IGNORED

Axpona 2023 Updates

6 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

No! I missed those!

Esoteric really knew what they were doing. I have to say, that was the 2nd pair of Klipschorns I have heard that I actually liked. The other was an original pair from 1958 that another friend owned.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

Other things he had in his house.....

The little speakers on stands were mine. Those are a set of Rogers LS2's. The stand was some inexpensive MDF ones 30" tall (too high). The last pic is a Nakamichi rack system, never seen one together and he had one and two others he was putting back together.

DSC00694.JPG

DSC00703.JPG

DSC00704.JPG

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

I didn't get a great pictue but this room, with Accupahse Electronics or Soulution? The Accuphase sounded fantastic and the Soulution sounded so shrill, and this was with the same source material (same LP).

20230415_103359.jpg

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

More importantly, what was the standout music and what drove you to distraction? NO MORE BILLIE EILISH please.......

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

14 minutes ago, botrytis said:

I didn't get a great pictue but this room, with Accupahse Electronics or Soulution? The Accuphase sounded fantastic and the Soulution sounded so shrill, and this was with the same source material (same LP).

20230415_103359.jpg

I would've loved to listen in that room, but it was like a nightclub. Long thumping bass tracks that eventually turned me away, and I never found the time to head back there. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

1 minute ago, botrytis said:

More importantly, what was the standout music and what drove you to distraction? NO MORE BILLIE EILISH please.......

This is a big deal. Shows can be great for music discovery. I usually end up with the iPad, and playing my own music in systems I really want to hear. I've only played room clearing songs a couple times :~)

I played Lady Black Bird's Black Acid Soul in a few rooms, as well as The War on Drugs album I Don't Live Here Anymore. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

This was my go to..... A little long though.

One room wanted people to suggest some electronic music - I threw this in......

Early electronic music - around the same time as Joy Division. This LP is a trip using headphones.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Then I threw in once, what I called, 'The exitentialists version of 'Dock of the Bay' by Inger Marie Gundersen. Don't get me wrong, I like it - it is unique but the mood it conveys....

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

What did you think of these? The 33K Clarisys Minuet. They sounded great with the Hegel equipment. They sounded great in the other room also.

20230414_105648.jpg

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Beautiful looking system, horrible sounding Wilson-Bensch speakers.

I much preferred this speaker, the Anniversary Falcon LS3/5a.

20230414_101658.jpg

20230414_133910.jpg

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

So, one of the first rooms I saw was the Plasmatron plasma tweeter room. The speakers are ESS (?) but only up to 1000 Hz (just the woofers), then it crosses over to the plasma tweeter. Yes, OSHA would have a fit!!! A full helium cylinder lying there, while open.

It was really amazing sounding, if you got over the ozone smell.

20230414_114435.jpg

20230414_114447.jpg

20230414_115102.jpg

20230414_115106.jpg

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Many people were scared to go in there. I have worked in worse places than that, trust me.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

The head in the above pics is my wife 🤣

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

19 hours ago, botrytis said:

Even this? It was in the special sale bin..... No, I didn't buy it, my wife, ever the consummate logician said, "You don't like MQA, why waste the money?" She does have a point.

I know the work that goes into putting on a room like that. The forum, Audiokarma.org, used to have a member get together at a hotel and show off their systems (NO, NOT YOU CHRIS, I wouldn't want to pay for the truss and back surgeries) I did that a few times. It was quite fun and learned more about me, than anything really (nothing wrong with that).

I would love to do it again. 

20230414_145713.jpg

LOL, and thanks for the inspiration: am listening to that album now, for the first time in a very long while. I still have the 16/44.1 release on my server, but I found the 30th anniversary edition on Qobuz at 24/192 and 24/96. And the MQA version is not on Tidal.

Everyone wants to date my avatar.

Heck  - I forgot about Rough Trade by Peter Townshend. I heard in one room and dragged it out of mothballs.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

My wife wouldn't allow Vivids, in the house, too Garden Gnome look or any Wilson speaker as they look like daleks...

hug-a-dalek-day.jpeg

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

The big issue that Whardale has is the Lintons are priced so low, it looks like they want to cash in. It is all built in the UK, so that is part of the increase...

That said, I really enjoyed the Dovedales. I could have listened to the for hours and that is a complement indeed.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

45 minutes ago, WilliamWykeham said:

Great summary, agree with almost all.

A few additional observations responding to other comments here:

I liked the Wharfedale Dovetails, they were easy to listen to, very British sounding, a real chiller.

This show sealed my impression of Magico. They just don’t sound that good. I’m a former A3 owner; I moved them all over my house, tried different sources, amps, could never get them to sound good.  Maybe I just needed to go up to the S line? Nope.  These are the opposite of disappearing speakers to me.  Not sure why I liked that A5 so much though, and I returned to the room to check, and liked it just as much. Weird. 

If I weren’t bleeding out my eyeballs from NYC childcare expenses for three under-5s, I might have a hard time deciding between the Clarysis and the Avantgarde. Avantgardes in the big room didn’t sound great to me.

Benesh -  I was pretty meh on these too.  Makes me question the upstream gear which you don’t see to often at shows.

There are some widely hyped concentric speakers that I was considering buying but won’t after this show.

I was also thinking about buying some notable active speakers making their debut at this show but won’t after hearing them.  

Vivid Audio.  I just don’t get it.  Sound or appearance.  

image.thumb.jpeg.f4e5ad8ced3554869b7755ac02765ccb.jpeg

The Avantgarde speakers usually sound great at Axpona and so-so in Munich. This year, the speakers were setup differently, along the short wall, and I was underwhelmed. 

1 hour ago, austinpop said:

Most disappointing

• Wilson Benesch. I have heard these, or at least the Flagship Eminence model sound incredible at Munich and RMAF in the past.
  • The Qunitessence rooms downstairs: Wilson Alexia V, the Alexx, and the Sonus Faber. World class gear, but sounding terrible.

I have to agree Rajiv. As much as I love Wilson Audio, heck I own 12 of the speakers, this showing was a disservice to the brand. Way over damped rooms that made one only hear the drivers as if in a laboratory. Musicality was sucked out. A real bummer.