"Gabrielli: Complete Works for Violoncello"

Richard Tunnicliffe and James Johnstone

Almost all Gabrielli with a few tracks by Rognoni, Frescobaldi and Bartolome de Selma y Salaverde. At this point there is some duplication as the catalog of the earliest cello works is limited. [...]

What a conincidence! Even more Gabrielli :)

Birth of the Cello

Ricercari Gianbattista Degli Antonii, Domenico Gabrielli

Julius Berger, Amati Violoncello Carlo IX anno 1566

51orO61l-TL._SL300_.jpg

Complete set of Gabrielli ricercar for solo cello, which seems to be quite easy to come by, plus complete set of Degli Antonii ricercar op.1, which doesn't seem to be easy to come by at all. Spectacularly played on a spectacular instrument.

One of my favorite guitar recordings. Grondona plays his own transcriptions of works by Froberger, Bach, and Scarlatti. (It's out of print, so CD prices are preposterous, but Presto Classical has a CD-quality FLAC file for $12.)

5591397.jpg

DALI Epicon 2; SVS SB 13 Ultra; Primaluna Premium Dialogue HP integrated amp; Esoteric K-03; VPI Scout 1.1/Ortofon 2M Black; Audeze LCD-XC phones; JRiver MC22

What a conincidence! Even more Gabrielli :)

Birth of the Cello

Ricercari Gianbattista Degli Antonii, Domenico Gabrielli

Julius Berger, Amati Violoncello Carlo IX anno 1566

51orO61l-TL._SL300_.jpg

Complete set of Gabrielli ricercar for solo cello, which seems to be quite easy to come by, plus complete set of Degli Antonii ricercar op.1, which doesn't seem to be easy to come by at all. Spectacularly played on a spectacular instrument.

The Early Cello continued...

You have scooped my part two and I share your enthusiasm. A superb recording of the very earliest works for solo cello played by a gifted scholar on what is thought to be the oldest surviving cello.

So here we have the very first compositions for solo cello performed on an instrument as old as the works themselves.

Known as the "King", Berger's instrument was "produced by Italian instrument-maker Andrea Amati in the mid-16th century, is so-called because it was part of a commission for King Charles IX of France."

The other noteworthy album of the early cello is this scarce find. None of my meta search engines could identify it; (dbpoweramp's multiple built-ins, JRiver or Media Monkey)

El Nacimiento del Violoncello: Violoncellistas Compositores de la Italia Barroca

Luis Miguel Correa, José Suárez and Jimena Giménez Cacho

91DC8O8PMfL._SX355_.jpg

Again some repetition of the Gabrielli but most of the tracks are by other composers. Here we find Giuseppe Maria Jacchini, Giovanni Maria Bononcini, Giuseppe Antonio Torelli, Caldara and Andrea Caporale. This release also comes with an informative pamphlet to inform the curious listener.

Primary System: HTPC (Win 10, 64) > Synology DS212j > JRiver MC 22 > Uptone Audio Regen Amber > Schiit Bifrost Uber 4490 > Marantz SR7010 with Marantz UD5005 > Aperion Intimus 6Bs (LR) + Intimus 5C + 4 Intimus 4BPs (Surround) + 2 Bravus 12s - Display: Samsung 55" KS9000 - Headphones: AKG Q701.

The newest in this superbly played and recorded series of Pettersson's Symphonies.71Gdi1UzGEL._SL500_.jpg

DALI Epicon 2; SVS SB 13 Ultra; Primaluna Premium Dialogue HP integrated amp; Esoteric K-03; VPI Scout 1.1/Ortofon 2M Black; Audeze LCD-XC phones; JRiver MC22

One of my favorite guitar recordings. Grondona plays his own transcriptions of works by Froberger, Bach, and Scarlatti. [...]

Thanks. One can never have enough Froberger :) Now albums of the day:

Johann Jacob Froberger: Le passage du Rhin

Bob van Asperen

MI0003333596.jpg

Aeolus Froberger edition Vol. 1. All the best known Froberger programmatic preludes and lamentations are here.

Music for Trumpet and Orchestra

Crispian Steele-Perkins, Tafelmusik, Jeanne Lamon

71tqJNhIeML._SL300_.jpg

slartybartfast mentioned this one in the Baroque Trumpet Recommendations thread. It has jaw dropping natural trumpet acrobatics, great selection of catchy tunes, stylish performance, plus great SQ on top of those. A quintessential Baroque album! :) Highly recommended.

Thanks. One can never have enough Froberger :) Now albums of the day:

Johann Jacob Froberger: Le passage du Rhin

Bob van Asperen

MI0003333596.jpg

Aeolus Froberger edition Vol. 1. All the best known Froberger programmatic preludes and lamentations are here.

Music for Trumpet and Orchestra

Crispian Steele-Perkins, Tafelmusik, Jeanne Lamon

71tqJNhIeML._SL300_.jpg

slartybartfast mentioned this one in the Baroque Trumpet Recommendations thread. It has jaw dropping natural trumpet acrobatics, great selection of catchy tunes, stylish performance, plus great SQ on top of those. A quintessential Baroque album! :) Highly recommended.

Thanks for bumping this to the top of my queue, I'll have mine on Tuesday.

And speaking of Tafelmusik, they are performing in Seattle this Saturday.

Primary System: HTPC (Win 10, 64) > Synology DS212j > JRiver MC 22 > Uptone Audio Regen Amber > Schiit Bifrost Uber 4490 > Marantz SR7010 with Marantz UD5005 > Aperion Intimus 6Bs (LR) + Intimus 5C + 4 Intimus 4BPs (Surround) + 2 Bravus 12s - Display: Samsung 55" KS9000 - Headphones: AKG Q701.

Metal. John Zorn's metal. I love this guy. His music is so diverse!

The title of the album is as twisted as the music itself ;)

49 ACTS OF UNSPEAKABLE DEPRAVITY IN THE ABDOMINABLE LIFE AND TIMES OF GILLES DE RAIS

22657.Full.jpg

0040b919.jpg

[h=1]Gilles de Rais[/h] Gilles de Montmorency-Laval (prob. c. September 1405 – 26 October 1440),[1] Baron de Rais, was a knight and lord from Brittany, Anjou and Poitou,[2] a leader in the French army, and a companion-in-arms of Joan of Arc. He is best known for his reputation and later conviction as a confessed serial killer of children. (Wikipedia)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilles_de_Rais

Beautiful indeed, many thanks.

Speaking of ECM, I see Julia Hulsmann et al, have new new release this Friday (for those of us in the US).

Sooner And Later

sooner-and-later-b-iext48012044.jpg

[...] And speaking of Tafelmusik, they are performing in Seattle this Saturday.

Tafelmusik is based here in Toronto. The bad part is ticket for good seat is quite expensive, especially at Trinity-St. Paul's church. But if one don't mind taking a chance, one can show up just before a concert and can often get ticket at a discount.

Now speaking of Gesualdo:

Gesualdo: Quinto Libro di Madrigali (1611)

La Venexiana

MI0001101988.jpg

This arrived a few months back. Hadn't quite got around to it until now.

Speaking of ECM, I see Julia Hulsmann et al, have new new release this Friday (for those of us in the US).

Waiting anxiously for this release. 'For me this trio is home' she says in the youtube material. I like it. Her remarks on the role of Manfred Eicher in the recording process are also very intereting.

BTW does somebody recognize the monitors they use there? I believe it's some B&W model..(?)

Adam de la Halle: Le Jeu de Robin et de Marion

Tonus Peregrinus - Antony Pitts

71MjbFeRSKL._SL1200_.jpg

ADAM DE LA HALLE: Jeu de Robin et de Marion (Le)

Adam de la Halle: Le jeu de Robin et Marion

Micrologus Ensemble

MI0001095465.jpg

http://http://www.allmusic.com/album/adam-de-la-halle-le-jeu-de-robin-et-marion-mw0001393542

Adam DE LA HALLE (c.1237-1288):

D’Amoureus Cuer Voel Chanter

Les Jardins de Courtoisie; Anne Delafosse-Quentin (soprano)

51+5JWthF4L.jpg

DE LA HALLE D’Amoureus Cuer Voel Chanter ZZT070401 [MS]: Classical CD Reviews - September 2007 MusicWeb-International

Waiting anxiously for this release. 'For me this trio is home' she says in the youtube material. I like it. Her remarks on the role of Manfred Eicher in the recording process are also very intereting.

BTW does somebody recognize the monitors they use there? I believe it's some B&W model..(?)

Many of us are indebted to the vision and behind-the-scenes genius of Manfred Eicher. I think "Sooner and Later" was released in mid February in Europe and appears on Qobuz in 24/96. Don't know about the monitors but her headphones look like mine! JK...

And to accwai, as you know, Tafelmusik tours a lot and I've seen them perform a few years ago. Going to pass and attend a local concert instead commemorating the 250th anniversary of Telemann's death.

Telemann - Wind Concertos (Bläserkonzerte)

Reinhard Goebel with Musica Antiqua Koln

4196332.jpg

Man, these are intense, vibrant performances! Their tone is a bit fuller than most period-instrument groups. Fantastic sound, too. 71Jdj89cWsL._SL400_.jpg

Man, these are intense, vibrant performances! Their tone is a bit fuller than most period-instrument groups. Fantastic sound, too. 71Jdj89cWsL._SL400_.jpg

Haven't picked that one up yet but can enthuse about this related release.

Vivaldi: Concerti per due violini e archi I

Riccardo Minasi and Dmitry Sinkovsky

vivaldi.jpg

and a bargain box set from Naive with the same artists

Vivaldi: Violin Concertos (6 disc box set)

61jXMYY040L._SX522_.jpg

Many of us are indebted to the vision and behind-the-scenes genius of Manfred Eicher.
Yep. To say 'the one and only' about M. Eicher and ECM would be absolutely justified. I must say that 10-15 years ago I used to find 80% of the stuff issued by ECM boring, now I find 80% of it fascinating..

BTW - worth seeing IMO:

sounds-and-silence.jpg?w=759&h=1024

https://ecmreviews.com/2015/05/16/sounds-and-silence-travels-with-manfred-eicher/