A very simple and convincing performance of C.P.E. Bach's cycle of the Württembergische sonatas by the Croatian pianist Ana-Marija Markovina. Looking forward to comparing it with the interpretation of the same sonatas in Keith Jarrett's album, which should be available in a few days.

image.thumb.png.640db2d1a90f7185800d3c6d7373eb3b.png

1 hour ago, AnotherSpin said:

Uncompromising early free-jazz from the Wolfgang Dauner Sextet. Jean-Luc Ponty sounds much fresher than in his solo projects or in Zappa's albums. Those who, like me, were first introduced to Eberhard Weber's playing in the ECM albums from the 70s might be interested to hear him play in a freer manner.

image.thumb.png.ea279b5ea5e9a06e539a7e49c3c1c17b.png

New one for me, never heard of it before. Interesting. Especially for 1967 recording. Thanks.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

2 hours ago, firedog said:

New one for me, never heard of it before. Interesting. Especially for 1967 recording. Thanks.

Thank you for reply. I have a great interest for products of MPS label. Dauner's album was released under SABA label, but the same studio in Schwarzwald, Germany was used. MPS recorded and released great albums by Oscar Peterson, Bill Evans, Sun Ra, Baden Powell, Cecil Taylor, many fine German and European musicians. And, Friedrich Gulda, his Well Tempered Clavier for instance. 

3 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Back to our regularly scheduled programming. 

IMG_8880.png

I keep thinking I need to listen to these guys more.  😉

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Allan Pettersson, Symphony No.  17 (fragment)

Allan Pettersson's cycle of symphonies has its own, very special place. It is outside this world, this time and this place. If there are any similarities with the music of other composers, it is most likely with the music of avant-garde artists such as Anthony Braxton of the Ghost Trance Music period or something in the same spirit.

It is written elsewhere that the Swedish composer's troubled circumstances, his bleak childhood and long, difficult illness had a decisive influence on his music, which is sad, full of anger and struggle. I will say at once that I hear something quite different. His music is far from pervasive pessimism. Is it optimistic? Rather, a transcendental departure beyond the standard set of dichotomies.

Pettersson's musical world is as organic and emotional as possible, devoid of empty speculation and cold calculation. It is vast and relentless. I can easily imagine that some might find it overwhelming.

Apart from the separate recordings of some of the symphonies, two sets of Allan Pettersson's symphonies are available. The earlier one on the German label CPO, with different orchestras and conductors, and the second, incomplete one on BIS, with Christian Lindberg. Different listeners may be drawn to different symphonies in Pettersson's cycle. For me it's Nos. 4, 9, 13, 14 before others. I prefer Lindberg’s versions.

image.thumb.png.8623bc5d958777fd8591dc9d5d79a57a.png

On 6/27/2023 at 7:26 PM, Jud said:

Jordi Savall is a world treasure. How this music can make one feel at peace and thrilled at the same time I don't know, but that's what it does for me.

Diego Ortiz.jpeg

I love this performance, as I might expect from anything touched by Savall and Koopman. Yet the recording is quite abysmal from a pure SQ perspective. Sounds like it was recorded in an oil tank, frankly. But the performance is so wonderful I readily forgive those flaws. And I realize your recommendation is for the performance, which I agree is at turns thrilling and pacifying.

On 6/17/2011 at 3:02 AM, The Computer Audiophile said:

I recently started listening to one complete album from start to finish every evening. It's really great to sit down, no Internet, no phone, no iPhone, no i-anything and close my evening out with uninterrupted music. There's nothing like closing out each day on a great note, no pun intended.

I want to start this thread for people interested in doing the same thing. Listening to an album every evening and posting simply the artist and album information. Doesn't have to be a picture or the cover or a link or anything. It's more about enjoying this wonderful hobby.

I'll start with my Album of the Evening for tonight:

Artist: Boston

Album: Boston

Chris, 

This is the only way I listen to music. Over all of time, these artists went to sometimes incredible lengths of creativity, musicianship and effort to produce albums for our listening enjoyment. Especially in the decades where it mattered, from the mid 60's, to at least the end of the 80's, the golden age, each song and where it was placed was a considered art form decided by the bands involved. 

I would not desecrate their efforts by listening in any other way. Granted, the Ge x and Millennials tend to be universally ADD, somehow. I'm still trying to find a way to forgive them for their sins of literally choosing individual songs to listen to regardless of the intent of the artists.  But, Firedog, and please know I have great respect for you and your musical views, you should be ashamed to have fallen into this means of listening.