IGNORED

Article: Improve Your Audio System - Tonight!

11 minutes ago, firedog said:

Couldn't agree more. Just spent a week working on my new setup. Measured and setup correction myself with Audiolense. Not bad. Definitely better than what I started with. 

Then sent my measurements to Mitch Barnett at Accurate Sound.

He looked at my measurements, saw something odd, and I measured again, getting  better measurements as a result of his expertise. He then sent me 3 filters - one each day for 3 days. The first was good, the second was better, and the third was great!

This system is now locked in - room effects gone and the sound is clear and very alive sounding.

Mitch is easy to work with and will work with you to get a result you are happy with. 

The expense involved is a tiny fraction of what I spent on the hardware. It's without a doubt the best bang for the buck in audiophilia. If you aren't doing this you aren't getting all  you paid for with your system and not enjoying the music as much as you could.

Your comments gave me happy goosebumps. That has been my experience exactly!

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Given that I am temporarily going to be moving into a smaller room which will become my home office / music listening space, this article and others on this topic have piqued my interest as something that can help with the problems of bookshelf speakers on a desktop. My question is this. How do I get the room as good as it can get and then, how do I get the measurements?

No electron left behind.

3 hours ago, firedog said:

Couldn't agree more. Just spent a week working on my new setup. Measured and setup correction myself with Audiolense. Not bad. Definitely better than what I started with. 

Then sent my measurements to Mitch Barnett at Accurate Sound.

He looked at my measurements, saw something odd, and I measured again, getting  better measurements as a result of his expertise. He then sent me 3 filters - one each day for 3 days. The first was good, the second was better, and the third was great!

This system is now locked in - room effects gone and the sound is clear and very alive sounding.

Mitch is easy to work with and will work with you to get a result you are happy with. 

The expense involved is a tiny fraction of what I spent on the hardware. It's without a doubt the best bang for the buck in audiophilia. If you aren't doing this you aren't getting all  you paid for with your system and not enjoying the music as much as you could.

Which microphone did you use?

You know I recently bought a $400 Sony home theater receiver that was on sale for a rather modest home theater room. The room previously sounded like junk. I was blown away at what that Sony room correction processing power brought.

not only am I a purest turned believer I will take it further and say the days of Wilson speakers and stacks of DCS being required for out of this world sound are numbered.

how long will it be before a modest $10,000 speaker and amp combo makes a $100,000 system completely negated due to processing? I can’t wait.

Samsung 2TB SSD external drive > Oppo 205 USB in > McIntosh C45 > Proceed AMP5 > Mirage HDT Speakers > Velodyne HGS15 Sub // Nordost Blue Heaven Cables, PS Audio Quintet, OWC 2TB Mercury Elite Pro Firewire

8 hours ago, DuckToller said:

Which microphone did you use?

"just" the UMK-1 from mini-DSP

I used to have an expensive pro measurement microphone.

It needed a preamp.

This is USB based and much easier to use.

I can't compare results, as I sold the expensive mic.

But I'm very happy with the results with the inexpensive mic.

Seems to me the key is a decent mic with an individual calibration file, and not a generic one.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

2 hours ago, firedog said:

"just" the UMK-1 from mini-DSP

I used to have an expensive pro measurement microphone.

It needed a preamp.

This is USB based and much easier to use.

I can't compare results, as I sold the expensive mic.

But I'm very happy with the results with the inexpensive mic.

Seems to me the key is a decent mic with an individual calibration file, and not a generic one.

Oh that's good, that you like your outcome and that you achieved it with the Umik-1.

I do my measurements with the 2nd gen Umik-1, too. Just looking for assurance 😉

7 hours ago, mitchco said:

I tried uBACCH and if I set up my speakers 25 inches apart and sit 6 feet back, (as per Arch's article in Part III), the soundstage is the size of my front wall. Really incredible effect.  But that is not a practical setup (for me). Moving back to an equilateral triangle, the effect is pretty much neutralized. Further disappointed by the unreasonable price tag.

I demoed BACCH4Mac last year, but decided against keeping it past the trial period because it was expensive, complicated to set up, and required a USB signal to run through my old laptop if I wouldn’t also buy a Mac Mini. -All too much for me at the time even though the system gave a surprising soundstage improvement within a very narrow listening position. I liked the effect for most recordings very much but, like you, I am back to the classic 60 degree triangle.

HAF xtalk filtering in my standard setup is more general “reduction” for a broad sweet spot where you can sit any way you want, rather than total “cancellation” within a rigid, narrow space, -unless you pay $$ Theoretica for a head-tracking system.

I also use the miniDSP USB microphone.

1 hour ago, Meridimac said:

I demoed BACCH4Mac last year, but decided against keeping it past the trial period because it was expensive, complicated to set up, and required a USB signal to run through my old laptop if I wouldn’t also buy a Mac Mini. -All too much for me at the time even though the system gave a surprising soundstage improvement within a very narrow listening position. I liked the effect for most recordings very much but, like you, I am back to the classic 60 degree triangle.

HAF xtalk filtering in my standard setup is more general “reduction” for a broad sweet spot where you can sit any way you want, rather than total “cancellation” within a rigid, narrow space, -unless you pay $$ Theoretica for a head-tracking system.

I also use the miniDSP USB microphone.

My issue with the BACCH software it was very specific for a very small, sweet spot, like listening to a pair of ESL 57 speakers. Get out of the zone even a small amount, it didn't sound good. Maybe that is just me. Also, the expense, as it cost more than my whole system does. 

I get why people like it. Just not for me. 

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

11 hours ago, mitchco said:

I am hoping to give X-talk Shaper a trial and plugin it into HLHost and shoot a video on how one can easily add plugins to Roon or Qobuz or other music sources that do not support the plugin model. Video will be for both Mac and Windows.

If my room works well with my speakers (perhaps open floor plan, cathedral ceiling and asymmetric placement help?) and improving timbre/tone is my goal rather than increased soundstage per se, which tools/software do you recommend?

Grimm Audio MU2 > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables: Kubala-Sosna    Power management: Shunyata    Room: Vicoustics    Ethernet: Network Acoustics Muon Pro

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

Hi @PYP I would recommend taking acoustic measurements of your speakers in your room at the listening position. Then by looking at the frequency response we can understand the tone/timbre of your system and what areas may need adjusting via DSP/DRC tools. 

If you have a measurement mic and can follow one of the measurement procedures below, please send me the measurements and I can take a look. Thanks.

12 hours ago, mitchco said:

For two channel measurements, REW does a great job of getting the measurements. I use a slightly different method to avoid the two clock issue of trying to sync a record stream (UMIK-1 USB ADC with it's own clock) with the playback stream (DAC with its own clock). It's not just clock drift but the random start and stop times of each stream that never shall meet.

The idea is to put REW in wait mode and then play a "sweep" file that is a prerecorded .wav file one plays in the music player, just like any music file. The left and right sweep files contain a start "chirp" that tells REW when to start recording. Then the 20 Hz to 20 kHz sweep plays, followed by a stop chirp, which stops REW from recording further. This approach eliminates any timing issues using 2 clocks. 

I made a couple of "rough" videos on how to to this on Mac and on Windows using these sweep files. Initially, go easy on the volume until all connections are sorted and the process is repeatable. Then turn up the volume to your regular listening level and then take the left and right measurements. Send me the REW .mdat measurement file so I can evaluate your room. That's step 1. 

My system includes a Trinnov Altitude 16, which seems to offer very high quality room connection for immersive audio system (Wilson Audio Alex V and other Wilson Audio speakers, combined with D'Agastino amps).  How do you compare the sound quality for the Accurate Sound set-up versus the Trinnov Altitude 16?

6 minutes ago, Wine Doctor said:

My system includes a Trinnov Altitude 16, which seems to offer very high quality room connection for immersive audio system (Wilson Audio Alex V and other Wilson Audio speakers, combined with D'Agastino amps).  How do you compare the sound quality for the Accurate Sound set-up versus the Trinnov Altitude 16?

Trinnov is likely the best processor for room correction but still can’t compete with state of the art solutions. I’ve recommended Trinnov to many people because it’s very easy and very good. 

I know it has been discussed around here before, with some actual facts and graphs, but I can’t find it while I’m on the go at the moment. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png