Some folk tonight. A very nice album. Seems better than her first one.

A wonderful album.

BTW, if you like Ms. Giddens, her Factory Girl EP and live album from the 2016 New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival are also very good. Not to mention her work on the New Basement Tapes album. :)

2017 is shaping up to a wonderful year for new music for me with new albums from Alison Krauss and Rhiannon Giddens already released and another favorite artist (Valerie June) dropping an album in March.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

Indulging in my fondness for trio sonatas, nothing brightens an evening like a threesome.

Telemann Trio Sonatas - Sergio Azzolini & Parnassi Musici

51s0byVgiRL.jpg

Vivaldi Trio Sonatas Op 1 - William Carter & Sonnerie

81BdSaVJGxL._SX355_.jpg

What works with these recordings is the variety of instruments to voice the three parts. The use of a bassoon, organ, theorbo, recorder, oboe or cello is a welcome change from the more often heard violins and harpsichord (to my taste).

Primary System: HTPC (Win 10, 64) > Synology DS212j > JRiver MC 22 > Uptone Audio Regen Amber > Schiit Bifrost Uber 4490 > Marantz SR7010 with Marantz UD5005 > Aperion Intimus 6Bs (LR) + Intimus 5C + 4 Intimus 4BPs (Surround) + 2 Bravus 12s - Display: Samsung 55" KS9000 - Headphones: AKG Q701.

For those fond of Baroque music and free downloads, I notice Naxos has this to offer...

The Pupils of Tartini - Šiškovič and Ferrini

$wm1_0x700_$_CDS723_cov.jpg

"This program demonstrates the transition from the Italian Continuo Sonata to the later 18th-Century Duo Sonata in full-blown sonata form. It is also an example of exquisite violin playing and some of the most subtle and inventive (but still stylistically appropriate) continuo realizations I have heard."

– American Record Guide

I'd post the link but as I tried, my personal email address is contained within. You may have to sign up for Naxos "news" and go from there.

Primary System: HTPC (Win 10, 64) > Synology DS212j > JRiver MC 22 > Uptone Audio Regen Amber > Schiit Bifrost Uber 4490 > Marantz SR7010 with Marantz UD5005 > Aperion Intimus 6Bs (LR) + Intimus 5C + 4 Intimus 4BPs (Surround) + 2 Bravus 12s - Display: Samsung 55" KS9000 - Headphones: AKG Q701.

cover.jpg

One wouldn't know it from the lame cover, but this album is actually about Dohnanyi's Piano Quintet No 2 and Sextet. Played with vigor and expressiveness by the Ensemble Raro.

Very good sound from a 16/44.1 Presto Classical download.

For my system details, please see my profile. Thank you.

This iconic performance has never sounded better than in the 24/96 hi-res file, presumably the remastered one that DG prepared for the Blu-ray Audio disc.

41N6hiQeKxL.jpg

DALI Epicon 2; SVS SB 13 Ultra; Primaluna Premium Dialogue HP integrated amp; Esoteric K-03; VPI Scout 1.1/Ortofon 2M Black; Audeze LCD-XC phones; JRiver MC22

For those fond of Baroque music and free downloads, I notice Naxos has this to offer...

The Pupils of Tartini - Šiškovič and Ferrini

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33627[/ATTACH]

"This program demonstrates the transition from the Italian Continuo Sonata to the later 18th-Century Duo Sonata in full-blown sonata form. It is also an example of exquisite violin playing and some of the most subtle and inventive (but still stylistically appropriate) continuo realizations I have heard."

– American Record Guide

I'd post the link but as I tried, my personal email address is contained within. You may have to sign up for Naxos "news" and go from there.

My apologies to anyone who downloaded this. True it is free but you will have to spend several minutes tracking down the track info if you are as obsessive about thorough and accurate tags as many of us are.

I saw the offer as I was about to leave for the day and didn't realize that but a few of the tags were embedded. No real hassle here as I enjoy meticulous tagging for those new additions to my library; others may not and to them my humble apology.

cover.jpg

Dario Castello: Sonate Concertate in Stil Moderno. Richard Egarr (harpsichord and organ) and the Academy of Ancient Music.

Excellent recorded sound from a 24/96 Presto Classical download.

Very passionate playing by Lilya Zilberstein and superb live recording--perhaps a little bright--but still quite realistic. 51EvYFSVyXL._SS500.jpg

DALI Epicon 2; SVS SB 13 Ultra; Primaluna Premium Dialogue HP integrated amp; Esoteric K-03; VPI Scout 1.1/Ortofon 2M Black; Audeze LCD-XC phones; JRiver MC22

Very passionate playing by Lilya Zilberstein and superb live recording--perhaps a little bright--but still quite realistic. 51EvYFSVyXL._SS500.jpg

Interesting to read, that you wrote "a little bright". At least for me it sounds very realistic. I like the recordings of K&K Verlagsanstalt very much. All of them are recorded very, very transparent.

In the end it's a matter of taste :)

Enjoy Lilya Zilbersteins Appassionata! I'd like to recommend Sviatoslav Richter (1961), Peter Rösel (1980) and Artur Schnabel (1933), too. These four are my favorites in terms of performance and SQ.

P.S.: Interesting, that your cover of Zilberstein is a little bit different from mine, which I got from Qobuz [24/96].

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33656[/ATTACH]

Dario Castello: Sonate Concertate in Stil Moderno. Richard Egarr (harpsichord and organ) and the Academy of Ancient Music.

Excellent recorded sound from a 24/96 Presto Classical download.

Second this but I don't have the 24/96 version.

For those with a historical interest in early music, I notice Hyperion has a new release;

"Beneath the Northern Star" - The Orlando Consort

The rise of English Polyphony, 1270-1430

034571281322.png

Telemann - Oboe Concertos.jpg

Telemann: 6 Concertos for Oboe and Oboe d'Amore. Played with elegance by Andrius Puskunigis. Donatas Katkus conducts the St. Christopher Chamber Orchestra.

Vivid sound from a 16/44.1 Presto Classical download.

He has a strong Scriabin/Prokofiev vibe, with some atonal flirtations. Some of you might know his sister's music, Grażyna Bacewicz. Very good playing and sound.

81oEsGiRiWL._SL300_.jpg

One feature that distinguishes a worthy addition is an album's ability to inform as well, of course, for the beauty that music embodies. Interested in the origins of Western cello music, I've found a few that I'd recommend to those of similar interest.

First was this 'hard-to-find' release (thanks to a new friend in the Netherlands).

"Domenico Gabrielli: La Nascita del Violoncello"

Bruno Cocset with Les Basses Reunies

Mostly early works by Gabrielli but includes Vitali, Antoni and Jacchini.

This included a 100+ page booklet which sadly I could not procure.

The quest goes on...

Older.jpg

"Gabrielli: Complete Works for Violoncello"

Richard Tunnicliffe and James Johnstone

Folder.jpg

Almost all Gabrielli with a few tracks by Rognoni, Frescobaldi and Bartolome de Selma y Salaverde. At this point there is some duplication as the catalog of the earliest cello works is limited.

Tomorrow, for what it's worth, I'll post my latest early cello treasures...

Folder.jpg

FWITW/FYI:I read a review yesterday or the day before in NYT about a Joan Osborne a cabaret singer giving a show at the Cafe Carlyle in NYC doing Bob Dylan there is also a great more detailed review at theaterscene.net. So I made a playlist from TIDAL including albums she appeared on with others. Anyone familiar with her and what are your impressions-she sounds pretty good-too bad she doesn't have an album of that Dylan stuff she does at the Carlyle.

Yay! A new one! The last one wasn't long ago. I hope she keeps up the pace.

Some folk tonight. A very nice album. Seems better than her first one.

MI0004195255.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Roon ->UltraRendu + CI Audio 7v LPS-> Kii Control -> Kii Three

Roon->BMC UltraDAC->Mr Speakers Aeon Flow Open