IGNORED

Release of Sonic Orbiter Operating System v2.9 for the Rendu Series

9 hours ago, E-Stat said:

Put old microSD card back in!  

I will do temporarily, but 2.8 doesn't sound as good as 2.9.

The UK importer is sending me a replacement 2.9 card, which I will NOT be updating!

TP-Link MR6400 4G router > Uptone EtherREGEN reclocker > Sonore Signature Rendu Deluxe streamer > Gustard U18 DDC > Gustard X26 Pro DAC > Belles SA-100 power amp > Usher Dancer Be-20 speakers. AfterDark clocks x 2. Uptone JS-2 PSUs x 2.  PS Audio P3 & P12 regenerators.

https://theaudiostandard.net

Just going to add an observation of mine.

Ever since I've had Sonic orbiter 2.9 it's been very slow switching on and rebooting. When rebooting it reaches one it'll hang there for ages, sometimes so long it times out. Sometimes it will come back sometimes not.

But I found something you could try that works sometimes.
Switch off or disconnect your DAC and then reboot or switch on and see how quickly it connects. If it connects without your DAC switched on then try resetting your DAC to factory settings and then put your usual settings back in. 
I found doing this doesn’t stop disconnections or booting up problems completely, but reduce them a lot.

Personally, I think I can tell if I’m going to get a disconnection problem when listening to music as the sound isn’t quite right. So usually before I start listening, I will reboot the Rendu until my DAC shows proper connection in the Rendu web settings after a reboot, that usually guarantees good connection for me.

3 minutes ago, Paddlefoot said:

i heard from Andrew, card on the way!

Did he think it was a corrupted card? Or was it just to roll it back to the original 2.9 release? I'm hoping issues get resolved soon. Worst $29 I ever spent (lol...just kidding, I know they'll get it fixed for everyone).

When you do these updates you have to check that you USB device is listed in DAC Diagnostic and then press Save in Setting or set the unit to NAA mode. 

You also need to go to Roon, HQPlayer, and/or mConnect to reset things there. 

If you are having boot issues email me directly at [email protected]

FYI 

Red status LED = no boot

Orange status LED = no internet / network issue

Green status LED = unit can be managed

10 hours ago, vortecjr said:

When you do these updates you have to check that you USB device is listed in DAC Diagnostic and then press Save in Setting or set the unit to NAA mode. 

You also need to go to Roon, HQPlayer, and/or mConnect to reset things there. 

If you are having boot issues email me directly at [email protected]

FYI 

Red status LED = no boot

Orange status LED = no internet / network issue

Green status LED = unit can be managed

I just made sure that my DAC was recognized by the OS, went to settings and hit save, rebooted, and still the same issues. Roon will just skip tracks until it says "Too many failures. Stopping Playback"

7 hours ago, topside3 said:

I just made sure that my DAC was recognized by the OS, went to settings and hit save, rebooted, and still the same issues. Roon will just skip tracks until it says "Too many failures. Stopping Playback"

Did you go to Roon Audio and select the Rendu? 
Also, have you synced your music collection and Roon storage?

2 hours ago, vortecjr said:

Did you go to Roon Audio and select the Rendu? 
Also, have you synced your music collection and Roon storage?

Yes. Roon recognizes the opticalrendu, but will not play anything. I do not have any Roon storage, so nothing to sync. Would you like me to email you directly to work through the issue?

10 hours ago, topside3 said:

Yes. Roon recognizes the opticalrendu, but will not play anything. I do not have any Roon storage, so nothing to sync. Would you like me to email you directly to work through the issue?

Unfortunately, SO 2.9 is not compatible with Denafrips DACs. The update was to fix these devices and even though early testing showed it would there are still issues. For this case we need to recommend SO 2.8. Also, Denafrips needs to be notified and they need to look at their firmware for a possible fix. 

On 11/4/2023 at 1:32 PM, simon_pepper said:

Have update the SO 2.9 environment to this latest kernel, all fine.

is there any timeline on the availability of the SonoreUPnP Bridge on this release.

Meanwhile I will go back to SO 2.8

Thanks

Simon

This application has been dropped on SO 2.9. 

54 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

This application has been dropped on SO 2.9. 

Ok, I will stay on SO 2.8, however will this version remain 'supported', in that if the SD Card becomes corrupted and a replacement is required, will I be able to buy a version with SO 2.8 installed to continue operation of the UltraRendu with the SonoreUPnP Bridge application?

Can I buy a backup now?

I imagine this is also relevant to Rendu users who also have to remain on SO 2.8 for their NAA to be operational, and SonicTransporter users who utilize the SonoreUPnP Bridge application, who are also left stuck at SO 2.8

Unfortunately, I will have to cease recommending and promoting use of the SonoreUPnP application on the Naim and Roon forums, for those with equipment that isn't Roon Ready and this solution provided a future path for their equipment through some small additional equipment instead of an expensive upgrade to obtain Roon support.

2 hours ago, vortecjr said:

Unfortunately, SO 2.9 is not compatible with Denafrips DACs. The update was to fix these devices and even though early testing showed it would there are still issues. For this case we need to recommend SO 2.8. Also, Denafrips needs to be notified and they need to look at their firmware for a possible fix. 

I have a Denafrips Dac and and patiently awaiting the new OpticalRendu2 to replace my original OR which I have sold. Will the new OR be compatible with 2.8? Can it be shipped with 2.8 upon request? 

EtherRegen powered by Sonore UltraCap LPS1.2 -> Optical Cable ->OpticalRendu powered by SGC 50w LPS -> Ghent silver plated ->star quad USB (JSSG360)->Denafrips Hermes DDC -> i2S HDMI (Clocked by Terminator Dac via BNC)->Denafrips Terminator II Dac->Linear Tube Audio Preamplifier->Melody 845M Monoblocks -> Silversmith Fidelium Speaker Cables->Pure Audio Project Trio15 Coaxial Open Baffle Speakers->2X SVS 4000 Subwoofers->All connected to PSAudio P10 Power Plant

11 minutes ago, sandston said:

I have a Denafrips Dac and and patiently awaiting the new OpticalRendu2 to replace my original OR which I have sold. Will the new OR be compatible with 2.8? Can it be shipped with 2.8 upon request? 

I would recommend to get one with SO 2.9 and just order a SO 2.8 card requesting it via email. 

On 11/9/2023 at 1:50 PM, vortecjr said:

No worries about getting cards with 2.8 in the future. Just email us and it can be arranged.  

Have done, as I would like to hold a backup SO 2.8 in reserve, if/when the current card becomes corrupt and fails to reboot.

I don't believe this is something that Small Green Computing can provide which is the fulfilment link on the Sonore website, as my contact with Andrew requires your attention.

If you could provide a spare card containing the SO 2.8 version, I can configure it to ensure that I have a direct swap replacement without any online interaction. This ensures I can continue using the SonoreUPnP application, even it becomes unavailable on your servers.
You should have my details.

My only comment to this is that the initial release of SO 2.9 sounds like a significant upgrade over 2.8.  I guess it's mainly down to the USB stack improvements, but whatever the reason(s), it really does sound better on my Signature Rendu SE / Gustard U18 / Gustard X26 Pro.

I would cry if I had to go back to 2.8, although I keep my old card in case of calamity.  I am therefore grateful to have received a fresh 2.9 from the UK importer so that I may continue to listen at the highest sound quality.  I shall not be updating this one!

TP-Link MR6400 4G router > Uptone EtherREGEN reclocker > Sonore Signature Rendu Deluxe streamer > Gustard U18 DDC > Gustard X26 Pro DAC > Belles SA-100 power amp > Usher Dancer Be-20 speakers. AfterDark clocks x 2. Uptone JS-2 PSUs x 2.  PS Audio P3 & P12 regenerators.

https://theaudiostandard.net

• 2 weeks later...

I've moved on from Sonore. I love the sound quality but too many reboots and audio drop outs for me.

I just want to pick up my ipad and play music.

Sonictransport  i9, DCS Bartok Apex DAC/Streamer

REL Acoustics S/510 Sub Woofer

Audionet Watt Integrated Amp - Vivid Audio Kaya 45 loudspeakers

Some basic information because we have a few people asking.

SO 2.8 will not work on the new SOMs we are currently using. The new SOM is very similar to the old one, but the manufacturer had to change the network chip (blame covid related shortages) and that meant we needed a new operating system built against it. The miracle is that SO 2.9 is able to run on all the older Rendu so upgrades are possible. There are a few odd corner cases, but we can usually fix these. 

On 11/11/2023 at 12:41 PM, MartinT said:

Also, the version numbering is poor. Both pre- and post- update versions just say "2.9". You really should use sub-versioning such as 2.9.1 so that we all know where we stand and can more easily discuss particular issues.

When we have issues and need the people with them too test things so we release an interim update and don't advertise it. We don't update the version numbers to keep the majority of people from updating their boxes because they may not need the update. This gives us a chance to vet things. Generally you don't need to update and you can sit tight if things are working for you. If there is a safe update or something important we usually say so.     

On 11/10/2023 at 8:24 AM, vortecjr said:

SO 2.9 has some issues under the hood. We identified a few of them yesterday and are working to fix them. I'll keep you posted when there is something to try on your end.   

Hello, Just received an Optical Rendu V2 (running on the 2.9 software). I connect it,  I can see the OR in the sonicorbiter site... but when I click on manage / Apps / DAC Diagnostics, I received the message 'No audio devices found. Attach a USB DAC to this player'. I try numerous times, reboot everything (OR, router, etc...), connect / disconnect everything numerous times, it does not work. My DAC is a Border Patrol Se-i (it's a R2R Dac). Why??? Is it possible that the new OR is not compatible with this Dac? Any suggestions???

2 hours ago, Guy M said:

Hello, Just received an Optical Rendu V2 (running on the 2.9 software). I connect it,  I can see the OR in the sonicorbiter site... but when I click on manage / Apps / DAC Diagnostics, I received the message 'No audio devices found. Attach a USB DAC to this player'. I try numerous times, reboot everything (OR, router, etc...), connect / disconnect everything numerous times, it does not work. My DAC is a Border Patrol Se-i (it's a R2R Dac). Why??? Is it possible that the new OR is not compatible with this Dac? Any suggestions???

Go to the units home page and add /diag to the ip address and post the USB information.