IGNORED

JRiver tips and techniques: user experiences repository

ted_b

When you export the files by sample rate make sure you have the option "display ALL as a choice" picked. Then, in Jremote, pick all locations and each sample rate (and the stacked albums in each category) will show...as below. It's not panes, no.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11980[/ATTACH]

Sorry to be so dumb but I simply am not following this advise. I am looking at MC and have no idea wher I would select"display all" as a choice.

Can you lend a hand?

My System TWO SPEAKERS AND A CHAIR

Since jemote doesn't really deal in panes it is good to have an "all" option in order to see the complete list of sample rates (in this example). That "all" option is in the media network -> advanced menu (see below)

jremote export option all.jpg

Since jemote doesn't really deal in panes it is good to have an "all" option in order to see the complete list of sample rates (in this example). That "all" option is in the media network -> advanced menu (see below)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11995[/ATTACH]

Ted . . . . Thanks for showing me the light:)

Works!

Applause . . . Applause . . . The crowd goes wild . . . :)

My System TWO SPEAKERS AND A CHAIR

I had to uninstall and re-install JRiver on my server, playback on Mytek DSD 192 DAC.

Apparently some setting changed, as I now have a recurrence of a problem with DSD file playback that I thought had been left behind: some clicks and skips at the beginning of DSD tracks. This doesn't happen if I go from DSD track to DSD track, but does happen if I go from PCM>DSD. I thought a firmware udate to the Mytek had eliminated this, but apparently it is actually an issue in JRiver.

Is there a setting I'm forgetting that will eliminate or reduce this problem?

Thanks,

Danny

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Per above post, I think I found settings that work: 250 milliseconds buffering (instead of default 100) and 24 bit in 32 bit package. The buffering is longer than I'd like, but it's the shortest alternative setting offered (JRMC 18); and it pretty much solves the problem.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

• 2 weeks later...

Setting Default Player on JRiver Mac?

I asked in the JRiver support forum but haven't received a response. I have a renderer on my network that I want to set as the default player. However, ever time I open JRiver, it defaults to the "player" on my mac. Any tips?

Thank you!

• 4 weeks later...

I recently noticed an issue with some of the Date fields in JRiver and was wondering if anyone else was experiencing this.

Being new(er) to MC I first assumed that the Date Created was the date that was first imported rather than the actual creation date of the file which is what I would like to see. Subsequently after changing metadata or adding metadata fields the Date Imported and Date Modified fields tend to be the same.

As an example for the file that is now playing I see:

Date Imported: 9/28/2013 - this was the first date I imported my library to MC19

Date Created: 5/10/2014

Date Modified: 5/10/21014 - this is within the time frame I activated the Analyze Audio features which added the appropriate metadata

Taking a sample of different file from different albums the Date Created and Date Modified fields remain the same as above but I am seeing a second Date Imported of 3/27/2014 for files that I know were in my library upon initial import.

On an album that I know I imported the files recently all three dates are the same 5/13/2014 which seems to make sense.

Checking one album I ripped after 3/27/2014 but before 5/10/2014 I get the following:

DATE IMPORTED: 4/12/2014 - this is the day I ripped it and imported it

DATE CREATED: 5/10/2014 - again this is the date I began using Analyze Audio

DATE MODIFIED: 5/10/2014

As I said earlier I had not pursued this thinking it was simply my lack of understanding what these dates were supposed to reflect.

I guess I would expect the following:

DATE CREATED: the actual date I first ripped or imported the file which would never change

DATE IMPORTED: the date I first imported the file to JRiver which would never change

DATE MODIFIED: any date that I had changed metadata to the file

Is my thinking correct here? What do you see with your file dates?

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa

Well may be a silly question but....

I have a pc laptop and a mac mini.

If I want to use jriver in both my computers should I buy it twice?

Mac Mini with JRMC26 or Audirvana  / Raspberry4B_4GB(GentooPlayer_LMS) / Raspberry Rpi3B+: Allo DigiOne(GentooPlayer) - M2Tech Evo DAC Two Plus/iPurifier2 - Schiit Vali 2 - Densen DM20pre/30pwr amps - Spendor SP2/3E, Sennheiser HD600 & HD25Aluminum - Audeze Sine

Cables: Vovox, DIY, Furutech. 

Portable sources: iPad, DELL Laptop with JRiver MC26

Well may be a silly question but....

I have a pc laptop and a mac mini.

If I want to use jriver in both my computers should I buy it twice?

Yes, they are two different licenses and slightly different products got Mac and Windows

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa
Yes, they are two different licenses and slightly different products got Mac and Windows

That's not good!! :-(

Mac Mini with JRMC26 or Audirvana  / Raspberry4B_4GB(GentooPlayer_LMS) / Raspberry Rpi3B+: Allo DigiOne(GentooPlayer) - M2Tech Evo DAC Two Plus/iPurifier2 - Schiit Vali 2 - Densen DM20pre/30pwr amps - Spendor SP2/3E, Sennheiser HD600 & HD25Aluminum - Audeze Sine

Cables: Vovox, DIY, Furutech. 

Portable sources: iPad, DELL Laptop with JRiver MC26

That's not good!! :-(

Well, it isn't really bad either. On each platform, you can install as many copies as you like, so long as you own the equipment you install it upon. (Check the license agreement for details and restrictions.)

Even at at full price, JRMC is not expensive, especially considering what you get. And if you buy or upgrade early, it is even less so. About a week's worth of coffee break money.

Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

• 2 weeks later...
Part One: Intro (20:39)

• Introduction

• Installation

• Importing music

• Setting up DAC/output

• Basic JRemote setup

View Part One online: jriver part 1 - intro - Ted_B's library

Download MP4 video: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3487125/jriver%20part%201%20-%20intro.mp4

Part Two: Tagging and Custom Views (21:07)

• Tagging techniques

• Filling tags from file info

• Tag Pasting

• Mass tagging ideas

• Building customized views

• Exporting them to JRemote

View Part Two online: Jriver Part Two - Tags and Views - Ted_B's library

Download MP4 video: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3487125/Jriver%20Part%20Two%20-%20Tags%20and%20Views.mp4

Is there someplace i can download them from. I prefer to download and watch offline.

thanks

Is there someplace i can download them from. I prefer to download and watch offline.

thanks

The Dropbox links in Ted's post should allow you to download the videos.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

the download link just started playing it in my browser..may be a setup, i just got a new pc. anyway, i used firefox plugin and was able to download...thanks.

Right click on the link and select "save link as". Choose a location and you'll have your copy for off-line viewing.

Primary System: HTPC (Win 10, 64) > Synology DS212j > JRiver MC 22 > Uptone Audio Regen Amber > Schiit Bifrost Uber 4490 > Marantz SR7010 with Marantz UD5005 > Aperion Intimus 6Bs (LR) + Intimus 5C + 4 Intimus 4BPs (Surround) + 2 Bravus 12s - Display: Samsung 55" KS9000 - Headphones: AKG Q701.

• 4 weeks later...

Power Question - How do you leave your JRMC server powered? On all the time? Or do you turn it off each evening?

CAPS owners - does your CAPS server remain on 24 hours a day? Does it get hot?

i thought this might count as a tip if there were good reasons for one way or the other. Thanks

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Fun: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (JRMC) SOtM USB > Lynx Hilo > EAR 834L

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Digital Disc: Oppo BDP 95 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Phones: EAR 834L > Little Dot Mk ii > Senheiser HD 800

My CAPS is always on...so is JRiver Server.

Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification

Rather than choosing the "Shut Down" option, I put my my CAPS server in "Hibernate" at the end of the evening. J River is set to automatically load on awakening or reboot. "Hibernate" does not draw power from my LPS and fires up quicker than a complete reboot.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

I keep the system on 24/7 now, and I don't let the drives spin down either.

Since doing that, I have had far fewer hardware troubles/drive failures.

I just shut it down once every two weeks or so to clean all the fan filters.

If the filters were external, I wouldn't shut it down at all.

I know that may not be the most "green" thing to do, but it's cheaper than replacing drives, and it doesn't use that much power when it's sitting idle.

I run dual pc Jplay setup, and both my Caps (Carbon and Zuma) are on 24/7, and JRIver is on 24/7, running as a Windows service (JRIver calls it Media Server and it is a Windows Startup option in JRiver). That way it is only a background task, not a GUI screen eating up graphics processing, etc. JRemote (iPad) is then the daily access to it, and if you need to maintain it then right click its icon in the task bar and bring up the GUI.

Ted, looking at that image, I want to be able to place the name in the catalog# tag next to the album title. Is there a way to do this for all the albums using expression language?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ym654m1m5ph2d64/Screen%20Shot%202014-07-11%20at%208.19.21%20AM.png

What name are you looking to put it catalog #? If album name, just highlight everything you want to update, then type this in catalog # (or any field)

=[album]

or if you want name in there

=[name]

undo is your friend

However why do this? Maybe your only issue is moving fields around in Jriver to see them better?

What name are you looking to put it catalog #? If album name, just highlight everything you want to update, then type this in catalog # (or any field)

=[album]

or if you want name in there

=[name]

undo is your friend

However why do this? Maybe your only issue is moving fields around in Jriver to see them better?

Hi ted, thank you.

Sorry, I expressed myself wrong. I want to place what is in the catalog# tag field next to the album name (in brackets). The catalog# tag will be left untouched.

I want to do this so I can import all the music into iTunes as well. I have more than one version for a couple of albums.