IGNORED

Release of Sonic Orbiter Operating System v2.9 for the Rendu Series

5 hours ago, vortecjr said:

Correct.

Thank you kindly!   The release details confused some as to exactly what deleting LMS meant.

I've always run LMS on a capable box remote from the listening area and continue to find my ultraRendu a wonderfully transparent endpoint.  

Per the offer proposed by Small Green Computer for a free copy of Sonicorbiter OS Version 2.9, I'm writing a short review of my Micro Rendu and Optical Rendu.

I've had the Micro for several years now with no problems. Last year I bought an Optical Conversion Package from Small Green Computer that really helped the sound quality. I was so impressed that I loaned it to a friend to try on his Bluesound Node 2i. He subsequently bought an Optical Conversion Kit from Andrew at Small Green Computer.

I was so impressed by the Optical Conversion that I bought their Optical Rendu, which was better still. Andrew has always been helpful and responsive to any questions.

Charles

Hytek

The Rendu series has provided me with many hours of improved sonics compared to previously used digital front end.  However understanding the mechanisms involved requires more understanding of the computer platform than I possess.  As a result I spend too much time needing to “ figure things out.”

mbain

Looking forward to trying V2.9. I've both the microRendu and opticalRendu. Both wonderful. The oRendu sounds "cleaner". Both software and the Rendus worked smoothly. Most importantly, Andrew Gillis of SGC provided great support too.

(Unfortunately the opticalRendu CPU failed... apparently it took a power hit. Had to ship it back and Andrew was prompt to have it replaced.)

@vortecjr Apparently V2.8 had some limitations on DSD? Hope V2.9 can now handle DSD1024!

Roon Rock (Intel i5) > HQPlayer (Win11 Intel i9-12900, 32Gb DDR5 6000MHz, 360mm AIO, RTX3080TI 12Gb) >

WiFi > Sonore opticalRendu > USB >Holo Audio May >

Luxman C-900u > Luxman M-900u > Focal Sopra 2💙💛

I’m not aware on any such limitation with the operating system. There are things we can check on the hardware side and perhaps there are specific settings on the server that are needed. I don’t have the hardware to test this, but others have tried it and it works. 

On 7/30/2023 at 2:32 PM, mbain said:

The Rendu series has provided me with many hours of improved sonics compared to previously used digital front end.  However understanding the mechanisms involved requires more understanding of the computer platform than I possess.  As a result I spend too much time needing to “ figure things out.”

What kind of issue were you having?

On 7/30/2023 at 10:29 AM, R1200CL said:

My assumption is that if you don’t upgrade, you won’t receive any further maintenance upgrades for version 2.8. 

Maybe Jesus can confirm?

And will upgrade price rise at a later stage? Like, no free shipping. 

We will prioritize updates to the operating system for the latest version. We will always consider updates for previous version if something breaks, but we will generally not add additional support for previous versions. No idea what will happen with the cost in the future.

32 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

Not at the moment. I have to look at what it will take to make it work. 

Ok, as this is my main use of the UltraRendu, with SonoreUPnP Bridge providing connectivity between Roon & my Naim NDS network player, I will stay at SO 2.8 until this is operational on the latest version.

Note that you need to rei8nstall HQPlayer NAA software in Version 2.9

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

@vortecjr Hi Jesus,

I am on my second mSD Card with V2.9 and still no IP Address on my Signature Rendu SE Optical. If I put 2.8 back in I get an IP Address immediately.

Red LED on the back, doesn’t go to amber or green. Getting frustrating. Both of these cards shipped from Small Green Computer.

Please advise; I don’t think I am doing anything wrong on my end. Power Down, disconnect the Power Cable, remove existing mSD Card and insert the new one. Plug in Power Up…..

Thanks….Mike

1 hour ago, BCRich said:

@vortecjr Hi Jesus,

I am on my second mSD Card with V2.9 and still no IP Address on my Signature Rendu SE Optical. If I put 2.8 back in I get an IP Address immediately.

Red LED on the back, doesn’t go to amber or green. Getting frustrating. Both of these cards shipped from Small Green Computer.

Please advise; I don’t think I am doing anything wrong on my end. Power Down, disconnect the Power Cable, remove existing mSD Card and insert the new one. Plug in Power Up…..

Thanks….Mike

That unit may need to go to SGC for a look see. If the OS does not like the CPU we need to look into it throughly and that requires removing the CPU. We can get it to work though even if it means swapping out the CPU. Contact SGC when you are ready.  

13 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

That unit may need to go to SGC for a look see. If the OS does not like the CPU we need to look into it throughly and that requirs removing the CPU. We can get it to work though even if it means swapping out the CPU. Contact SGC when you are ready.  

That’s disappointing, but it is what it is.

I sent Jim an email already.

Thanks….Mike

I just installed 2.9 in my Signature Rendu SE Optical. I was unable to select Native in Roon settings for my Playback Designs MPD DAC. I ran update and rebooted the Rendu. I was then able to select Native.

The next issue was that I couldn’t load my Roon Core for my Nucleus +.  Shutting off the Nucleus + and restarting solved the Roon Core issue.

Everything is working well now. I hope this info will be helpful to others.

Steve Plaskin

Really like the ultrarendu series. Have one running for years as a squeezelite player with LMS installed on a separate server. Set and forget. Just enjoying the music of a streamer that is in my view one of the best value propositions for a high quality Logitech Media Server streamer. 

Have no direct need to install 2.9 as 2.8 has been running fine. But when something new is out, I might try it. Are there sound improvements as well?

48 minutes ago, Blackfiction said:

Really like the ultrarendu series. Have one running for years as a squeezelite player with LMS installed on a separate server. Set and forget. Just enjoying the music of a streamer that is in my view one of the best value propositions for a high quality Logitech Media Server streamer. 

Have no direct need to install 2.9 as 2.8 has been running fine. But when something new is out, I might try it. Are there sound improvements as well?

Yes, I heard sound improvements using Roon.

Steve Plaskin

I have a microRendu running v 2.8 and an ultraRendu running v 2.7. Can I upgrade the ultra to v 2.9 directly from v 2.7?

Happy Days with My Rendus

I have been running LMS on a Home Server for many years initially using a combination SB Touches and Radios around the house. In 2016 I purchased a microRendu to replace the Touch in my main system. The improved sound quality was immediately apparent especially when the Rendu was powered by an Uptone LPS 1. Upgrading to an ultraRendu a couple of years later brought another jump in audio satisfaction and seamless integration. It is currently powered by an Uptone LPS 1.2. The microRendu happily sits in my study system.

I love the small form factor of the Rendus, reliability and solid customer support, sound quality and perhaps the greatest benefit of all the seamless integration with my Squeezebox environment. Thanks for a great suite of products. 

I have owned both a microRendu and UltraRendu for several years. I have a highly resolving system with Magnepan 3.7i speakers. The UltraRendu was a definite step up over the microRendu. It is interesting how much better even the microRendu is in average systems than something like the BlueSound Node 2.1. The UltraRendu has been rock solid in my main system and allows me to take advantage of system upgrades. I have always been a believer in getting the source right.