Oh the former really, a natural trumpet in baroque setting, or a baroque trumpet playing baroque compositions in baroque setting, [...]

If I'm not mistaking, except for Alison Balsom playing Handel, most of the recommendations so far are on modern trumpet...

If you like Art of Baroque Trumpet, perhaps you can try the rest of the series? There are 5 volumes in total. Your album of the evening above is Volume 5. My personal favorite is Volume 1, FWIW.

As for natural trumpet, my impression is it's not used all that often these days. Off the top of my head, the only recording that is natural trumpet for sure is the Brandenburg No. 2 from Bach Collegium Japan/Suzuki's first Brandenburg Concertos set. They made a big deal of it in the booklet. The booklet on their second set no longer mention such thing. So I would assume the second set is Baroque trumpet.

If I'm not mistaking, except for Alison Balsom playing Handel, most of the recommendations so far are on modern trumpet...

If you like Art of Baroque Trumpet, perhaps you can try the rest of the series? There are 5 volumes in total. Your album of the evening above is Volume 5. My personal favorite is Volume 1, FWIW.

As for natural trumpet, my impression is it's not used all that often these days. Off the top of my head, the only recording that is natural trumpet for sure is the Brandenburg No. 2 from Bach Collegium Japan/Suzuki's first Brandenburg Concertos set. They made a big deal of it in the booklet. The booklet on their second set no longer mention such thing. So I would assume the second set is Baroque trumpet.

I think you're correct on the usage of the natural trumpet. If this site is to be believed, it's probably because it is a terribly hard instrument to be played.

Help! I’m a baroque trumpeter, and I don’t want to play the “baroque trumpet” anymore! | Trumpet Journey

I should explore more of Vivaldi and to that end...

I have some of the cello sonatas here

Vivaldi: Six Cello Sonatas

Christophe Coin with Christopher Hogwood

Inspire by that:

Vivaldi: Cello Concertos & Sonatas

Christophe Coin, Academy of Ancient Music, Christopher Hogwood

MI0000959153.jpg

Found it in the L'Oiseau-Lyre Baroque Era box set. Exquisite!

Concerto No.1. It's a little slow, especially the first movement, but it's quite gripping and very well recorded.81Ed6vb57GL._SL400_.jpg

DALI Epicon 2; SVS SB 13 Ultra; Primaluna Premium Dialogue HP integrated amp; Esoteric K-03; VPI Scout 1.1/Ortofon 2M Black; Audeze LCD-XC phones; JRiver MC22

Inspire by that:

Found it in the L'Oiseau-Lyre Baroque Era box set. Exquisite!

I have found it with a different cover as the single CD release.Thanks, it was a pleasant find.

Vivaldi-Six-Cello-Sonatas-Op-14-Coin-Hogwood-cover.jpg

I think I mentioned my fondness here for these cello sonatas with Stefan Johannes Bleicher (cello) and Julius Berger (organ continuo).

fDaIBoDxItA.jpg

Most recent addition...

Vivaldi: Concerti per fagotto IV - Sergio Azzolini

715NAuHdUGL._SL1500_.jpg

Primary System: HTPC (Win 10, 64) > Synology DS212j > JRiver MC 22 > Uptone Audio Regen Amber > Schiit Bifrost Uber 4490 > Marantz SR7010 with Marantz UD5005 > Aperion Intimus 6Bs (LR) + Intimus 5C + 4 Intimus 4BPs (Surround) + 2 Bravus 12s - Display: Samsung 55" KS9000 - Headphones: AKG Q701.

51NVCXPAT0L.jpg[/img]

As part of my "Get to know Vivaldi better" efforts and as a lover of Venetian Baroque, I have added this to my library.

Vivaldi: I concerti dell'addio (The Farewell Concertos)

Fabio Biondi with Europa Galante

GCD_923402_front_HD.jpg

From Presto... "With these 'Farewell' Concertos Biondi turns to works written by a Vivaldi very near the end of his life as he traveled to Vienna in a desperate search for creative opportunities." Sort of like "Venezia 1740". Thanks Patrick...

Primary System: HTPC (Win 10, 64) > Synology DS212j > JRiver MC 22 > Uptone Audio Regen Amber > Schiit Bifrost Uber 4490 > Marantz SR7010 with Marantz UD5005 > Aperion Intimus 6Bs (LR) + Intimus 5C + 4 Intimus 4BPs (Surround) + 2 Bravus 12s - Display: Samsung 55" KS9000 - Headphones: AKG Q701.

What do you think? I must admit I was a bit disappointed by the recording.

I like it from both a performance and sonic perspective. Where do you think it falls short? (Admittedly, it is not as incisive as the Gilels/Jochum, but I like its grandeur.)

DALI Epicon 2; SVS SB 13 Ultra; Primaluna Premium Dialogue HP integrated amp; Esoteric K-03; VPI Scout 1.1/Ortofon 2M Black; Audeze LCD-XC phones; JRiver MC22

I like it from both a performance and sonic perspective. Where do you think it falls short? (Admittedly, it is not as incisive as the Gilels/Jochum, but I like its grandeur.)

I agree, sonically it's good. The performance leaves me cold however. Here's my review, maybe a bit too harsh: https://musicophilesblog.com/2015/09/28/two-recent-releases-i-really-dont-like/

But I must admit that on Brahms I'm even more subjective and biased than on most other composers.

Their newest installment in this superbly played and recorded (the mics pick up some breathing, though) series.71I9TPy7IbL._SL400_.jpg81HKKZ2paUL._SL400_.jpg

"A Liuto Solo" - Björn Colell

German Lute Music of the 18th Century

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33594[/ATTACH]

"The Baroque Lute in Vienna - Bernhard Hofstotter"

61TE1OuAoGL.jpg