It's vintage Cowboy Junkies, except, as the AllMusic review says:

If you like Trinity Session, you'll probably like this one. Just don't expect any earth shattering revelation :)

Haven't followed them very closely (have around a dozen or so), nothing very recent.

What I think that distinguishes this release is the number of "covers" by other artists such as Bob Dylan, John Lennon, Bruce Springsteen, Richie Havens, and U2.

Primary System: HTPC (Win 10, 64) > Synology DS212j > JRiver MC 22 > Uptone Audio Regen Amber > Schiit Bifrost Uber 4490 > Marantz SR7010 with Marantz UD5005 > Aperion Intimus 6Bs (LR) + Intimus 5C + 4 Intimus 4BPs (Surround) + 2 Bravus 12s - Display: Samsung 55" KS9000 - Headphones: AKG Q701.

cover.jpg

Giovanni Salvatore: Organ-Alternatim Masses. Very well played by Federico Del Sordo at the 1678 GB Boccanera organ of the San Pietro Martire church in Rieti, Italy.

Excellent recorded sound from a 16/44.1 Presto Classical download.

For my system details, please see my profile. Thank you.

From last night, MQA version into headphones:

VanMorrisonAstralWeeks.jpg

Digital: Schiit Yggy + Gumby, Meridian Explorer2

Headphone: Woo WA22, Audez'e LCD3, Beyerdynamic T1

Amplification: Pass Labs INT30A, Focal 1027be

Analog: VPI Classic, Soundsmith Zephy, EAR 834P

LastFM: WharfRatJustin

A beautiful discovery of quite unknown Italian composers, streamed from Qobuz:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33320[/ATTACH]

Worth checking out.

Bologna 1666 | Compositeurs Divers par Kammerorchester BaselÂ*– Télécharger et écouter l'album

Looks interesting, but Qobuz isn't available to US residents. Guess I'll have to make do with the CD!

DALI Epicon 2; SVS SB 13 Ultra; Primaluna Premium Dialogue HP integrated amp; Esoteric K-03; VPI Scout 1.1/Ortofon 2M Black; Audeze LCD-XC phones; JRiver MC22

I can really recommend this album, too. When I first streamed it on Qobuz, I immediately stopped, bought it in HighRes and finished listening.

You can get it here e.g.:

Kammerorchester Basel-Bologna 1666-FLAC 96kHz24bit Download|Acoustic Sounds

Ooh, thank you. I forgot that they offer downloads. I've used up my budget for this month, so my wife says, so I'll buy next month. :-)

DALI Epicon 2; SVS SB 13 Ultra; Primaluna Premium Dialogue HP integrated amp; Esoteric K-03; VPI Scout 1.1/Ortofon 2M Black; Audeze LCD-XC phones; JRiver MC22

Ooh, thank you. I forgot that they offer downloads. I've used up my budget for this month, so my wife says, so I'll buy next month. :-)

Likewise here with a self imposed monthly allotment. Speaking of early Italian works, I've been exploring early compositions for the cello and have been blessed with a copy of Bruno Cocset's "Domenico Gabrielli: La Nascita del Violoncello".

Special thanks to that patron of the arts!

Here is another album of interest in this pursuit.

El Nacimiento del Violoncello:

Violoncellistas Compositores de la Italia Barroca

Luis Miguel Correa & Jose Suarez

600x600bb.jpg

Another "birth of the cello" release with pieces by Gabrielli, Torelli, Caldar, Caporale, Bononcini and Jacchini.

Primary System: HTPC (Win 10, 64) > Synology DS212j > JRiver MC 22 > Uptone Audio Regen Amber > Schiit Bifrost Uber 4490 > Marantz SR7010 with Marantz UD5005 > Aperion Intimus 6Bs (LR) + Intimus 5C + 4 Intimus 4BPs (Surround) + 2 Bravus 12s - Display: Samsung 55" KS9000 - Headphones: AKG Q701.

I hope, it is not sold out next month ;)

Haha, well, I went ahead and downloaded it, but the Acoustic Sounds Downloader App won't open...my Norton doesn't think it's safe. I called AS, but of course they are closed. Karma, I guess. Has anyone else had problems with their downloader? If so, how did you get it to work?

EDIT: I got it to work buy pulling it out of Quarantine, restoring it, and telling Norton to ignore it.

Worth checking out.

Bologna 1666 | Compositeurs Divers par Kammerorchester BaselÂ*– Télécharger et écouter l'album

After a number of obstacles, I was finally able to listen to this--it's wonderful! Superb playing and sound, and many of the pieces were not familiar to me.

Extraordinary sound and superb playing. I bought a 24bit/192Khz file that was copied directly from the analog master tape.

Christian-Jacob-Cover.png?v=1486215424

Worth checking out.

Listening to this now - excellent performances and recording :)

Thank you for making me aware of it.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

Sarah McKenzie: Paris In The Rain

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33354[/ATTACH]

I've just written about her on my blog: https://musicophilesblog.com/2017/02/19/sarah-mckenzie-paris-in-the-rain-a-review-more-or-less/

I thought exactly the same - it's *too* clean, *too* "produced", etc. I just couldn't get "into it".

There's a reason I almost universally prefer live recordings, with all their potential imperfections, to a perfectly-produced studio album.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

After a number of obstacles, I was finally able to listen to this--it's wonderful! Superb playing and sound, and many of the pieces were not familiar to me.

Agreed and I think that aside from expert musicianship, that success in today's market is the ability to create a program that is in some fashion unique. In this case, the music of a city or region during a point in time.

The classical genre is so overworked that getting those of us with extensive libraries to purchase an album is to create a listening experience that is both admirably realized and novel in content or presentation.