IGNORED

Audiophiles: Dead or Dying?

GUTB

15 hours ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

Out of interest do you have figures on stereophile average system hi-fi price point? Earlier in the thread I posted what Audiophile Style members spend. At that time, two years ago, it was still Computer Audiophile so I suspect that the results were skewed downwards and not upwards. Nonetheless, the results show that 50% of members spend upwards of $20,000.

You have to go by retail cost. in the late 2000s, - average system was 20K. Might not be such a great figure, as both really expensive, and really cheap system skew the results.

Certainly prices have gone up as more manufacturers go out of business, and reduce their trickle down too. Costs go up when the parts that encompass the components become unavailable. Exceptions of course, - as items like FPGA chips in digital are "cheaper" in comparison to NOS 1962 tubes.

7 minutes ago, Albrecht said:

Agreed, - the amount of pseudo-science generated by the anti-audiophile "preachers" on this site is INSANE...

I agree.

Pseudo-science should only be used by those selling high-end equipment to audiophiles.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

6 minutes ago, Albrecht said:

Naw....

That market is already cornered by the measurers

Really? The marketing materials of high-end audio manufacturers seems to be a measurement-free zone, in my experience...

2 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

Really? The marketing materials of high-end audio manufacturers seems to be a measurement-free zone, in my experience...

Whatever... Marketing is not scientific investigation/evaluation. What kind of measurements are in Lexus marketing hyperbole...? The marketing and "selling" by the "skeptics" who "straw-man" the equipment are the REAL problem. 

1 hour ago, Albrecht said:

The marketing and "selling" by the "skeptics" who "straw-man" the equipment are the REAL problem. 

Maybe for you. My self-esteem isn't as fragile as yours appears to be. 👺

1 hour ago, kumakuma said:

Maybe for you. My self-esteem isn't as fragile as yours appears to be. 👺

Perhaps it's higher than it has a right to be though ?  😋

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

4 hours ago, Albrecht said:

You have to go by retail cost. in the late 2000s, - average system was 20K. Might not be such a great figure, as both really expensive, and really cheap system skew the results.

Certainly prices have gone up as more manufacturers go out of business, and reduce their trickle down too. Costs go up when the parts that encompass the components become unavailable. Exceptions of course, - as items like FPGA chips in digital are "cheaper" in comparison to NOS 1962 tubes.

The figures I quoted for CA (prior to AS) were retail figures and I suspect would be skewed downwards

Sound Minds Mind Sound

2 minutes ago, tapatrick said:

I enjoy reading your posts as they are always refreshing. Real intelligence unites (or tries to) as there are enough smarts around being used in the service of division.

Thanks for the kind words. I have however been guilty of divisive comments. We all get a bit passionate sometimes and it's never nice when someone wants to poo on your belief system. The thing is we choose to be here, it's not like so many other things we have no control over.

Why choose to be in a battleground. If someone chooses a Rasberry Pi over a Taiko extreme, or vice versa, who the hell should thumb their noses at the other?

Sound Minds Mind Sound

8 hours ago, tapatrick said:

Exactly - It is indeed a mystery to me why certain battles go on and get repeated endlessly in some of the threads here. Without each other there would be no discussion. Death of the audiophile? is it not in the abstraction of the other through desperation to further ones own agenda? 

I do believe that being an audiophile alone has little to do with wanting to talk about some of the audiophile subjects.  However, being an audiophile and interest in talking about it does enable some of the competency to discuss certain things.   The big problem is the good old syndrome that says that people sometimes don't understand the limits of their knowledge -- that is when there are sometimes arguments that are impossible to resolve.

33 minutes ago, John Dyson said:

I do believe that being an audiophile alone has little to do with wanting to talk about some of the audiophile subjects.  However, being an audiophile and interest in talking about it does enable some of the competency to discuss certain things.   The big problem is the good old syndrome that says that people sometimes don't understand the limits of their knowledge -- that is when there are sometimes arguments that are impossible to resolve.

22 minutes ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

The problem with that syndrome is that it always applies to somebody else😁

...in that case they would be audioheels :)

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

I guess this is all about numbers.  In my very earliest memories, many middle class families would aim to have some kind of music replay system in the home, this might be separates, a music centre, or before that the beloved Radiogram.

Today, this might be an Amazon Echo, some kind of mini / midi system or whatever.  In my experience, there were some big department stores of my childhood that sold hifi separates, that today sell sound bars, smart speakers, Bluetooth speakers and similar.

It is hard to judge how much this is a move away from audiophilia as such, many of the people buying hifi separates in the 1970's were not audiophiles, just middle class home owners who felt that they needed a respectable audio system for the home, and bought separates because it was commonly considered these were superior to a music centre or similar.

But maybe all this could interpreted as a move away from true audiophile systems towards more basic mass produced audio systems?

If so, maybe during my living memory there is perhaps a move away from audiophilia, but at the same time the world population has more than doubled.  So if the drift away from audiophilia is say 40%, the absolute total number of audiophiles is presumably actually increasing.

Just some idle thoughts from myself.  I think that the people with a better understanding of the facts would be audio manufacturers and the dealers. 

Has anyone got any actual facts?  There must be some hard data out there?

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.