IGNORED

Release of Sonic Orbiter Operating System v2.9 for the Rendu Series

On 9/13/2023 at 9:08 AM, juniorbudel said:

I noticed potentially greater detail when installing the new SD but the sound seemed harsher with digitized artifacts, I left it playing straight, let's see what it will be like today after 24 hours of burning.

Unfortunately I'm having the same experience with 2.9 on my oR Roon only model. The detail and separation increase is very noticeable, but most likely showing up my DAC/Preamp as the sound can be like a sushi knife to my poor tinnitus ravaged ears. So back to 2.8 for me, which sounds slightly less detailed but more natural through my setup. I wouldn't say there are any 'digitized artifacts' I'm hearing with 2.9 though. I can imagine if one has top notch post Rendu gear, this upgrade brings a pretty huge benefit.

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

18 minutes ago, charlesphoto said:

Infelizmente, estou tendo a mesma experiência com 2.9 no meu modelo OR Roon apenas. O aumento de detalhes e separação é muito perceptível, mas provavelmente aparecendo meu DAC/Pré-amplificador, pois o som pode ser como uma faca de sushi para meus pobres ouvidos devastados pelo zumbido. Então, de volta ao 2.8 para mim, que parece um pouco menos detalhado, mas mais natural na minha configuração. Eu não diria que há algum 'artefato digitalizado' que estou ouvindo no 2.9. Posso imaginar que se alguém tiver equipamento pós-Rendu de primeira linha, essa atualização trará um benefício enorme.

How many hours did you leave the 2.9 playing?

Here, after about 30 hours the shrillness in the treble ended and the sound settled down, I haven't gone back to the 2.8 yet but it's certainly playing better with the 2.9 burnt out.

29 minutes ago, juniorbudel said:

How many hours did you leave the 2.9 playing?

Here, after about 30 hours the shrillness in the treble ended and the sound settled down, I haven't gone back to the 2.8 yet but it's certainly playing better with the 2.9 burnt out.

Ok, maybe I'll give it a try again. Only played for an hour, and could only stand it at a lower volume than I'm used to. I just wish I could swap cards without having to reboot the router etc...

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

1 hour ago, charlesphoto said:

The detail and separation increase is very noticeable, but most likely showing up my DAC/Preamp as the sound can be like a sushi knife to my poor tinnitus ravaged ears. 

I've got 2.9 installed and it does seem like it offers slightly increased clarity over 2.8, which is great.  I notice a touch more clarity across the frequency spectrum including a tad tighter and more dynamic bass.

It looks to me like you do have top notch gear!

I looked at a Stereophile review of the KEF Ls50 Anniversary Edition.  Measurements are here:  https://www.stereophile.com/content/kef-ls50-anniversary-model-loudspeaker-measurements

Here is the spatially averaged frequency response of the Ls50 speakers in John Atkinson's room (red line):  

image.png.90109dbf48f4e42f32a2a0cfc617ff30.png

I don't know what your in-room response looks like, but the JA room frequency response isn't really going to make most of our ears and brain happy at all, particularly in the treble.  Most listeners prefer a down-sloping frequency curve from bass to treble.

If your in-room response looks anything like the chart above, using Acourate or Audiolense room/speaker correction software could fix your prominent treble issues.  Most speakers need EQ to shine, in my opinion.

My system here

On 9/16/2023 at 11:59 AM, Cormorant said:

I've got 2.9 installed and it does seem like it offers slightly increased clarity over 2.8, which is great.  I notice a touch more clarity across the frequency spectrum including a tad tighter and more dynamic bass.

I looked at a Stereophile review of the KEF Ls50 Anniversary Edition.  Measurements are here:  https://www.stereophile.com/content/kef-ls50-anniversary-model-loudspeaker-measurements

Here is the spatially averaged frequency response of the Ls50 speakers in John Atkinson's room (red line):  

I don't know what your in-room response looks like, but the JA room frequency response isn't really going to make most of our ears and brain happy at all, particularly in the treble.  Most listeners prefer a down-sloping frequency curve from bass to treble.

If your in-room response looks anything like the chart above, using Acourate or Audiolense room/speaker correction software could fix your prominent treble issues.  Most speakers need EQ to shine, in my opinion.

Nice post.

On 9/16/2023 at 8:59 AM, Cormorant said:

I'm actually playing via Audio Physic Classic Compact speakers, which are much better than the KEF. I've done a bit of speaker repositioning and tamed things down a bit. The clarity in 2.9 is pretty stunning, and may just take some time to adjust too. It does have me playing at a lower volume, which isn't a bad thing...

On 9/14/2023 at 3:12 PM, jiminlogansquare said:

I replaced the 2.8 SD with the 2.9 SD on my opticalRendu and loaded the NAA software, but HQPlayer is not detecting the oR as an available NAA. I have rebooted both the oR and my sonicTransporter, to no avail. I also tried restarting the NAA app on the oR; also no luck. Thoughts on next steps? I have already experimented with going back to 2.8, which will work, but I would of course like to make the 2.9 upgrade work on my system if possible. Thanks

EDIT TO ADD: I access HQPlayer via JPlay, streaming Qobuz. Also, I did actually manage to (briefly) get HQPlayer to recognize the oR as an NAA by unchecking the iPv6 button. But even then I got no playback through JPlay/HQPlayer. I tried rebooting the sonicTransporter and my iPad to reconnect things; after that, HQPlayer agan no longer as able to recognize my Rendu as an NAA.

IMG_2690.png

IMG_2689.png

IMG_2688.png

Hey, all. I wanted to report back that, after lots of hair pulling and tooth gnashing, I eventually found the answer to my problem. Briefly, you gotta hit “Apply” on the HQPlayer Configuration page even though the name of the Rendu/DAC pathway are appearing in the NAA field, looking all to the world as if HQPlayer had recognized them. There is literally nothing about the UI of HQPlayer that would make you realize this intuitively. I just eventually tried hitting “Apply” even though there was no obvious signal to do so. AND IT WORKED. End of saga. 

On 9/26/2023 at 7:37 PM, jiminlogansquare said:

Hey, all. I wanted to report back that, after lots of hair pulling and tooth gnashing, I eventually found the answer to my problem. Briefly, you gotta hit “Apply” on the HQPlayer Configuration page even though the name of the Rendu/DAC pathway are appearing in the NAA field, looking all to the world as if HQPlayer had recognized them. There is literally nothing about the UI of HQPlayer that would make you realize this intuitively. I just eventually tried hitting “Apply” even though there was no obvious signal to do so. AND IT WORKED. End of saga. 

I appreciate you posting this. 

For those of you having issues with SO 2.9 (Linux ARM Kernel 6.x) I need to go though this post and emails to filter things. I'll separate user error and known issues and post as much information as possible. There are a few devices that are having issues such as glitches or dropouts, playback stops randomly, and/or playback does not start properly. We are going to enable a new feature on sonicorbiter.com that will allow us to gather information about the specific issue you are having.

The fall back position for listening to music is your SO 2.8 (Linux ARM Kernel 5.x) micro SD card.

2 hours ago, vortecjr said:

I appreciate you posting this. 

Sure thing. I ought to clarify that my explanation above skipped over an important step.

As my initial report indicates, the Rendu was not showing up AT ALL as an available NAA on the HQPlayer configuration page.

What I failed to mention in my followup was that I rebooted the sonicTransporter and Rendu a couple of times in my efforts to find a solution. That did eventually get the Rendu to show up as an NAA on the HQPlayer configuration page.

And only THEN was I able to click on "Apply" to get HQPlayer and the Rendu to send a signal to the DAC.

Such a lot of words; but hopefully it might help somebody else.

12 hours ago, vortecjr said:

For those of you having issues with SO 2.9 (Linux ARM Kernel 6.x) I need to go though this post and emails to filter things. I'll separate user error and known issues and post as much information as possible. There are a few devices that are having issues such as glitches or dropouts, playback stops randomly, and/or playback does not start properly. We are going to enable a new feature on sonicorbiter.com that will allow us to gather information about the specific issue you are having.

The fall back position for listening to music is your SO 2.8 (Linux ARM Kernel 5.x) micro SD card.

I updated my opticalRendu (2.9) via the web interface and now nothing will play via Roon. It just keep skipping tracks then says too many failures, stopping playback.

5 hours ago, topside3 said:

I updated my opticalRendu (2.9) via the web interface and now nothing will play via Roon. It just keep skipping tracks then says too many failures, stopping playback.

I have seen this with SO 2.9 updated in the last few days (Linux ARM Kernel 6.1). We have disabled that update until we can trace the issue. Luckily I have a DDC here that exhibits the issue and can test any new prospect versions. I'll be testing Linux ARM Kernel 6.2 soon.   

2 hours ago, dknk said:

Can you allow me to test the 6.2 kernel using my Denafrips dac? I have an UltraRendu and an OpticalRendu. I have backups for v2.8 and v2.9 so not worried about breaking something. Just a thought.

Yes. Let me work out a delivery method with Andrew at SGC. 

3 hours ago, dknk said:

Can you allow me to test the 6.2 kernel using my Denafrips dac? I have an UltraRendu and an OpticalRendu. I have backups for v2.8 and v2.9 so not worried about breaking something. Just a thought.

44 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

Yes. Let me work out a delivery method with Andrew at SGC. 

I'd like to be included as well please.

Denafrips Pontus II DAC.

I posted this in the incorrect thread (Sonore opticalRendu....apologizes).  I think this belongs in the OS 2.9 thread.  I believe there is a gapless playback issue with OS 2.9 in MPD/DLNA.  Below is based upon a couple steps over the last few days:

First

I have a new issue using JRiver over DLNA.  This has ALWAYS worked on my network/system until now.  My first play (after switching from Roon) was white noise.  Cleared the queue and started play again, all seemed good.  Now, there is a very brief pause at the 20 seconds to remain mark of each song. 

OS 2.9 (latest), JRiver/jremote (latest), signature rendu SE, PS Audio DSD mkii DAC.

Second

I believe the issue is a gapless problem.  Only occurs on live music (or I assume abbey road) using JRiver/dlna.  Gapless works fine in Roon.  Ug, who knows where the problem is.  

Think the issue revolves around the SetNext function.  JRiver allows me to disable SetNext (for broken renderers).  Disabling SetNext moves the pause (tick) to the beginning of the next track (right at the transition), from the 20 seconds left point.

Finally

I just re-installed 2.8.  gapless play works as it should.  None of the issues described above.

Thanks, Dale

On 10/2/2023 at 1:21 PM, amsco15 said:

I posted this in the incorrect thread (Sonore opticalRendu....apologizes).  I think this belongs in the OS 2.9 thread.  I believe there is a gapless playback issue with OS 2.9 in MPD/DLNA.  Below is based upon a couple steps over the last few days:

First

I have a new issue using JRiver over DLNA.  This has ALWAYS worked on my network/system until now.  My first play (after switching from Roon) was white noise.  Cleared the queue and started play again, all seemed good.  Now, there is a very brief pause at the 20 seconds to remain mark of each song. 

OS 2.9 (latest), JRiver/jremote (latest), signature rendu SE, PS Audio DSD mkii DAC.

Second

I believe the issue is a gapless problem.  Only occurs on live music (or I assume abbey road) using JRiver/dlna.  Gapless works fine in Roon.  Ug, who knows where the problem is.  

Think the issue revolves around the SetNext function.  JRiver allows me to disable SetNext (for broken renderers).  Disabling SetNext moves the pause (tick) to the beginning of the next track (right at the transition), from the 20 seconds left point.

Finally

I just re-installed 2.8.  gapless play works as it should.  None of the issues described above.

Thanks, Dale

We are in the process of updating the Kernel on SO2.9 so I would hold off on testing and troubleshooting until the new release comes out.

Is there any light at the end of the tunnel yet for the sonicTransporter 2.9 OS update?

• HQPE 1.4/1.5 MHz 20 Bit PCM
  • Streaming Qobuz or playing files from external SSD
  • Surface Go 3 i3 Tablet with HQPlayer Client
  • ISP Cable Modem -> Ethernet -> Sonore opticalModule 
  • Sonore opticalModule  -> 20m Fiber -> Sonore opticalModule -> Ethernet -> Managed Switch
  • Managed Switch -> Ethernet -> Sonore opticalModule Deluxe -> 5m Fiber -> Sonore Sig Rendu SE Optical ( HQPlayer NAA )
  • Managed Switch -> Ethernet ->Small Green Computer sonicTransporter i9 Optical ( HQPlayer Embedded )
  • Sonore Sig Rendu SE Optical -> USB -> Holo Audio KTE May
  • Holo Audio KTE May -> XLR -> Goldpoint SA1X/47 -> XLR to Decware ZBIT -> RCA to Decware ZSTAGE25 -> RCA to Decware SE84UFO25 -> Avantgarde Duo Omega Horns with Townshend Audio Ribbon Super Tweeters
  • Decware SE84UFO25 -> Speaker Level to Jensen IsoMax Balanced Converter -> XLR Rives PARC -> XLR Avantgarde SUB225s