IGNORED

Article: Flagship Electrostatic Headphones Review: Audeze CRBN & Stax SR-X9000

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Wow, where to start @austinpop?! Thanks for the superb review. I also enjoyed your comparison to your current Meze reference. Well done! Great selection of music as well. 

Thanks, I appreciate that!

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

This is quite a statement, "On classical symphonic music, the genre I listen to most, the SR-X9000’s was by far the best music reproduction I have ever heard on headphones. It has a vast soundstage, tonality that is spot on, and it reproduces instruments with such realism in texture and tone that it connected me to the music more emotionally than any other component."

Now I must listen to these and compare to my reference, the RAAL-requisite SR1a.

Absolutely! It would be really interesting to compare the SR-X9000/Carbon CC combo to the SR1a driven by your Audio Research amp. 

I also wish I had gotten my hands on a Head Amp Blue Hawaii SE electrostatic amp, to better explore the gamut of bespoke electrostatic headphone amps. Something for the future perhaps.

12 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Now I must listen to these and compare to my reference, the RAAL-requisite SR1a.

I recommend upgrading your SR1a to the new RAAL-Requisite VM-1a tube headphone amp and use a neutral DAC with it (I have not tried a warm DAC with it yet). This amp is better than ANY 2-channel gear on the SR1a (no amp interface box). It is also better than the RAAL-Requisite HSA-1b amp.

The new RAAL-Requisite CA-1a headphone, that also works with the VM-1a amp, is also something special.

Excellent work Rajiv!  I really enjoy your reviewing style.  Very informative and helpful.

Oh, and nice to see you've joined us in the DHT cult!

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

4 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I’ve never had an RME DAC here. 

My bad, I was thinking that was your desk.  Now I realize the photo was from the audio show. 

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet

• 2 weeks later...

Great review. I wish, I could afford everything mentioned in this article. I own the Stax SRM-1/MK-2 Professional Electrostatic Headphone since 1983. They were at this time the best sounding headphone on the market, and also the most expensive, cost just $500 (laugh). Since than I did not hear any Stax headphone (is it a big difference in sound quality vs price ratio)? My system including Quad ESL-63 (orginal), REL 212/SE, Luxman L-550AX, Oppo UDP-205, Yamaha NP-S2000 monster 26.5 lbs Network Player/DAC, Sennheiser HD-800S. I did not necessary hear any better audio set up. One of the best system I remember in the past was Martin Logan CLS and Velodyne Acoustics sub's driven by Mark Levinson electronics. Keep up good work but the most important is just keeping up the cost of audio equipment at bay. By the way, album "X" by the German electronic music pioneer, composer and musician Klaus Schulze sound owesome on my system (SHM-cd), not mention Yello's "Baby" great cd. Cheers!

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...