IGNORED

Roon 2.0

mourip

13 hours ago, stefano_mbp said:

The point is that you’re buying a license to use their services and you’re not buying their sw, therefore should they go out of business you cannot use their services anymore

Thats very interesting. But buying a license to use services...what does that mean? Service or software is irrelevant. I purchased Roon to allow me to play my music around the house. No streaming, no internet or need for anything else. Even allowing for your comment, it doesn't alter the fact that their "service" will be disrupted every time the internet goes out. So what's the difference? I don't care if its service or software...I want to play MY music when I want. That's the promise I was sold. Now its gone!  And if it a service why did they say that if they go out of business they they will put out one last release that does not require online access to their servers  Confused!

• 3 weeks later...

ROON 2.0 is effective and just as enjoyable as previous editions.

That said ARC I thought would be great... downloaded easily. connected to my core and worked ONCE or TWICE in my vehicle a 2020 jeep grand cherokee north with an Alpine sound system(even Apple Play suddenly worked!) the SQ was really good. It(ARC) also worked once or twice in my office---then wouldn't connect to my server that was obviously miles away.

I also saw the avalanche of threads on ROON support and Community but THE SKY WAS NOT FALLING (for me) and we have no Mt Vesuvius in Upstate Central NY--that means west of Albany--- but I do live near Pompey NY. I couldn't believe the convoluted misunderstood remarks of people on their threads in ROON nor the answers--I got a very nice and typical technical non-answer from Support which I mostly didn't understand.

Wrote back  that I gave up on ARC and so should all you above--Sirius is decent enough for my JEEP and my Qobuz/TIDAL sound great in my office on my new iPad Pro.

Plus if I want really great SQ in my Jeep I just hook up my iPhone or iPad  for Qobuz or TIDAL AND all my downloaded playlists/favorites.

So for all of y'all above why not just use Sirius or HD FM or your iPhone/Pad ---ARC isn't worth the time or energy PLUS Audirvana IMHO is easier to use and sounds better than ROON in my home--said that to ROON Support also but I use both.

bobbmd

Time to give Audirvana a try I guess. Roon is not terrible at all but it us not what I personally was hoping for. Horrible UI, Roon Radio sucks, Metadata and catalog handling is frustrating in general but particularly boxed sets and classical problems. But the terrible customer service is the breaking point as far as I'm concerned. Each to his or her own of course. Nice to have choices.

I finally allowed Roon 2.0 to install and have encountered no issues with the basic functionality. Sounds the same and works the same. I have no need for ARC so I have not configured it.

I do think that they will need to reevaluated the complete dependency on an Internet connection though. Luckily I live in an area with high availability but I can see it as an issue in more rural areas or ones with shaky ISP's.

I hope that they will continue to provide a "classic version" indefinitely to met the needs of others.

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

4 hours ago, mourip said:

I hope that they will continue to provide a "classic version" indefinitely to met the needs of others.

They have said they will leave Roon 1.8 Legacy version available indefinitely, but will stop updating it at the end of the year. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)