IGNORED

Spotify at full CD resolution

MarkS

I think Spotify just announced a new tier called "HiFi" that will stream at full cd resolution.  Seems like a major announcement.

- Mark

Synology DS916+ > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > Netgear switch > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > dCS Vivaldi Upsampler (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 Dual 110 Ohm AES/EBU > dCS Vivaldi DAC (David Elrod Statement Gold power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > Absolare Passion preamp (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > VTL MB-450 III (Shunyata King Cobra CX power cords) > Nordost Valhalla 2 speaker > Kaiser Kaewero Classic /JL Audio F110 (Wireworld Platinum power cord).

Power Conditioning: Entreq Olympus Tellus grounding (AC, preamp and dac) / Shunyata Hydra Triton + Typhoon (Shunyata Anaconda ZiTron umbilical/Shunyata King Cobra CX power cord) > Furutec GTX D-Rhodium AC outlet.

38 minutes ago, MarkS said:

I think Spotify just announced a new tier called "HiFi" that will stream at full cd resolution.  Seems like a major announcement.

I cannot find anything at their website how can?

Ethernet::4x Bonn Silent Angel 8P, Afterdark Emperor Doublr  Crown Masterclock and Cybershaft 75 Ohm,Mini Circuits convertor,Uptone EtherRegen with 75Ohm. SOTM Cat CAT 7.

Audio: Auralic Vega G2.1, Cambridge Edge W, Kef Reference 3 speakers.  
Power: Farad super 3 (2x) , Keces P8 ( 2 Uptone LPS1.2 ) Afterdark 5V: 

Cables:Meicord Opal, SOTM Cat7 with filtering, Ghent Audio DC , Farad Level 2, Sharkwire speaker cable

24 minutes ago, ambre said:

I cannot find anything at their website how can?

40:17

"And for those listeners really passionate about audio quality, well, later this year we'll be launching a new subscription offering, Spotify HiFi. To tell you more I'd love to welcome two people who truly understand the art and the science of sound".

(the part after "the science of sound" is rather a waste of time :-) )

They also seem to be expanding credits like songwriter and improving linking, which seems like a Roonesque cross referencing to me. 

- Mark

Synology DS916+ > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > Netgear switch > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > dCS Vivaldi Upsampler (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 Dual 110 Ohm AES/EBU > dCS Vivaldi DAC (David Elrod Statement Gold power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > Absolare Passion preamp (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > VTL MB-450 III (Shunyata King Cobra CX power cords) > Nordost Valhalla 2 speaker > Kaiser Kaewero Classic /JL Audio F110 (Wireworld Platinum power cord).

Power Conditioning: Entreq Olympus Tellus grounding (AC, preamp and dac) / Shunyata Hydra Triton + Typhoon (Shunyata Anaconda ZiTron umbilical/Shunyata King Cobra CX power cord) > Furutec GTX D-Rhodium AC outlet.

So, and I hate to use a 3-letter word here, I wonder if it's going to be normal FLAC or similar, or MQA.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

46 minutes ago, Jud said:

So, and I hate to use a 3-letter word here, I wonder if it's going to be normal FLAC or similar, or MQA.

If it is CD quality like below then I imagine FLAC. I don't think Bob would like MQA referred to as CD quality.

I'm pretty sure he believes it is better than CD quality.

image.png.5ec5bb46e1cd80a44a9607a10829ba9f.png

Can't see what is currently being streamed by Deezer HiFi has to do with Spotify's HiFi streaming plans. However, even where a streaming service actively resists MQA it's already been proven that MQA-CDs can slip through:

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

51 minutes ago, Cebolla said:

Can't see what is currently being streamed by Deezer HiFi has to do with Spotify's HiFi streaming plans.

If both are streaming CD quality then they're streaming the same flies?

Check 2L recordings who only supply Amazon Music HD and Qobuz Studio with MQA...

Deezer CD quality is available right now to test... if somene has an MQA DAC. I would start with testing a 2L recording...

Amazon and Qobuz have no choice with 2L recordings so logic says the same would apply to Deezer now and highly likely Spotify later..

11 minutes ago, asdf1000 said:

If both are streaming CD quality then they're streaming the same flies?

Check 2L recordings who only supply Amazon Music HD and Qobuz Studio with MQA...

Deezer CD quality is available right now to test... if somene has an MQA DAC. I would start with testing a 2L recording...

Amazon and Qobuz have no choice with 2L recordings so logic says the same would apply to Deezer now and highly likely Spotify later..

2L is meaningless. It's about a millionth of a percent of the total catalog.

I think there are lots of Amazon HD, Qobuz, and Tidal users who would be happy to switch to Spotify CD quality if they get the huge catalog in CD quality and the Spotify interface.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

4 minutes ago, firedog said:

2L is meaningless. It's about a millionth of a percent of the total catalog.

I think there are lots of Amazon HD, Qobuz, and Tidal users who would be happy to switch to Spotify CD quality if they get the huge catalog in CD quality and the Spotify interface.

That's not the point of the discussion.

To have an idea if MQA CD makes it's way to Spotify, you can test 2L recordings on Deezer HiFi now...

You could test Warner but I don't know if those same Warner releases in MQA on Tidal are MQA on Amazon HD...

I do know 2L is MQA on both Amazon HD and Qobuz Studio...

Spotify's announcement didn't mention MQA, so MQA speculation seems pointless.

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

16 minutes ago, audiobomber said:

Spotify's announcement didn't mention MQA, so MQA speculation seems pointless.

Qobuz doesn't mention MQA either, yet MQA files have been found on Qobuz masquerading as regular FLAC files. Don't put anything past the record labels, they are that slimey.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

I have been anxiously waiting for this reality.  I stayed with Spotify because of their superior interface, dynamic content delivery (AI) and their connect and this is the icing!  Now I am curious to know the pricing which I would bet has to be cheaper than Tidal but more than Amazon HD maybe?

RIG:  iFi Zen Stream - Benchmark DAC3 L - LA4  AHB2 | Paradigm Sig S6 Cables:  anything available

Many posts seem to imply that Roon and Spotify cooperation is highly unlikely. Does Spotify in CD quality change that dynamic from either party's perspective? 

As a Roon user who currently doesn't use a streaming service, and leans more towards interest in Qobuz, this makes me more interested in getting Spotify thru Roon, as my partner is a diehard Spotify user who already has a Premium subscription. 

Digital Source: Synology DS415+ NAS  and Small Green Computer SonicTransporter i5 Running Roon Core > Blue Jean Cable Cat6a >TP optical converter > Sonore OpticalRendu with Sonore LPS> Curious USB > Denafrips Pontus DAC

Analog Source: Dynavector XX2 mk2> Audiomods Series 5 silver arm > Sota Nova Series VI turntable w/Condor & Roadrunner motor controller/tachometer > Nagra BPS battery powered phono stage>

Both: BAT VK51SE preamp> Krell FPB300 power amp > Sound Lab A3 ESLs > > Custom room treatment > 50 yr. old ears(left-handed)

31 minutes ago, sbank said:

Many posts seem to imply that Roon and Spotify cooperation is highly unlikely. Does Spotify in CD quality change that dynamic from either party's perspective? 

As a Roon user who currently doesn't use a streaming service, and leans more towards interest in Qobuz, this makes me more interested in getting Spotify thru Roon, as my partner is a diehard Spotify user who already has a Premium subscription. 

AFAIK, the hangup between Roon and Spotify has, till now, had nothing to do with mp3 or CD quality of the streaming. The issue is that Roon sees it's main raison d'etre as it's UI, and wants to integrate the Spotify data into the existing Roon UI (as it does with Tidal and Qobuz).

Spotify isn't willing to give up it's interface - as that's it's main attraction and it's money maker (generating more listens). Some other apps have allowed a separate Spotify interface within their app; so far Roon isn't willing to do this for Spotify. 

For them to work together, somebody has to give in. I don't think it will be Spotify - they are the big player and hold the cards.

I think it will only happen if Spotify hifi starts to attact lots of audiophiles who might otherwise be at Tidal or Qobuz, and if Roon sees this as a threat to it's existence. If Roon doesn't integrate what becomes the dominant lossless/audiophile streaming service, they will have an existential problem.

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

3 hours ago, photonman said:

I have been anxiously waiting for this reality.  I stayed with Spotify because of their superior interface, dynamic content delivery (AI) and their connect and this is the icing!  Now I am curious to know the pricing which I would bet has to be cheaper than Tidal but more than Amazon HD maybe?

I can’t see it costing more than Deezer HiFi or Qobuz which are both $14.99/month and if you pay upfront for a year Qobuz works out to $12.50/month. With Qobuz you also get higher than CD resolutions. With Deezer it’s the same CD resolution with a debatable UI/feature set. For Spotify to charge any more than either of them would be a joke even for the better feature set Spotify may have. Apple needs to step up their game now.

27 minutes ago, firedog said:

Spotify isn't willing to give up it's interface - as that's it's main attraction and it's money maker (generating more listens). Some other apps have allowed a separate Spotify interface within their app; so far Roon isn't willing to do this for Spotify. 

I'm not sure if Roon requires something more, but on linux there are some alternative clients popping up, for example recently spot and spotify-qt (see pictures below). AFAICT they are based on librespot, which apparently is tolerated by Spotify so far. A comment from two years ago:

I'm the original author of librespot, the library behind Spotifyd.

Spotify are aware of librespot and while they don't endorse it, so far they have been OK with it. On my side I've made sure not to expose features that may be controversial, such as allowing free accounts or saving unencrypted files to disk.

spot:

spot001.thumb.png.3cfd586147cbf2d7ae56d9241b61028b.png spot281.thumb.png.e1461c08c0eb2ad6425a94f49e868c51.png spot627.thumb.png.aea5d272d690c5400ed30c8a50fa949e.png

spotify qt:

spotifyqt.thumb.png.342575dba5bae5b8f902b309efd5cf09.png

25 minutes ago, danadam said:

I'm not sure if Roon requires something more, but on linux there are some alternative clients popping up, for example recently spot and spotify-qt (see pictures below). AFAICT they are based on librespot, which apparently is tolerated by Spotify so far. A comment from two years ago:

spot:

spot001.thumb.png.3cfd586147cbf2d7ae56d9241b61028b.png spot281.thumb.png.e1461c08c0eb2ad6425a94f49e868c51.png spot627.thumb.png.aea5d272d690c5400ed30c8a50fa949e.png

spotify qt:

spotifyqt.thumb.png.342575dba5bae5b8f902b309efd5cf09.png

The issue is that Roon operates with Qobuz and Tidal by getting direct access to their databases and integrating the data seamlessly intertwined with the other Roon results - as if the streaming results come from your local library. 

So Roon will probably need to change for this ever to come about.