IGNORED

Who's used the Audiophile Optimizer for Windows 2012 Server or Windows 8?

Hi,

In order to install roon with AO and win server R2 i need to install my video card driver right ? 

How should i install roon on AO ( last officiel ) and win server R2 ? 

Can you help me please ? I have a vga screen error as soon as try to start roon.

Thanks.

On 4/23/2017 at 10:19 AM, highend-pcdoctor said:

Hey Johnseye, when you install AO 2.20 beta5 you will be flying First Class. :)

Oh I'm sure.  "Put me in coach" is a reference to someone wanting to be put in play, like in playing in a baseball game.  Not looking for coach class with AO.  Looking forward to the upgrade.

This has turned into a really interesting post with lots of great info, suggestions and observations. This IS one of the best things about AO; our HUGE and active community of users who never tire of their quest for audio nirvana. ALL of you are one of the main reasons I started using AO and I hope you all know how much you add to the entire AO experience. Without YOU (and obviously, Phil), AO just wouldn't have the same appeal that it has WITH you! 

I have a question for those of you this pertains to, and for Phil as well. I have a somewhat involved setup so please bear with me when I start explaining how I use AO. My question is; 

From a sound quality perspective, how does Windows Server 2016 running in Core mode compare to Windows Server 2012 R2 running in Core mode? 

So far, I have two instances of Windows Server 2012 R2 running AO (last version of 1.4) and one instance of Windows 10 Pro 64-bit running AO 2.20 B4. Of the two Server 2012 R2 instances, one is running in Core mode and the other is running in GUI/desktop mode. The Core instance is for music playback only while the GUI/desktop instance is for music recording and playback (editing, mixing, mastering, etc.) using a variety of DAW software. The Windows 10 Pro instance is for recording and playback using Avid Pro Tools v12. 

Avid Pro Tools will not run on ANY version of Windows Server. It will install, but it won't run. It (Pro Tools) is THE best DAW software on the planet and is what I was using in my studio computer prior to installing Windows Server 2012 R2 and AO. I only installed Windows 10 so I could run Pro Tools again AND AO on the same computer. Each instance of Server 2012 R2 and Windows 10 runs from a separate SSD configured in Tri-Boot on my studio computer. In other words, I can boot directly into any one of the three operating systems whenever I want to. 

For those of your who are wondering how AO running on Windows 10 compares to Windows Server 2012 R2 in core mode, there simply is no comparison. Don't get me wrong here; running AO on Windows 10 sounds GREAT, but it does not compare to AO running on Server 2012 R2 in Core mode. The difference between the two is striking and immediately apparent, but I HAVE to run Windows 10 to be able to use Pro Tools. There just isn't any way around it. I worked with Phil on this one (over a year ago) and we tried every trick in the book to get Pro Tools running under Server 2012 R2, but to no avail. It took WEEKS to finally get Avid to admit that they're somehow preventing and/or blocking it from running under Windows Server, although they wouldn't tell me WHY. That's all ancient history at this point and I've since moved on.

At any rate, I'm just wondering if anyone who is running AO under Windows Server 2016 was previously running it under Windows Server 2012 R2 and how they compared, sound-wise. Is there an obviously and immediately apparent (audio) advantage to switching to Server 2016 over 2012 R2, or is it too subtle of a difference to justify the additional expense? 

Coming from dual PC 2012 Core to dual PC 2016 Core, there's no going back. The SQ difference [read: improvement] is obvious from get-go, before applying AO and other optimization programs.

WS2019 Core Datacenter, dualPC, JPLAY Femto, AO3, Fidelizer Pro 8.8, MC2XY, IOS app.

1 hour ago, thuandb said:

Coming from dual PC 2012 Core to dual PC 2016 Core, there's no going back. The SQ difference [read: improvement] is obvious from get-go, before applying AO and other optimization programs.

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I don't have room in my studio setup for another computer, nor do I really need or want another one in there. I read the same thing about Server 2012 R2 and the 'dual computer' setup, and while that's certainly an appealing option, I just don't have the space for it. 

Is it safe to assume that a single computer running 2016 core will sound better than a single computer running 2012 R2, or is that a setup you never made a sound quality comparison of? 

1 hour ago, Big AL said:

At any rate, I'm just wondering if anyone who is running AO under Windows Server 2016 was previously running it under Windows Server 2012 R2 and how they compared, sound-wise. Is there an obviously and immediately apparent (audio) advantage to switching to Server 2016 over 2012 R2, or is it too subtle of a difference to justify the additional expense? 

Hi Big AL,

this post might be helpful for you with some more details:

Take care

Thomas

DIY coax tractrix horn system 2 corner subwoofer /// 6 full digital amplifier D802 floating PSU 12V battery & caps/filter /// Active crossover @ Acourate Convolver & room correction@MC30 /// General 2 PC setup: floating PSU picoless battery & caps/filter powered Bicker DC160W: PC1(Player) - individual stripped MS RamOS with JPlay /// PC2: Server 2016 RamOS - AO 2.0b5 - Acourate Convolver - online convolving & crossover /// Chain: PC1 - USB - F-1 - SPdif coax - Mutec MC3.1+ USB - SPdif coax - FireFace UCX floating PSU 12V battery & caps/filter - USB - PC2 - FireFace UCX - Adat LWL - Mutec MC-4 - 3 x SPdif coax - D802 Low/ D802 Middle / D802 High - 2 Stereo Lab KWH250 with BMS 4590 plus 2 modified corner subwoofer Abacus ABS210

Big Al:

on the sponsored forum for AO, there are many posts from users running in core mode using AO beta on Server 2016.

those users universally report a clear improvement in SQ when using Server 2016 in core mode, in comparison to using Server 2012 R2 in core mode.  

While I use AO with Server 2012 R2 in core mode, I have not installed 2016, so I can not report my personal experience--but on that forum, many others have made the comparison and reported their (universally positive) impressions.

Hi, I'm new to AO and testing out the various settings.  I had read that WASAPI is supposed to be preferred over ASIO.  However, when I select WASAPI in HQPlayer, I cannot output DSD, just PCM.  Is this normal behavior?  Thanks, Hammer

13 hours ago, Hammer said:

Hi, I'm new to AO and testing out the various settings.  I had read that WASAPI is supposed to be preferred over ASIO.  However, when I select WASAPI in HQPlayer, I cannot output DSD, just PCM.  Is this normal behavior?  Thanks, Hammer

Yes - use ASIO for DSD.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100

There is a BIOS setting called 'SpeedStep', for Intel CPUs. AMD calls it 'Cool n' Quiet'. If you force (set) that option to 'Enabled', your CPU should throttle down under idle loads. That said, I have no idea what AO might be doing to disable those features. You'll have to ask Phil that question.

After spending more time with AO on Server 2012r2, I notice that any activity on the pc will cause the sound to stutter or Roon to stop.  For example, if I RDP into the system, sound will stop coming from Roon and I'll have to hit the pause button and then the play button to resume the music.  Eg., Roon is not in pause mode, it's just that the music has stopped/interrupted by my RDPing into the pc.

Any idea why why this Is?  When I was on Windows 10, I didn't have these isssues and so I am thinking my hardware is sufficient (i7 6700k with 16 GB RAM).  I run RoonServer and HQPlayer on this machine.

Thank you.

On Saturday, May 06, 2017 at 9:37 AM, ms012873 said:

Big Al:

on the sponsored forum for AO, there are many posts from users running in core mode using AO beta on Server 2016.

those users universally report a clear improvement in SQ when using Server 2016 in core mode, in comparison to using Server 2012 R2 in core mode.  

While I use AO with Server 2012 R2 in core mode, I have not installed 2016, so I can not report my personal experience--but on that forum, many others have made the comparison and reported their (universally positive) impressions.

I  don't know why that on my system running HQPlayer with NAA, I feel WS 2012 R2 is better than WS 2016. AO is also used in both WS OS.

On 5/7/2017 at 7:47 PM, Hammer said:

After spending more time with AO on Server 2012r2, I notice that any activity on the pc will cause the sound to stutter or Roon to stop.  For example, if I RDP into the system, sound will stop coming from Roon and I'll have to hit the pause button and then the play button to resume the music.  Eg., Roon is not in pause mode, it's just that the music has stopped/interrupted by my RDPing into the pc.

Any idea why why this Is?  When I was on Windows 10, I didn't have these isssues and so I am thinking my hardware is sufficient (i7 6700k with 16 GB RAM).  I run RoonServer and HQPlayer on this machine.

Thank you.

i have this happen when i rdp into my win10 machine -- i log into the machine via rdp and whatever is playing stops (same thing when exiting rdp).  it used to not happen, but it's not a big enough deal for me to troubleshoot.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100

Interesting...I RDP into my Roon + HQP pc all the time without any issues.  My Server 2012 R2 pc is using an old i7-3770s pc with only 8gb of RAM.  Even when I am running DSD512 and my cpu is almost maxed out at 70-80%, I can RDP.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Hi

this is the default behavior of an rdp connection if you do not disable audio redirection. The rdp client tries to refirect the audio from the remote to your local machine. Thats why all suddenly stops then.

you need to open the options, remote and select "play sound on remote computer" before you click on connect.

no more interuptions then :)

ıllıllı [  ...AO 4.00 BETA... ] ıllıllı
____________________________________________________________________________________

Shop | Reviews | Reference System | AudiophileOptimizer 3.00 | PDF Guide

Hello Folks

For those heading to High-End 2017 in Munich please feel free to visit us at the SOtM Audio booth! :) We'll be on site from Thursday to Saturday afternoon.

2017-HighEnd_SOtM.png

See you there,

AudioPhil

____________________________________________________________________________________

On 5/11/2017 at 11:09 AM, AudioPhil said:

Hi

this is the default behavior of an rdp connection if you do not disable audio redirection. The rdp client tries to refirect the audio from the remote to your local machine. Thats why all suddenly stops then.

you need to open the options, remote and select "play sound on remote computer" before you click on connect.

no more interuptions then :)

That post should have got more likes. Glad I read this thread. AudioPhil, I'm going to be a purchaser of AO in the near future. Became familiar with Roon+HQP at the weekend and have them installed and configured on a "general purpose/gaming PC" and a laptop endpoint, but am looking at a more dedicated one-box or two-box solution. Also waiting for more reports on Windows server 2016 and the drivers for my Lampizator Atlantic DAC. I read the manual pdf you published and it all makes sense.

TT VPI Prime Signature/Benz Micro LP-S DACs Lampizator Golden Atlantic, Lampizator Euforia DSD Preamps Mac C500T, Mac MX121 Amps Mac MC75 60th Ann. (*2), Mac MC205, Glenn 300B Speakers Dynaudio C1 Platinum, B&W 804S Headphones LCD-3, LCD-4
Mobile: AK240, Shure 846

Hi

the thread is old... its back from a time where it was no possible to give likes :-)

but to compensate it has views in the 6 figure range and is one of the most viewed threads of this forum, thats not bad either.

I organized a Dinner in Munich for tomorrow and Lukasz Fikus of Lampizator will be there as well. I will ask him about the driver and server 2016, lets see. But basically all drivers work in the end, so not much to worry about.

This here might be inspirational for you as well, have a look: https://pdf.highend-audiopc.com/reference-system.pdf

If you're going to build a dedicated setup you should definitely visit our shop. What you see over there works wonderfully well, delivers as advertised and all parts have my "approval".

all the best,

AudioPhil

On 17.5.2017. at 4:20 PM, AudioPhil said:

Hello Folks

For those heading to High-End 2017 in Munich please feel free to visit us at the SOtM Audio booth! :) We'll be on site from Thursday to Saturday afternoon.

2017-HighEnd_SOtM.png

See you there,

AudioPhil

Hi @AudioPhil, it was great meeting you yesterday at the SOTM stand and chatting a bit regarding different computer upgrades. I intend to buy your software as soon as I get a dedicated server PC and move away from my work PC.

Hi,

I'm running AO 2.20 on WS2012R2 minimal server mode

I just signed up for Qobuz Sublime+ Hires streaming proposal.

Until now I streamed Qobuz CD quality files through BubbleDS and Jplay streamer

However, Jplay streamer doesn't support HiRes streaming according to Marcin and Josef

questions:

- Is there a way to replace JPLAY streamer for HiRes on my configuration ?

- as a temporary solution I run Qobuz desktop successfully but loosing the remote option BubbleDS of course

- running ST and trying to select Qobuz as shell, AO asks me to put Qobuz in the right directory (which one ??)

thanks

Chris

Hello Chris

ServiceTool is looking for Application XY (this applies for all shell replacements) in its default installation directory. It actually checks if Application XY is where it is expected to be before it actually applies the shell replacement. Without that check you could end up with a black screen..

Qobuz is expected at: C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\QobuzDesktop\QobuzDesktop.exe

Best,

AudioPhil

Hi,

I have tried AO 2.20 on both WS2012R2 minimal server mode and W10 Pro

- the combination W10 and AO2.20 with OpenHome renderer (OpenHome.org) and Bubble UpnP works fine for Qobuz up to 24/192
  (a real SQ improvement over Jplaystreamer and Qobuz at 16/44 on the same system))

- is there a way to install OpenHome renderer (or equivalent) on WS2012 minimal server or even better in core mode  

I couldn't figure it out :(

thanks

best

Chris