IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

On 3/5/2020 at 6:57 PM, wklie said:

@Kray Please try different sample rate music - 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz, 176.4kHz, 192kHz.  If you don't have that many, use the Lumin custom re-sampling to upsample 44.1kHz to 88.2kHz and 176.4kHz.

Another thing to try is different inputs to your DAC, e.g. toslink.

Please also try another cable.

thanks. I’ve tried several sample rates and different cables. Two different rca coax and an optical. If I disconnect everything. Turn off DAC and lumin. Reboot with only a rca cable connected. DAC shows it’s connected over rca. Lumin will play music but no sound. The only way to get sound from Rca is to connect usb at same time. Once i do that I switch the usb on DAC it works, then I can switch the rca and it works. 

warranty ends in a week so need to get this resolved or replaced. 

Each feature request needs to be evaluated from user demand, marketing, company direction, technical feasibility, how it integrates with our existing features and UX implications, etc.  When a feature is decided it will be prioritized against the other developments.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

F208Frank, Thank you for asking this question...  In my opinion, with my system, room, ears and brain, Roon seems to sound a touch warmer when streaming local music files and Qobuz...  I don't necessarily like it any better or worse as it is a very slight touch of warmth...  I stream native and don't up or down sample or filter anywhere in the pipeline...  I would like to add that Roon does handle Internet Radio stations better in that Roon gives one the opportunity to stream at multiple speeds/resolutions native to the station you are streaming from...  Tune-in does not allow this which is pretty disappointing for me...  All I seem to be able to find are AAC and MP3 with the Lumin App/Tune-in while Roon suggest there are several formats/speeds available like FLAC, AAC and MP3...  I have only recently tried Roon and other than tying up my laptop I am liking Roon so far just for the Internet Radio capabilities...  For Qobuz and local file access the Lumin App/MinimServer is fine...

A digital dude trapped in an analogue body...

MacBookPro (Roon or Audirvana or MinimServer) > Wifi/ethernet > or iPhone Xs (Lumin App) > Wifi/ethernet > Lumen U1 Mini > Chord Qutest > PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium Tubed Pre > McIntosh MC152 SS Amp > Martin Logan ESLs > Treated Room...

3 hours ago, F208Frank said:

Hello fellow Lumin users. I wanted to ask do you guys feel the Roon App sounds better when using the Lumin device or the Lumin App?

Thank you!

I asked Bluesound if their BluOS app influenced sound quality of the Node 2i with regard to what device it was installed on, because I thought it made a difference, an iPad Pro thought to be better than an iPad 2, and they said no.  My 'Pro' bias was instantly cured.

Based on that advice I can't say why the Lumin app versus any other controller would be different?  If there was a difference it would be likely related to the stream source rather than the app surely?  

LOUNGE:- Qobuz Studio>TP-Link RE650 WI-FI Extender>AfterDark Ethernet Cable>EtherREGEN/Farad Super3 PSU/Furutech AC input/Level2 DC cable/SR Purple fuse>AfterDark Ethernet Cable(1/2 Metre)>Lumin U1 Mini Streamer/LEEDH volume/External PliXiR BDC Elite 12v/4amp PSU>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital cable>MHDT Orchid Dac>Townshend DCT300 Interconnects>Airtight AMT-1S Amp>Townshend Isolda EDCT Speaker Cables>Speakers Revival Atalante 3.

LIVING ROOM:-Qobuz Studio>Bluesound Node2i (streamer only)>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital Cable>iFi Retro 50 Dac-Amp>iFi LS3.5 Speakers.  Various tweaks in both systems - tubes, footers, grounding, Shakti devices, Nordost QK1, Furutech fuses, resonance generators.  

Has anyone tried this linear power supply with a Lumin UI Mini, or compared with other alternatives available?  Looks like a thoughtful design and build.  https://www.plixirpower.com/products/copy-of-dc-power-supply-for-audio-streamer-and-dac

LOUNGE:- Qobuz Studio>TP-Link RE650 WI-FI Extender>AfterDark Ethernet Cable>EtherREGEN/Farad Super3 PSU/Furutech AC input/Level2 DC cable/SR Purple fuse>AfterDark Ethernet Cable(1/2 Metre)>Lumin U1 Mini Streamer/LEEDH volume/External PliXiR BDC Elite 12v/4amp PSU>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital cable>MHDT Orchid Dac>Townshend DCT300 Interconnects>Airtight AMT-1S Amp>Townshend Isolda EDCT Speaker Cables>Speakers Revival Atalante 3.

LIVING ROOM:-Qobuz Studio>Bluesound Node2i (streamer only)>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital Cable>iFi Retro 50 Dac-Amp>iFi LS3.5 Speakers.  Various tweaks in both systems - tubes, footers, grounding, Shakti devices, Nordost QK1, Furutech fuses, resonance generators.  

1 hour ago, Liam said:

I asked Bluesound if their BluOS app influenced sound quality of the Node 2i with regard to what device it was installed on, because I thought it made a difference, an iPad Pro thought to be better than an iPad 2, and they said no.  My 'Pro' bias was instantly cured.

Based on that advice I can't say why the Lumin app versus any other controller would be different?  If there was a difference it would be likely related to the stream source rather than the app surely?  

Roon isn't really an app - it's a whole system of server, processor and app. If features dsp processing, upsampling/downsampling and other features, so it definitely has the possibility of sounding different.
You are right that UPnP apps shouldn't sound different from one another though.

Associated with LUMIN - The Audiophile Network Music Player.

1 hour ago, thingswelike said:

Roon isn't really an app - it's a whole system of server, processor and app. If features dsp processing, upsampling/downsampling and other features, so it definitely has the possibility of sounding different.
You are right that UPnP apps shouldn't sound different from one another though.

Ah thank you I'm not at all familiar with Roon.  Apples and oranges then and as you say not surprising there might be a difference.

On 1/10/2020 at 1:35 AM, wklie said:

21 hours ago, wklie said:

Each feature request needs to be evaluated from user demand, marketing, company direction, technical feasibility, how it integrates with our existing features and UX implications, etc.  When a feature is decided it will be prioritized against the other developments.

In thinking about NAA, the system requires a host PC and well as a slave PC which has the NAA software to a USB DAC and only a USB DAC. One noise maker is bad enough in an audio system, yet two is worse.

There's nothing in place for compatible to say DLNA, open home and so on with HQPlayer over Ethernet, so have answered my own question :)

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

On 3/13/2020 at 9:52 AM, wklie said:

Each feature request needs to be evaluated from user demand, marketing, company direction, technical feasibility, how it integrates with our existing features and UX implications, etc.

... and it ticked my box on the spot. I was searching for a bridge in order to get rid of the laptop as a musicplayer. There are too many built in conflicts or possible conflicts that might detoriate sound in a laptop. I also wanted a solution via ethernet and possibilities for upsampling to 353/384 in order to pass the FIR-filters in my dac plus I needed dsd. I also wanted a very good app in order to have full overview on my music and available domestic radio channels. And of course, it should sounds good.

This is why landed on a Lumïn U1 Mini. On top of this, it looks nice, have excellent support, I can use both, toslink, AES3, USB, RCA Coax... Then there are features like Qubuz, Tidal, Spotify and MQA. They are features that have no values to me as I only deal with my own albums (CD and downloads).

(I'm not in favour of streaming aa it gives less money to the musicians and composers which has had negative effect on new music of my taste (jazz and classical). Record companies have been forced to close, the best producers has left, concert tickets has riced in order to compensate, record stores are closed. The money has been gathered by very few distributors and they take no responsibility of new music like music companies in the old days...)

This is my experience behind my choice. It is my "truth" and gives me high value. When it comes to sound quality I'm sure there are many contenders that are as good. For me the other features have been more important for making my decision.

I have U1 Mini and like it a lot.  It connect to my DSD DAC via USB.   I am curious to try connecting to AES/EBU.

I can not test if SQ is better with AES/EBU unless I buy the same AES cable as my WW Platinum USB cable.

Has anyone compared USB vs AES's SQ and which method would you prefer?

I read that few users use the Matrix SPDIF-2/I2S, but I prefer not to add another box/cable/PSU into my setup yet.

Thanks.

5 hours ago, F208Frank said:

What does "Follow Now Playing" and "Disable Auto Lock" in the Lumin App do?

Follow Now Playing automatically scrolls the view of the playlist to keep up with the playback.

Disable Auto Lock makes sure your iPad does not lockscreen when Lumin is playing.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

@hpfish On AES vs USB, the feedback I collected from users is that more people preferred AES to USB than those who preferred USB to AES.

Note that not every DSD DAC supports DSD (DoP64) via AES.  If you need DSD128 and DSD256, these can only be achieved via USB.

What DAC are you using?

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

5 hours ago, hpfish said:

I have U1 Mini and like it a lot.  It connect to my DSD DAC via USB.   I am curious to try connecting to AES/EBU.

I can not test if SQ is better with AES/EBU unless I buy the same AES cable as my WW Platinum USB cable.

Has anyone compared USB vs AES's SQ and which method would you prefer?

I read that few users use the Matrix SPDIF-2/I2S, but I prefer not to add another box/cable/PSU into my setup yet.

Thanks.

Count me in with preference for AES over USB. Currently a Wireworld AES3 cable (description in my profile), but have tried USB with a Nordost Blue Heaven for 30 minutes. 
Straight USB introduces smear and degradation of image, so it needs isolating or regen treatments, been there done that. 
The Wireworld out of the box is fine, takes some time to sound its best, give it a month and good to go.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

1. Depends on whether you use album artist tag or song artist tags in your music
  2. Find works like find in Microsoft Word; you can step through the non-filtered results
  3. Depends on whether you have and use composer tag in your music.  If you don't have music containing composer tag, you'll want to remove the composer tab from selection since it'll be useless.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

Examples on tags:

• Artist
  • Album
  • Song
  • Genre (jazz, classical, rock...)
  • Composer
  • Conductor
  • Producer
  • Record label
  • Year of recording or release
  • Soloist
  • Arranger...
  • Album image

Some of them are embedded to the album, called "metadata", others you can add yourself. You can also correct/change them.To do this you need some kind of database, like https://www.mp3tag.de/en/index.html and a musicplayer that collect the files for U1 Mini like for example https://minimserver.com that has a so called "open home" standard.

Please note that quality of the metadata is very up and down, especially on classical music. There is no standard for this.

Example: an album with Beethoven piano concerto played by Berlin Symphony Orchestra conducted by Sir Simon Rattle with soloist Daniel Barenboim.

Who is the artist? This is not obvious. I put the conductor as artist, Beethoven as composer, Barenboim as soloartist, the orchestra as "album artist" and the genre will be "classical". Others may be put genre as "Piano concerto". If the image resolution is less than 500 kB I also replace it to a better one. 

I'm very picky on the database. When you have a lot of albums it is essential to have good order to keep good overview of your music and find what you are looking for. Yes, it takes some efforts but it is rewarding. Don't expect that ripping or downloads are following your idea about a good structure. Between thumbs I spend maybe 5-10 minutes extra after each download/ripping to get the database "correct".