IGNORED

JRiver tips and techniques: user experiences repository

ted_b

Hi ted, thank you.

Sorry, I expressed myself wrong. I want to place what is in the catalog# tag field next to the album name (in brackets). The catalog# tag will be left untouched.

I want to do this so I can import all the music into iTunes as well. I have more than one version for a couple of albums.

this expression, in the album field,

=[album] [Catalog #]

will show

Rust In Peace CDP9 1234 k

=[album] /([Catalog #]/)

will show

Rust In Peace (CDP9 1234 k)

Always use "slash parentheses" cuz just parentheses is a special expression language character and will do other things. The slash says to use it as text.

i would probably do files view and make sure catalog # is one of the panes, and sort on it, so you find only those albums that have catalog #'s; otherwise all your albums will have parentheses after them (empty ones if no catalog #)

Power Question - How do you leave your JRMC server powered? On all the time? Or do you turn it off each evening?

CAPS owners - does your CAPS server remain on 24 hours a day? Does it get hot?

i thought this might count as a tip if there were good reasons for one way or the other. Thanks

All the music servers are on 24/7, and I usually leave the hard drives spinning as well. They do seem to last a lot longer that way, and anytime I want to access them for anything, they are immediately available. I calculate it costs me less than $100/year in power to do this, and that is easily recouped by the fewer breakdowns and such.

Windows machines get rebooted at least once a month, usually oftener. MacOS about every six months or when there is an OS upgrade that requires a reboot. Linux/Unix machines - at least once a year whether they need it or not. Just to remember how. :)

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

i would probably do files view and make sure catalog # is one of the panes, and sort on it, so you find only those albums that have catalog #'s; otherwise all your albums will have parentheses after them (empty ones if no catalog #)
Use Delimit instead of just adding the Catalog # to the end.

=[Album]Delimit([Catalog #], /), / /()

That way it will only add the parentheses if [Catalog #] has a value.

Expression Language - JRiverWiki

Thanks to all, powered up it is. I have a new Zuma Mini on its way (shipped yesterday) and was concerned about heat and the advantages/disadvantages of the power state. I like the Media Center background job concept as well.

BTW - The support in these forums is what drove me towards JRMC and CAPS. This is a great community!

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Fun: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (JRMC) SOtM USB > Lynx Hilo > EAR 834L

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Digital Disc: Oppo BDP 95 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Phones: EAR 834L > Little Dot Mk ii > Senheiser HD 800

Power Question - How do you leave your JRMC server powered? On all the time? Or do you turn it off each evening?

CAPS owners - does your CAPS server remain on 24 hours a day? Does it get hot?

i thought this might count as a tip if there were good reasons for one way or the other. Thanks

We, my wife and I, generally do not leave computers and/or audio equipment running when we leave the house. There is no reason to leave them on and it is very simple to turn them off. Although our PC's take a few minue to boot, the CAPS takes about 30 to 45 seconds.

Backups are automated to run in the early evening and subsequently shutdown the computer. I have a NAS that is programmed to turn itself on and off daily during the week and runs all weekend. We have friend who's house burnt down, killing her pets. Her computer started the fire. The power supply on my NAS failed about 4 month ago while we were out grocery shopping. We had to air out the room all day to clear the acrid stench of burnt components.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I have converted DSF files to 24 bi,88.2khz FLAC files in the past (several months ago.) JRiver was recently updated and now it only seems to allow me to convert to 24bit,352.8khz. If I then try to downsample to 88.2 I get the same file. Am I imaging my past successful experience? Attached are the DSP setting I am using. I am fairly sure these are the settings I have used in the past.

JRiver File Format Conversion.JPG

I think I have converted DSF files to 24 bi,88.2khz FLAC files in the past (several months ago.) JRiver was recently updated and now it only seems to allow me to convert to 24bit,352.8khz. If I then try to downsample to 88.2 I get the same file. Am I imaging my past successful experience? Attached are the DSP setting I am using. I am fairly sure these are the settings I have used in the past.

Two things to try:

- Check the box in the upper left corner to enable conversion

- Change the output format for 352.8 (third from bottom) to 88.2.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

Two things to try:

- Check the box in the upper left corner to enable conversion

- Change the output format for 352.8 (third from bottom) to 88.2.

Bingo! Thanks. I forgot to mention that I had tried checking the output box in upper left before and the conversion would simply fail when asking JRiver to convert from a sample rate above 384 to 88.2.

However, checking that box AND specifying output to 88.2 for "input sample of 352.8" worked. "Input sample rate above 384" was left as "unchanged."

I conclude, therefore, that JRiver converts DSF to FLAC at 352.8 unless a lower sample rate is specified to be output. "Above 384" has nothing to do with DSF (DSD) in this table of options. The options are all PCM sample rates.

The internal format for DSD to PCM conversion is at 1/8th the DSD rate. For 1xDSD that is 352.8kHz

The preference used to be for "Above 192kHz" which meant that 1xDSD (352.8kHz) would use that setting.

More options were added recently, so 1xDSD is now handled by the 352.8kHz setting rather than "Above 384kHz"

The internal format for DSD to PCM conversion is at 1/8th the DSD rate. For 1xDSD that is 352.8kHz

The preference used to be for "Above 192kHz" which meant that 1xDSD (352.8kHz) would use that setting.

More options were added recently, so 1xDSD is now handled by the 352.8kHz setting rather than "Above 384kHz"

Thanks for the additional information. I suspected that my advice would work but I didn't know exactly why.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

• 3 weeks later...

If I try to play a playlist of mixed DSD tracks (dsf format over DoP) and PCM tracks, the playback goes into a loop at the end of the DoP track everytime the playlist has a PCM track following the DoP track.

I can confirm that I don't have the problem if using Foobar for playback and my DAC (Mytek); playback in either DoP or Native DSD. Both FW and USB output work fine.

With MC19 it occurs everytime I playback a playlist that includes a DSD track (dsf) followed by a PCM track in DoP. Both Asio and Wasapi. All types of PCM, it doesn't matter the format. Both FW and USB output. It doesn't happen if I go from DSD track to DSD track.

A workaround for me with MC19 is to use Native DSD. This works in USB but doesn't work in FW, which requires DoP to work with the Mytek DAC. I'd prefer to use FW, as in my setup it sounds better than USB.

In other words, the problem is clearly with JRMC, as Foobar doesn't exhibit this behavior.

Has anyone else experienced this, and how did you solve it?

I didn't have this problem till after an upgrade to JRMC 19, but now it also occurs with JRMC 18.

I brought the problem up at the JRiver forum, and one other user said he has the same issue. So far JRiver say they haven't been able to recreate the problem. But since the problem doesn't occur using Foobar for playback of DoP, the issue clearly has something to do with how JRiver handles DoP.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

They recently changed some things to do with how DSD is output, to try and keep it a continuous stream without breaking the connection to the DAC, as many devices would have a click when the sample rate of the file changed, even though it was all being converted to DSD.

It seems to have introduced a number of issues that are being worked on. Try going back to an older version.

Help > Update Channels > Disable Automatic Update

Help > Update Channels > Open Download Folder

There should be 5 or more previous versions to choose from. Pick the earliest one and see if that works until they fix things.

Thanks. I uninstalled 19, including removing registry settings. Went back to 18.0.202. That works.

Hopefully MC20 will be better in this area.

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

Thanks. I uninstalled 19, including removing registry settings. Went back to 18.0.202. That works.

Hopefully MC20 will be better in this area.

You should only have had to go back a few versions in MC19. It's been working fine all year until this change in the last couple of weeks.

I have noticed a trend recently though where they implement a "quick change" to a feature like this which does what they intended, but then breaks a number of other related things.

Another example would be when they expanded the Output Format options from 44.1-192kHz to 44.1-384kHz.

This was a poorly considered change which broke playback for a number of people until they reconfigured those settings.

I have beta Windows MC20 and both WASAPI and KS are still affected by the Mytek playlist issue (going from DSD to PCM in same playlist). Mytek's ASIO is fine, as reported. My Hugo (KS) is fine, too.

Hi Folks, please welcome me to the MC brother/sister hood :-) I just retired my Squeezebox and have pressed a i7 ASUS laptop into service with MC 19. Mainly because I have a ifi iUSB and a bel Canto uLink and so can experiment. But pl. humor me.. Initially I thought the SQ was not as good as the Squeezebox and after playing with different output devices and fidelizer, this morning fidelizer+WASASP (with no event) sounded good I think. Let me know what other low hanging fruits are there before I get to power supply, CAPS and other crazy stuff. (BTW, I still cannot seem to control the output rate of DSDs .. it seems to pick 192Khz because that is what I set as the max for anything more than 192Khz)

Hi Folks, please welcome me to the MC brother/sister hood :-) I just retired my Squeezebox and have pressed a i7 ASUS laptop into service with MC 19. Mainly because I have a ifi iUSB and a bel Canto uLink and so can experiment. But pl. humor me.. Initially I thought the SQ was not as good as the Squeezebox and after playing with different output devices and fidelizer, this morning fidelizer+WASASP (with no event) sounded good I think. Let me know what other low hanging fruits are there before I get to power supply, CAPS and other crazy stuff. (BTW, I still cannot seem to control the output rate of DSDs .. it seems to pick 192Khz because that is what I set as the max for anything more than 192Khz)
You should use event style if your hardware supports it, as it allows a device to pull audio from the PC as required, rather than having the PC push audio to the device.

DSD to PCM conversion uses the 352.8 kHz setting.

I have beta Windows MC20 and both WASAPI and KS are still affected by the Mytek playlist issue (going from DSD to PCM in same playlist). Mytek's ASIO is fine, as reported. My Hugo (KS) is fine, too.

I've now gotten 19.0.146 to work. Apparently that's the latest version that doesn't have the issue with DSD in DoP.

Ted, just to be clear. You also find that some versions of MC19 work with the Mytek in FW/ASIO and WASAPI/KS but that later versions don't work with WASAPI/KS?

It's too bad they can't fix this in MC20.

Firedog, I don't have my Mac Mini in the system right now so can't check things like FW. Yes, ASIO works fine. I have not checked different MC versions, just reporting that the Mytek doesn't work in KS/Wasapi on beta MC20.

I use ASIO with my office Mytek, and don;t have mixed format playlists, so I did this simply to confirm for you. It's not an issue with me.

You should use event style if your hardware supports it, as it allows a device to pull audio from the PC as required, rather than having the PC push audio to the device.

DSD to PCM conversion uses the 352.8 kHz setting.

Cool.. Thanks .. interior painting going on in the house. will try it out after the dust settles down (literally)

Windows version 19.0.163 is now posted at JRiver. This solves some of the DSD issues referred to just above. DoP now playing with Wasapi, no issues.

Very nice response from JRiver. It took them a couple of tries to understand what the problem was, but once they did, it was fixed in a day.