13 hours ago, LoryWiv said:

Oh my, that is a very young Tatiana. I would really appreciate if you could share details (date, venue etc...) of this recording and where you obtained it from.

Good questions. I saw this one on Qobuz, but I cannot find any details. She recorded this works a few times, and I have a feeling this is a bit of a compilation, it's like she uses a different piano after BWV 853 (or it is recorded in several sessions, but my ears could be mistaken, of course). I found this site: https://tatiana-nikolayeva.info, but I could not find the answers I was looking for.

Thanks for this recommendation.  I am a big Kielland fan and a Mahler addict.

FWIW though, this is not a transcription by Schoenberg or by one of his students.  It is a more contemporary one by Glen Cortese whose own Mahler recordings are among my secret pleasures.

From the liner notes:

Schoenberg’s posthumously finished version of Das Lied von der Erde has been performed all over the world. But recently Glen Cortese has made a new adaption of the work for a slightly larger ensemble which instead of piano and harmonium uses harp, celesta, trumpet, trombone and more percussion.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

8 hours ago, Kal Rubinson said:

Thanks for this recommendation.  I am a big Kielland fan and a Mahler addict.

FWIW though, this is not a transcription by Schoenberg or by one of his students.  It is a more contemporary one by Glen Cortese whose own Mahler recordings are among my secret pleasures.

From the liner notes:

Right, Cortese. Thank you.

You do not see that many Mahler/Schoenberg recordings, I did not know they existed at all. I bought it out of curiosity. No idea about the quality of the performance (I did not compare it to other recordings), but it is not bad. I seldom listen to it, I prefer in Das Lied Klemperer c.s.

38 minutes ago, WAM said:

You do not see that many Mahler/Schoenberg recordings, I did not know they existed at all. I bought it out of curiosity. No idea about the quality of the performance (I did not compare it to other recordings), but it is not bad. I seldom listen to it, I prefer in Das Lied Klemperer c.s.

AFAIK, there are no "Mahler/Schoenberg" versions of Das Lied von der Erde.  This, as most others, are really Mahler/Rainer Riehn.  Riehn was a Schoenberg "student" and one of those who created chamber versions of Mahler works for private performances when a full orchestra was not feasible or affordable.   There are many recordings of the Riehn version and I already have a few.

And, yes, it ain't nothing like the real thing.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

11 hours ago, Kal Rubinson said:

AFAIK, there are no "Mahler/Schoenberg" versions of Das Lied von der Erde.  This, as most others, are really Mahler/Rainer Riehn.  Riehn was a Schoenberg "student" and one of those who created chamber versions of Mahler works for private performances when a full orchestra was not feasible or affordable.   There are many recordings of the Riehn version and I already have a few.

And, yes, it ain't nothing like the real thing.

Thanks again for the clarification, Kal. To be honest, for many years I thought Schoenberg did the score. Here's what I found online:

"Schoenberg arranged Das Lied von der Erde for string quintet (standard quartet, plus double bass), wind quintet, bassoon, horn, piano, harmonium, and percussion (glockenspiel, cymbals, tam-tam, tambourine, small and large drum). By the time the Society folded in 1922, he had abandoned the project, after orchestrating only the first song. For the remaining songs, he left extensive notes, which, in 1983, decades after his death in 1951, the German composer, conductor, and musicologist Rainer Riehn (1941-2015) used to finish the score. Making a slight adjustment to Schoenberg's instrumentation, Riehn added a part for celesta in "Der Abschied."

Yes, normally I prefer original Das Lied, but sometimes chamber version may sound pretty good, as the a.m. mentioned recording with Marianne Beate Kielland.

A new lp, to me, in the larder. Very interesting lp.

Screenshot_20240617_124446_JRemote.jpg

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

On 6/8/2024 at 4:09 PM, AnotherSpin said:

New album from Oded Tzur

image.jpeg.c6070e1be1137854cd52eb5b4b121f3e.jpeg

Amazing album. I think in my opinion it is his best, previous records I found a bit boring, but this one is superb!

--

Krzysztof Maj

http://mkrzych.wordpress.com/

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata