IGNORED

Testing MQA: Is it worse than FLAC?

19 hours ago, botrytis said:

Sorry, a higher res file compared to a 44.1. I can tell you are a MQA maven. That is a bullshit comparison. Tey a 96/24 REGULAR FLAC version then tell us what you think. 

Tinnitus is nothing to sneeze at - my wife has it and sometimes she gets doppler affects (going from ear to ear).

But by MQA standards shouldn't I have found their MQA  96 file to sound so much better than a lowly PCM 44? 

If I'm in the office, computer and printer fans whirring and music playing via speaker it really makes little to no difference so I can live with whatever's served to me, but beyond that not a fan of the MQA business model...

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

16 minutes ago, charlesphoto said:

But by MQA standards shouldn't I have found their MQA  96 file to sound so much better than a lowly PCM 44? 

If I'm in the office, computer and printer fans whirring and music playing via speaker it really makes little to no difference so I can live with whatever's served to me, but beyond that not a fan of the MQA business model...

The point being, I have been in many MQA comparisons and all they ever did was compare 92K MQA files to CD quality files. That is comparing apples and oranges. Compare the same resolution MQA to FLAC. That is the more obvious equal footing comparison.

One MQA comparison, I was at at a dealer, Wilson Speakers was doing the comparison and found many CD-quality tracks WERE better than 96K MQA of the same track. That does not bode well.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

5 hours ago, lucretius said:

Sometimes CD quality tracks sound better than the 24bit/96KHz (or 24/192) track from HDtracks -- different masters. <snip>

I've always found the dynamic range database enlightening in this regard. Amazing how many times you note the 'HDtracks et al' variants seems to be massively compressed. Yet another stab in the guts for music lovers.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/2/2021 at 8:20 PM, saturdayboy said:

Tidal HiFi is now available for $9.99 per month via BestBuy

So what, thats Best Buy subsidizing the cost in hopes of selling hardware.

On 4/2/2021 at 8:20 PM, saturdayboy said:

you can get hi res Qobuz (which now has a catalog that rivals Tidal) for $150 a year.

Disingenuous to then mention the TIDAL competitor service at a much higher dollar amount that is the annual cost, while trumping up TIDAL at a monthly rate. Apples-to-oranges, and a blatant attempt to confuse some who might only take a cursory look at what you are saying.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/2/2021 at 7:58 PM, botrytis said:

For my part, that is part of what is taught in Graduate School in science, here in the USA. I mean in microbiology, Pasteur really is the father of modern microbiology and immunology as he showed how to prove something causes a disease. This is used every day by doctors, scientists, etc. That is not observational that is proof.

I apologize for the late reply/quote, but Pasteur was a fraud. He admitted this on his deathbed, and in 1995 (if I am not mistaken) his entire research was debunked. To this day there is no proof whatsoever of any virus being contagious, but certain very large corporations don't want you to know this, because it would instantly render their gazillion dollar industry obsolete.

An annoying noise annoys an oyster

• 6 months later...
On 4/16/2021 at 10:41 PM, MikeyFresh said:

So what, thats Best Buy subsidizing the cost in hopes of selling hardware.

Disingenuous to then mention the TIDAL competitor service at a much higher dollar amount that is the annual cost, while trumping up TIDAL at a monthly rate. Apples-to-oranges, and a blatant attempt to confuse some who might only take a cursory look at what you are saying.

what are you talking about? I switched from TIDAL to Qobuz a long time ago, its a better product for a few extra bucks a month. Just pointing out that prices for hi res streaming are dropping, and MQA has done little to effect that. btw - TIDAL dropped their prices again today.

2 minutes ago, saturdayboy said:

Just pointing out that prices for hi res streaming are dropping, and MQA has done little to effect that. btw - TIDAL dropped their prices again today.

Yes, Tidal lowered prices for CD quality, but kept the mQa tax on its HiFi Plus tier. CD quality is $10 per month and mQa is $20. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Yes, Tidal lowered prices for CD quality, but kept the mQa tax on its HiFi Plus tier. CD quality is $10 per month and mQa is $20. 

Hard to understand since it's mQa that is "half-fast". 🙂

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

In Germany you pay 5 Euro less per month for Qobuz in comparison to Tidal. So one can argue 5 Euros per month are the mQa tax.

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

• 5 weeks later...

""""

On 4/4/2021 at 6:39 PM, saturdayboy said:

My underlying position is that MQA, and people preferring it, is an entirely insignificant and harmless phenomenon.""

IMHO - this sums it up! Perfectly!   I may add, that I consider it also unnecessary (propery encoded FLAC is good enough) and a undesirable distraction: the time and money spend on this topic + on the relative hardware could be better used elsewhere.

Nevertheless, MQA was an interesting and ingenious attempt to find a HQ compression solution to a problem that has largely disappeared =  limited bandwith in times of ADSL.

A bit more dubious is the 'profiling' approach: it pretends to copy the basic image profiling approach into the audio domain [to reproduce a picture you need the picture+input profile of the camera and compensate for the expected limitations of the printer/paper = the output device profile]  However, we do not how the input profiles (mastering) are obtained and it has output profiles only for one small part of the output chain:    MQA only takes DACs into account with their output profile (second unfolding) and does not worry about the devices that 'make the music' (amps/headphones/loudspeakers).

Because of these omissions, I consider the MQA approach pseudo scientific  and ultimately a marketing ploy.

• 1 year later...