IGNORED

Roon 2.0

mourip

Hi,

I have been using Roon for several years. Combined with integrated Qobuz it has really opened up my musical world. The most recent version 1.8 has been rock solid for me. I run the Core on Windows Server 2019 and the endpoint on a NUC running Piero's great Audiolinux.

They just released version 2.0 of their OS. Evidently it is mainly to enable users to get to their own music when remote from their home network. It is called ARC and has already been mentioned here.

I am not really interested in ARC but very interested in being able to survive the update with my server and library intact. If you go to the Roon Community forums it it as bit like being at the last day of Pompei, with people screaming and running through the streets while ash and rocks rain down. Not a pretty sight.

I decided to wait a bit until they remove the bodies and sweep the streets but am wondering if anyone here has already successfully updating.

Thanks for any input from those who have gone boldly!

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

1 hour ago, Marco Klobas said:

I agree: a lot of users just start new threads without making a little research in advance.

I find this happens a lot here on AS as well. Several members have bought DAC’s that don’t support Linux-based computers then start threads trying to figure out why they don’t work or how to workaround the issue. If they had just read the product documentation prior to purchasing the DAC it would save a bunch of heartache. Same with HQPlayer, users can’t figure out how it works without reading the documentation.

More on topic, I have upgraded to Roon 2.0 without issue on my Linux server and iPad remote. I don’t use ARC but did find that there was a Roon entry in the UPnP section of my router. I have since turned off UPnP based on recommendations here on AS.

Which DAC's don't support Linux? Can you name them?

Linux oft time doesn't need drivers.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

25 minutes ago, botrytis said:

Which DAC's don't support Linux? Can you name them?

Linux oft time doesn't need drivers.

The original T+A DAC8 DSD is one. The T+A website even had a section on it and a separate document stated:

"Linux is not officially supported by T+A for the use with our D/A converter DAC 8 DSD.
Nevertheless it is possible to use the DAC 8 DSD as a USB D/A converter with Linux PCs."

The NuPrime IDA-8 is another.

That said, these would generally work with Linux but limited to DoP when the user wanted to use "native" DSD in HQP.

Let's get back to the topic at hand.

That is all I wanted to know - thanks. I haven't seen one and that is why I am asking.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Roon now has a procedure for sticking with 1.8 or downgrading from 2.0 to 1.8. This is something they didn't do before. See the forum.

2.0 seems to be much the same as 1.8, with ARC being the big feature.

Unfortunately, I can't get ARC to work in  my setup so far. Hope they figure it out. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

@MercmanI don't know about the sky is falling. Roon is not the easiest thing to set up in many instances and lots of folk are not IT experts. They are entitled to ask for help or clarity when a brand new version is released. Help is often not received or worse, they are put down by the know it all community.
I think one of the biggest issues this time, is that it no longer works if you have no internet connection. Even with your own locally stored music! This was not divulged in any releases and caught many people off guard. I know it may be irrelevant for most but many people have bad internet connections on a regular basis. Now we are shut out of our own music when it goes down. This is why there is now a 1.8 Legacy version that will receive updates until the end of the year, Then you are SOOL! If you saw some of the replies to these customer posts from their COO of all people, you wold understand why the screaming is so loud. Thanks Roon🤬 

4 hours ago, Mauidj7 said:

@MercmanI don't know about the sky is falling. Roon is not the easiest thing to set up in many instances and lots of folk are not IT experts. They are entitled to ask for help or clarity when a brand new version is released. Help is often not received or worse, they are put down by the know it all community.
I think one of the biggest issues this time, is that it no longer works if you have no internet connection. Even with your own locally stored music! This was not divulged in any releases and caught many people off guard. I know it may be irrelevant for most but many people have bad internet connections on a regular basis. Now we are shut out of our own music when it goes down. This is why there is now a 1.8 Legacy version that will receive updates until the end of the year, Then you are SOOL! If you saw some of the replies to these customer posts from their COO of all people, you wold understand why the screaming is so loud. Thanks Roon🤬 

I’m sorry that the new version of Roon is a big disappointment for you. I just don’t see the “screaming” from folks as being a catastrophe for Roon after checking out the site this evening. I guess I’m missing this outcry.

I also have little IT knowledge, but did receive help and advice from other Roon users that helped me to get things working. 

Obviously, my comments are worthless to folks like yourself that don’t have good internet service. 

I understand your frustration with this new release.

Steve Plaskin

On 9/22/2022 at 8:53 PM, Mercman said:

I’m sorry that the new version of Roon is a big disappointment for you. I just don’t see the “screaming” from folks as being a catastrophe for Roon after checking out the site this evening. I guess I’m missing this outcry.

I also have little IT knowledge, but did receive help and advice from other Roon users that helped me to get things working. 

Obviously, my comments are worthless to folks like yourself that don’t have good internet service. 

I understand your frustration with this new release.

Thank you Steve.

I can see how this does not affect the vast majority of their user base so I guess they have weighed up the pros and cons of upsetting a few for the benefit of their new model. It was apparently done to improve the database and searches...or something like that.
Ironically when I signed up as a lifer the question that convinced me to do so was..."What if you go out of business...can I still use Roon and access MY music?" Answer..Definitely YES!!!!!
So now they are totally going back on this promise. If or when they go out of business no one will be able to get service with this new system. I thinks its disgusting behavior and they probably could find themselves in hot water if people wanted to push.

I've invested tens of thousand of dollars in my Roon streaming equipment and this is a big blow. Fortunately I can move to Minimserver or something else. Sure glad I didn't buy a Nucleus ;-)

Such a shame as its a pretty decent product (could even be great if they spent more time fixing issues rather than bringing a bunch of new and unnecessary stuff to the platform) but the company and their lack of real customer service are not so great IMO.

TG for my SACD's and vinyl. Still the best :-)

9 minutes ago, Mauidj7 said:

Thank you Steve.

I can see how this does not affect the vast majority of their user base so I guess they have weighed up the pros and cons of upsetting a few for the benefit of their new model. It was apparently done to improve the database and searches...or something like that.
Ironically when I signed up as a lifer the question that convinced me to do so was..."What if you go out of business...can I still use Roon and access MY music?" Answer..Definitely YES!!!!!
So now they are totally going back on this promise. If or when they go out of business no one will be able to get service with this new system. I thinks its disgusting behavior and they probably could find themselves in hot water if people wanted to push.

I've invested tens of thousand of dollars in my Roon streaming equipment and this is a big blow. Fortunately I can move to Minimserver or something else. Sure glad I didn't buy a Nucleus ;-)

Such a shame as its a pretty decent product (could even be great if they spent more time fixing issues rather than bringing a bunch of new and unnecessary stuff to the platform) but the company and their lack of real customer service are not so great IMO.

Please. Enough with the hyperbole!! The sky is not falling....

If Roon goes out of business, they will put out one last release that does not require online access to their servers. So no, they are not going back on that promise. What they have done with this last release is stupid in my mind. Requiring Internet access at all times is crazy.

Volumio also seems to require internet access at all times. I am thinking about trying Daphile again and it is free. 

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

4 hours ago, musicjunkie917 said:

Please. Enough with the hyperbole!! The sky is not falling....

If Roon goes out of business, they will put out one last release that does not require online access to their servers. So no, they are not going back on that promise. What they have done with this last release is stupid in my mind. Requiring Internet access at all times is crazy.

FYI......I was the one who said the sky is not falling. Read my first post please.

That quoted comment was the answer they gave in reply to the going out of business question posed years ago. Have you asked that question today? Does it still apply and if so how, given that their structure is now 100% cloud based? Can they do that, and if they can, why not now? I'm open to being corrected. All I know is that right now with 2.0 if the internet goes so does my Roon based music...hyperbole or not.

8 hours ago, Mauidj7 said:

Thank you Steve.

The point is that you’re buying a license to use their services and you’re not buying their sw, therefore should they go out of business you cannot use their services anymore

Stefano

My audio system

To bring in positive thoughts, check out this thread: 

Where in the world have you taken ARC? Let us know here!

Wonderful pictures from the road listening to music via ARC. I'll be doing that soon too. 👍

I can tell you there are places in the US that cell phones have no connection at all. MANY places.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590