IGNORED

Release of Sonic Orbiter Operating System v2.9 for the Rendu Series

3 hours ago, esmit said:

Sometimes, when changing from 44 to 48 (or a multiplication of that) sound is sttange/distorted, a little high pitched. Pause and restart solves this. Not frequently enough to be fully reproducible, in my opinion. I use SRX-DX, not the usb of my Mscaler. 

Post the output of Apps DAC Diagnostics for me.

I hope those people who criticized our decision to update via new microSD cards now understood the benefits of having a spare card to revert back to and test things. If you updated over the air on our competitions unit to a 6.x kernel you will have similar issues and you are now stuck there until a fix makes it’s way into the kernel. Yes, you can burn a new image, but that makes things cumbersome for you. Sonore is not a DIY project…we are customer centric. 

@esmit You should be playing some music when you capture the output

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

3 hours ago, Axiom05 said:

@esmit You should be playing some music when you capture the output

Missed that part:

DAC Diagnostics

This is a list of audio output devices attached to this player.

USB output

DAC description: SRC-DX      2fc6:6013

Diagnostic information for this DAC

AudioWise Inc. SRC-DX at usb-ci_hdrc.1-1.1, high speed : USB Audio

Playback:
    Interface = 1
    Altset = 3
    Packet Size = 288
    Momentary freq = 192000 Hz (0x18.0000)
  Interface 1
    Altset 1
    Format: S16_LE
    Channels: 2
    Endpoint: 0x01 (1 OUT) (ADAPTIVE)
    Rates: 44100, 48000, 88200, 96000, 176400, 192000, 352800, 384000, 705600, 768000
    Data packet interval: 125 us
    Bits: 16
    Channel map: FL FR
  Interface 1
    Altset 2
    Format: S24_3LE
    Rates: 44100, 48000, 88200, 96000, 176400, 192000, 352800, 384000, 705600, 768000
    Bits: 24
  Interface 1
    Altset 3
    Format: S32_LE
    Bits: 32
  Interface 1
    Altset 4
    Format: SPECIAL
    Bits: 32
    DSD raw: DOP=0, bitrev=0
access: RW_INTERLEAVED
format: S32_LE
subformat: STD
channels: 2
rate: 192000 (192000/1)
period_size: 4800
buffer_size: 9600
Simple mixer control 'PCM',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 127
  Mono:
  Front Left: Playback 127 [100%] [0.00dB] [on]
  Front Right: Playback 127 [100%] [0.00dB] [on]
Simple mixer control 'PCM',1
  Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Limits: Playback 0 - 127
  Mono: Playback 127 [100%] [0.00dB]
2 hours ago, esmit said:

Missed that part:

DAC Diagnostics

This is a list of audio output devices attached to this player.

USB output

DAC description: SRC-DX      2fc6:6013

Diagnostic information for this DAC

AudioWise Inc. SRC-DX at usb-ci_hdrc.1-1.1, high speed : USB Audio

These units are Adaptive USB!

Email me at [email protected]

I have something better for you to try.

Also they report as if they suport DSD which is wierd becuase it cant...it can only support DoP. 

For those of you having issues with Roon and/or HQP streaming with SO 2.9...I want you to try adjusting the buffer settings on the server side. One customer reported that he was using a high buffer settings and was able to fix things with a lower buffer setting.  

3 minutes ago, juniorbudel said:

As insane as this question may seem, I felt the “harder” sound typical of something new in the audio chain.

Sonic OS v2.9 does introduce a new kernel from v5.x to v6.x and new USB code, of what exactly I'm not sure.

For what its worth, I did not notice anything different at first. After a week or so, I noticed that I seem to be enjoying my digital music a bit more, no changes were made to my chain other than changing the UltraRendu OS to v2.9. I also play a bit of vinyl to mix things up.

I'm quite pleased with the new Sonic OS.

13 minutes ago, dknk said:

Sonic OS v2.9 introduz um novo kernel de v5.x para v6.x e um novo código USB, do qual exatamente não tenho certeza.

Pelo que vale, não notei nada de diferente no início. Depois de mais ou menos uma semana, percebi que estou gostando um pouco mais da minha música digital, nenhuma alteração foi feita em minha cadeia além de mudar o sistema operacional UltraRendu para v2.9. Também toco um pouco de vinil para misturar as coisas.

Estou bastante satisfeito com o novo Sonic OS.

I noticed potentially greater detail when installing the new SD but the sound seemed harsher with digitized artifacts, I left it playing straight, let's see what it will be like today after 24 hours of burning.

2 hours ago, juniorbudel said:

I installed SD yesterday with version 2.9. One question, is there a burning period?

You can't be serious? An OS can change the sound, but it won't burn in. Your ears may adjust to it over time (which imo is a huge part of burning in), or it may be that if 2.9 does increase clarity etc it might be showing off a deficiency elsewhere in your system. Or the change isn't  working for you ears and easy enough to revert back to 2.8. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

8 minutes ago, charlesphoto said:

Você não pode estar falando sério? Um sistema operacional pode alterar o som, mas não será gravado. Seus ouvidos podem se ajustar a ele com o tempo (o que é uma grande parte da gravação), ou pode ser que, se 2.9 aumentar a clareza, etc., pode estar aparecendo uma deficiência em outro lugar do seu sistema. Ou a mudança não está funcionando para você e é fácil o suficiente para voltar para 2.8. 

Yes, I'll wait a few hours of use to evaluate again, if the initial impression remains I'll go back with the SD with 2.8.

PS: I used a new Sandisk Class 10 to burn the 2.9 OS, while the 2.8 OS is on a Sandisk Class 4.

AFAIK, the OS and installed apps are loaded into memory and the actual card is somewhat irrelevant other than saving any settings.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

On 9/12/2023 at 12:43 PM, vortecjr said:

I hope those people who criticized our decision to update via new microSD cards now understood the benefits of having a spare card to revert back to and test things. If you updated over the air on our competitions unit to a 6.x kernel you will have similar issues and you are now stuck there until a fix makes it’s way into the kernel. Yes, you can burn a new image, but that makes things cumbersome for you. Sonore is not a DIY project…we are customer centric. 

Yes, as I have not used my SO 2.9 card as it doesn’t include the SonoreUPnP Bridge element I use on the UltraRendu, so I hav3 to continue to used the SO 2.8 release on that card.

Is there any progress on the inclusion of this product in the SO 2.9 release?

I replaced the 2.8 SD with the 2.9 SD on my opticalRendu and loaded the NAA software, but HQPlayer is not detecting the oR as an available NAA. I have rebooted both the oR and my sonicTransporter, to no avail. I also tried restarting the NAA app on the oR; also no luck. Thoughts on next steps? I have already experimented with going back to 2.8, which will work, but I would of course like to make the 2.9 upgrade work on my system if possible. Thanks

EDIT TO ADD: I access HQPlayer via JPlay, streaming Qobuz. Also, I did actually manage to (briefly) get HQPlayer to recognize the oR as an NAA by unchecking the iPv6 button. But even then I got no playback through JPlay/HQPlayer. I tried rebooting the sonicTransporter and my iPad to reconnect things; after that, HQPlayer agan no longer as able to recognize my Rendu as an NAA.

IMG_2690.png

IMG_2689.png

IMG_2688.png

What do you have selected in the "Back End" box?

ALSA or Network Audio?

On your HQP configuration page.

• HQPE 1.4/1.5 MHz 20 Bit PCM
  • Streaming Qobuz or playing files from external SSD
  • Surface Go 3 i3 Tablet with HQPlayer Client
  • ISP Cable Modem -> Ethernet -> Sonore opticalModule 
  • Sonore opticalModule  -> 20m Fiber -> Sonore opticalModule -> Ethernet -> Managed Switch
  • Managed Switch -> Ethernet -> Sonore opticalModule Deluxe -> 5m Fiber -> Sonore Sig Rendu SE Optical ( HQPlayer NAA )
  • Managed Switch -> Ethernet ->Small Green Computer sonicTransporter i9 Optical ( HQPlayer Embedded )
  • Sonore Sig Rendu SE Optical -> USB -> Holo Audio KTE May
  • Holo Audio KTE May -> XLR -> Goldpoint SA1X/47 -> XLR to Decware ZBIT -> RCA to Decware ZSTAGE25 -> RCA to Decware SE84UFO25 -> Avantgarde Duo Omega Horns with Townshend Audio Ribbon Super Tweeters
  • Decware SE84UFO25 -> Speaker Level to Jensen IsoMax Balanced Converter -> XLR Rives PARC -> XLR Avantgarde SUB225s

All,

Thank you for your thoughtful suggestions. It is apparent that Sonic Orbiter OS 2.9 simply is not compatible with the peculiarities of my system; at least not yet. I have reverted to 2.8 and am listening to beautiful music as I type this.

For those not bored by a deeper dig, my system consists of:

An iPad running JPlay, which send streams to ...

A sonicTransporter running sonicOrbiter OS 2.8 and HQPlayer upsampling in real time to DSD512 while also applying DSP filters, which is linked via optical fiber to ...

An opticalRendu renderer/NAA endpoint, which is running its own version of sonicOrbiter (whether 2.8 or 2.9), and which sends a digital signal via USB to ...

My DAC, which outputs analog signals to my preamp, etc. down the line to my speakers.

It is a miracle that this Rube Goldberg machine could ever work at all. 

Anyway, it can or should come as no surprise that updating a key element of this constellation of hardware and software might just cause the thing to say "Enough!" , as has happened to me here.

I have no regrets for having tried, not least because I was able to just swap back in the old 2.8 SD in the Rendu and immediately put things back the way they were. So, thanks to the folks at Sonore for their wisdom in not switching to over the air firmware updates. I would no doubt be totally up shit creek right now had that been the case.

Maybe a corrupt 2.9 card?

• HQPE 1.4/1.5 MHz 20 Bit PCM
  • Streaming Qobuz or playing files from external SSD
  • Surface Go 3 i3 Tablet with HQPlayer Client
  • ISP Cable Modem -> Ethernet -> Sonore opticalModule 
  • Sonore opticalModule  -> 20m Fiber -> Sonore opticalModule -> Ethernet -> Managed Switch
  • Managed Switch -> Ethernet -> Sonore opticalModule Deluxe -> 5m Fiber -> Sonore Sig Rendu SE Optical ( HQPlayer NAA )
  • Managed Switch -> Ethernet ->Small Green Computer sonicTransporter i9 Optical ( HQPlayer Embedded )
  • Sonore Sig Rendu SE Optical -> USB -> Holo Audio KTE May
  • Holo Audio KTE May -> XLR -> Goldpoint SA1X/47 -> XLR to Decware ZBIT -> RCA to Decware ZSTAGE25 -> RCA to Decware SE84UFO25 -> Avantgarde Duo Omega Horns with Townshend Audio Ribbon Super Tweeters
  • Decware SE84UFO25 -> Speaker Level to Jensen IsoMax Balanced Converter -> XLR Rives PARC -> XLR Avantgarde SUB225s
17 hours ago, jiminlogansquare said:

Thank you for your suggestions. Unfortunately, after trying all you suggested, I am still unable to select my Rendu as an NAA in HQPlayer. Additionally I restarted the NAA software on the Rendu, which made no difference.(Also, I leave my DAC powered on at all times, so it was on as the other devices/software booted up.)

Try rebooting your Router and or switch.

Good Luck……Mike