IGNORED

Testing MQA: Is it worse than FLAC?

On 4/2/2021 at 10:27 PM, manisandher said:

I've posted files from the same master in the past:

The downloads are still available for anyone who wants to take a listen...

Mani.

I ran some comparisons on these in the same way as the original post.

A and B are nearly identical. Differences maybe due to dithering?
Then in file C suddenly we get a lot of variation and high frequency noise again as seen in the original post. C is definitely MQA

A vs B:

image.thumb.png.4825b7be9809022d7b0bd6ab40757df5.png

A vs C:

N2bYxhaZVy.thumb.jpg.74f2f87c5a97e421e5bb168cd18f8470.jpg

B vs C:

image.thumb.png.deff0c3b903b5b79ea47cbaf4d440599.png

https://youtube.com/goldensound

Roon -> HQPlayer -> SMS200 Ultra/SPS500 -> Holo Audio May (Wildism Edition) -> Holo Audio Serene (Wildism Edition) -> Benchmark AHB2 -> Hifiman Susvara

Listening to this this morning on headphones. Started with the MQA 96khz version. Then switched over to the 44khz version. In some ways the MQA version sounded bigger, separated, more 'hifi', but I could also tell it was activating my tinnitus, the saxophone especially. The Redbook version sounds bit less detailed and closed in but also more 'natural' to me, tinnitus not activated. All I need to know. 

Screen Shot 2021-04-04 at 7.22.02 AM.png

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

2 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

With all due respect, what about them?

How many people are you talking about?

If you’re talking about a dozen guys with a Facebook group and the old guard press, that’s hardly enough people on which to base any argument. 

If you want to stick with your line of reasoning, what about the people who believe the opposite?

How do you have any idea about this? You’d not only need to talk to who provided the music to the services but also check their work. 

Again, how many people are you talking about?

Its not just him, so you could say, “ are all those people wrong and even more people who disagree with them right?”

Personal taste is great. But, MQA Ltd’s stated goal of providing record labels with the technology to replace all existing music with the MQA version means that everyone is stuck with a plain hamburger made with commodity beef. Many people prefer something better, but MQA has removed our choice. 

Removing data, adding noise, and forcing people to pay extra for it, isn’t my idea of desirable. 

Watch this video and tell me if you think MQA is a honest company. 

I never said MQA was an honest company, or that their (and the record labels’) intention weren’t evil. What they seemingly tried to accomplish has been such a dismal failure that it’s basically something to laugh at, not warn the world against. For now, streaming options are expanding, and prices are dropping for the majority of the world. I challenge you or anyone to prove me wrong on that. A tiny group of people who must have MQA might be paying more for it than they should be. Are you trying to save them from themselves?

In spite of the lack of empirical proof that it's actually improving anything, for whatever reason some people claim to like how MQA sounds. Does it distort the actual true signal? There seem to be some pretty objective evidence that you and others have presented that that is exactly what is going on. And yet, some people say they prefer it. Here is one of the many discussions that I’ve read where opinions about how MQA SOUNDS differ (not the psuedo science or evil intentions behind it).

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/what-sounds-better-tidal-mqa-or-qobuz-hires/60190/287

I like the sound of tube amps. People say it’s because how the distort and which harmonics they produce. Alright, I still prefer them. What’s so wrong about that?

The great irony of this thread is that all the anti-MQA fervor & scholarship is exactly what the MQA skeptics claim MQA to be: a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist.

11 minutes ago, saturdayboy said:

Are you trying to save them from themselves?

I would never want to do that. I’m trying to save pure PCM for myself. Some people here only have access to Tidal. Tidal recently removed tons of pure PCM albums in favor of MQA versions. This leaves consumers without a choice. Pay the MQA tax or hear one’s music sound even worse. 

Not cool in my book. 

If a Tube amp company made a deal with all the record labels that listeners need tube amps, I’d be against that tube amp company. Not because of how they sound but because it removes choice for everyone. 

Similarly, if labels mandated 32/384 WAV PCM and removed all other formats for people I’d be against it. MP3 serves a purpose and I support it’s existence. 

Perhaps Bob Stuart shouldn’t have said the quiet part out loud, when he told everyone that MQA’s goal was to enable record labels to replace all other versions of music and keep the real masters locked away. Now, it’s up to the record labels to decide what we get. The streaming services have no choice but to accept what’s delivered to them. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

9 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

Your underlying position appears to be that folks should be free to do what they want.

By this logic, shouldn't folks be free to actively oppose MQA even if this crusade is, in your belief, misguided?

My underlying position is that MQA, and people preferring it, is an entirely insignificant and harmless phenomenon. Everyone is free to oppose MQA, what it stands for and how it sounds, but they aren’t actually accomplishing anything or preventing an negative trend in streaming. MQA is a failure by itself.

16 minutes ago, saturdayboy said:

Pretty respected, including here. Why would they do that, and why aren’t you calling them out for perpetuating the lie like you are MQA inc.?

13 minutes ago, GoldenOne said:

Because they're a business. 

Because if customers are demanding something, then a manufacturer will do what drives more sales. 

See ps audio for example. They support mqa but also have a video where Paul explains he does not like mqa. 

Just because a manufacturer makes their products compatible with something it is not a statement of agreement with mqa's marketing claims. 

Yes.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

18 minutes ago, GoldenOne said:

Just because a manufacturer makes their products compatible with something it is not a statement of agreement with mqa's marketing claims.

Except for the fact that what I linked to is exactly that, dcs agreeing with MQA’s marketing claims

20 minutes ago, GoldenOne said:

Because they're a business.

So is MQA

5 hours ago, charlesphoto said:

Listening to this this morning on headphones. Started with the MQA 96khz version. Then switched over to the 44khz version. In some ways the MQA version sounded bigger, separated, more 'hifi', but I could also tell it was activating my tinnitus, the saxophone especially. The Redbook version sounds bit less detailed and closed in but also more 'natural' to me, tinnitus not activated. All I need to know. 

Screen Shot 2021-04-04 at 7.22.02 AM.png

Sorry, a higher res file compared to a 44.1. I can tell you are a MQA maven. That is a bullshit comparison. Tey a 96/24 REGULAR FLAC version then tell us what you think. 

Tinnitus is nothing to sneeze at - my wife has it and sometimes she gets doppler affects (going from ear to ear).

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

1 minute ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Perhaps you misunderstood Charles?

Maybe - fixed.👍

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590