, Zu Omen, ALO National, Mr.Speakers Mad Dog headphones

Enjoy!

So true.

Where is she now?

don't forget about eric clapton - mtv unplugged. absolutely phenomenal!

Cream played at my little town's high school gym in 1967, during their first US tour, for $3 at ticket. Of course, none of us dumb kids went, because we didn't know who they were until "Sunshine of Your Love" hit the airwaves a few weeks later. I'm still kicking myself to this day for that one.

However, I refused to pay $400 to see their reunion concert at Madison Square Garden in 2005. I bought the DVD instead, watched it once, then donated it to the public libarary. Even Clapton admitted that show stank.

I'll never understand why he gave up playing PAF-equipped Gibson guitars through Marshall amps, which produced that classic, fat British distortion that he invented, in favor of twangy Fender Strats through the nasal-sounding Fender tweeds and Victoria clone amps that he now prefers. Yuck.

G-d do I miss John Cippolina from Quicksilver what an incredible guitarist and I was fortunate enough to see him once. Your list includes some truly wonderful recordings ... enjoy.

HQ Player (#1) & Audrivana (#2) (wow! love the Apple w/music!!) .. these two software make my system "Amazing!", Purist USB- Benchmark DAC2 HGC (love it!), Purist Audio XLR , ATC SCM25A's (To Die For!) & Focal sub6 . Triode Power Cables with Uber Buss (Yes!) Also enjoy Audeze LCD3 w/"fat pipe cardas."

I'm so embarrassed that I forgot to include the Nirvana MTV Unplugged. I just thought of it while at a restaurant where they played "Lake of Fire" on repeat for the last 2 hours.

Big +1 on this. I bought the DVD and ripped it to my PC to replace a crummy 128kbps rip from the original CD that I lost sometime during a move. I find it interesting the choices they made in "editing" some of the interchanges/dialogue between tracks out from the CD versus the DVD...

Office: iPod classic/iPad -> Shure SE425 IEM Home: Oppo BDP-83/Synology DS211j -> Integra DTR-7.8 -> Revel speakers

Les McCann & Eddie Harris, "Swiss Movement."

As far as live Cockburn is concerned, I prefer "Circles in the Stream" to "Live."

Adams (LA Phil/Dudamel), "City Noir."

Branford Marsalis Quartet, "A Love Supreme Live in Amsterdam."

Office: MacBook Pro - Audirvana Plus - Resonessence Concero - Cavailli Liquid Carbon - Sennheiser HD 800.

Travel/Portable: iPhone 7 or iPad Pro - AudioQuest Dragonfly Red - Audeze SINE or Noble Savant

Les McCann & Eddie Harris, "Swiss Movement."

As far as live Cockburn is concerned, I prefer "Circles in the Stream" to "Live."

Adams (LA Phil/Dudamel), "City Noir."

Branford Marsalis Quartet, "A Love Supreme Live in Amsterdam."

Don't have a live Cockburn album, but saw him live and he was great. Little Feat - Big regret there, had tickets to see them when Lowell George was still amongst us, but then they scheduled a law school final exam for the next morning, which was the entire grade for the class. Had to sell my tickets.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Don't have a live Cockburn album, but saw him live and he was great. Little Feat - Big regret there, had tickets to see them when Lowell George was still amongst us, but then they scheduled a law school final exam for the next morning, which was the entire grade for the class. Had to sell my tickets.

I've seen Cockburn live half a dozen times, most recently last year with Jenny Scheinman, and he never disappoints.

I was fortunate enough to see Little Feat on that last tour before Lowell's death, on a good night (Capitol Theatre in Passaic, NJ), and they tore the roof off the joint. I had tickets to see Lowell at the Bottom Line the weekend before he died, but an additional friend came into town unexpectedly and there were no additional tickets to be had, so I sold my two and we went to see Pat Metheny instead. Oh well.

Office: MacBook Pro - Audirvana Plus - Resonessence Concero - Cavailli Liquid Carbon - Sennheiser HD 800.

Travel/Portable: iPhone 7 or iPad Pro - AudioQuest Dragonfly Red - Audeze SINE or Noble Savant

Patricia Barber, Companion

Lenny Breau, Live at Bourbon Street

Bonnie Raitt, Bonnie Raitt and Friends

The Weavers, Reunion at Carnegie Hall

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

• 4 weeks later...

One of my Favorites!

Ahmad Jamal - Ahmad's Blues (Live at the Spotlight) ambient noises and all!

61LYSpbnmtL.jpg

Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds - Live at Radio City. Definitely have to like Dave Matthews, but it's a very surreal experience at how good the night was. I definitely like the Blu-ray much better as the audio quality is stunning on it, but the CD does not fall short by any means.

749e808a8da0a9b2029b5110.L.jpg