IGNORED

JRiver tips and techniques: user experiences repository

ted_b

Matt and gang are second to none

For once, I totally agree with you. :)

It sometimes does take some encouragement to get them to believe that doing something is worthwhile (Mac version, memory play done correctly, etc.) but they always come through and do a great job. Even if they don't always believe that what they are being asked for will make a great deal of difference. (grin)

I like em a lot, and keep a current version of Windows, Mac, and Linux here.

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Matt and gang are second to none

I think I could notice a SQ difference in favor of JRiver vs foobar in my limited testing. I am pretty sensitive to jitter (as I also run a pure-digital setup with TACT Digital Int. amps) and I can tell JRiver sounds a little bit more sharper with less fuzz than foobar.

When i have been happy with J.River was the ability to setup a custom view for classical music with Composers for the top graphic view Icons. The composer icons look like a stack of albums. You then click on the composer icon then to albums by that composer with all of the cover art showing. Easy to do once you know the way. Someone should write a E-book on J.River explaining all the advance features of J.River like expressions, tagging, sorting, custom views,DLNA and custom device setting that may be helpful. For the IFI iDSD micro for example, I have J.River to play a bit of silent for hardware sync.

When i have been happy with J.River was the ability to setup a custom view for classical music with Composers for the top graphic view Icons. The composer icons look like a stack of albums. You then click on the composer icon then to albums by that composer with all of the cover art showing. Easy to do once you know the way.

Could you share a little more or direct us to where we can gather the knowledge and skill to accomplish "a custom view for classical music with Composers for the top graphic view Icons"?

I agree that there is much to learn of what JRMC can do for me. Hopefully this will prompt me tackle the task at hand. Thanks in advance and special thanks to ted_b for his introductory video tutorials. I have saved then and will review them forthwith.

Primary System: HTPC (Win 10, 64) > Synology DS212j > JRiver MC 22 > Uptone Audio Regen Amber > Schiit Bifrost Uber 4490 > Marantz SR7010 with Marantz UD5005 > Aperion Intimus 6Bs (LR) + Intimus 5C + 4 Intimus 4BPs (Surround) + 2 Bravus 12s - Display: Samsung 55" KS9000 - Headphones: AKG Q701.

John that is why i did two 20 minute screencast videos. Check page 3 of this thread

One of the main things that I learned from your videos was how to use rules. The rules and the custom view will cover about 90% of the things I wanted to do with J.River.

Using expression language is another topic I will look into later.

Also i saw a question about library backups but cant find it now. Anyway. Create a new folder somewhere then go to file/library/bak up library and then browse to new folder to save it there. Great for addtl installations

Does anyone know how to do DSD to PCM transcoding offline with JRiver ?

The way I do it is to highlight the files and then go to tools, advanced tools and then convert format. Select DSD and there is a bubble to the right for encoder setting.

More about Accuraterip,when ripped with EAC+accuraterip or files verifyed with CUEtools to accuraterip database and result attached to log file and ACCURIP. file made .

How i can view these results in MC?

JRiver>>Chord Sarum USB>>Berkeley Audio Alpha USB>>Chord Indigo+ BNC-BNC>>Naim DAC+XPS2>>Chord Indigo+ RCA-RCA>>ASR Emitter II Exclusive Version Blue/Accu/Options>>Chord Signature>>B&W 800D2

Chord Power Chords-Furutech e-TP60-Solidtech ROS4

Could you share a little more or direct us to where we can gather the knowledge and skill to accomplish "a custom view for classical music with Composers for the top graphic view Icons"?

I agree that there is much to learn of what JRMC can do for me. Hopefully this will prompt me tackle the task at hand. Thanks in advance and special thanks to ted_b for his introductory video tutorials. I have saved then and will review them forthwith.

Look at the last post in this thread on the JRiver forum.

Problem with imports to audio library

I use panes views rather than category views that show cover art but that is a simple change to make. Just select "categories" in the dropdown list beside "View as" in the dialog.

Search for "Classical" in the JRiver forum and you'll find lots of good info.

Thanks for the prompt response and helpful direction. Happy listening...

Primary System: HTPC (Win 10, 64) > Synology DS212j > JRiver MC 22 > Uptone Audio Regen Amber > Schiit Bifrost Uber 4490 > Marantz SR7010 with Marantz UD5005 > Aperion Intimus 6Bs (LR) + Intimus 5C + 4 Intimus 4BPs (Surround) + 2 Bravus 12s - Display: Samsung 55" KS9000 - Headphones: AKG Q701.

here is another but I wanted my cover art so I use my previous post method.

JRiver - defining a classical view - Bill and Lesley's Pictures

Thanks again to Old Listener and john57 for the direction and feedback. I've used JRMC for a few years and while very pleased with my setup, I have been remiss in not spending the time to learn how to further personalize this software.

I rip with dbpoweramp, fine tune tagging in MediaMonkey and use JRMC for playback. Yes, I know I could do all those things in one program, JRMC. I prefer the 'user experience' of these other utilities and like to support those whose talents enable me to enjoy the pleasure that is music at home.

Again, much appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Got one question, what rule should be applied in Gizmo view for Recent category to display the last imported files (albums, artists etc.) always first ?

By default (non rule applied) it shows it only alphabetically so I cannot see what was really added recently. In older versions I'm sure I got it, but only forgot how... Please help, thanks

I know this kind of question has been asked before, but I can't seem to find a clear answer reviewing this and other threads (here and over at J River): I am having terrible trouble with pops when playing DSD tracks (when switching DSD sample rates, or when full-stopping a playing track). There were minor clicks when I used the Schiit Loki DAC, but the pops with the iFI micro iDSD are much louder. The SQ is amazing, but… Anyone found any MC19 settings (for mac, thus no WASABI, no ASIO driver) that reduce or eliminate this problem? Many thanks.

Or you can create View Schemes based on Sample Rate and use other modifiers, then add to JRemote as Ted has done with "DSD" or "24bit"...

My theory is that you would avoid loading an entire library of files into JRemote, then filtering by Sample Rate. Start first the filtering on the server, and lighten the load sent to JRemote. Only 20K of my 300,000K are 48kHz+, I see a performance increase in JRemote.

Ted . . . . Thanks for showing me the light:)

Works!

Applause . . . Applause . . . The crowd goes wild . . . :)

DIGITAL: Windows 7 x64 JRMC19 >Adnaco S3B fiber over USB (battery power)> Auralic Vega > Tortuga LDR custom LPSU > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ANALOG: PTP Audio Solid 9 > Audiomods Series V > Audio Technica Art-7 MC > Allnic H1201 > Tortuga LDR > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ACCESSORIES: PlatterSpeed, BlackCat cables, Antipodes Cables, Huffman Cables, Feickert Protracter, OMA Graphite mat, JRemote

I know this kind of question has been asked before, but I can't seem to find a clear answer reviewing this and other threads (here and over at J River): I am having terrible trouble with pops when playing DSD tracks (when switching DSD sample rates, or when full-stopping a playing track). There were minor clicks when I used the Schiit Loki DAC, but the pops with the iFI micro iDSD are much louder. The SQ is amazing, but… Anyone found any MC19 settings (for mac, thus no WASABI, no ASIO driver) that reduce or eliminate this problem? Many thanks.

Increase the buffering in Options > Audio > Device settings... Post a thread over at JRiver if that doesn't fix it.

Matt Ashland, JRiver