IGNORED

Audiophiles: Dead or Dying?

GUTB

4 hours ago, tapatrick said:

But where are the numbers? When I was in my 20's it was a cultural phenomenon to sit around with friends listening to and sharing albums on 2 speaker systems. We sought out where the good systems were and got ourselves invited round. My daughter who is in her 20's (and her friends from what I have seen) has 1 speaker in the corner and listens to music in the background. Her generation, that I know of does not get together to sit and listen only and definitely not to stereo. Sure she has ear buds and appreciates great music from her phone, but the culture has changed as it does.

I don't think the potential number of Audiophiles has changed. It was always maybe 1 or 2% of the population. If you played your system to 100 of your daughters piers, one might appreciate it and seek to become an Audiophile. 

8 hours ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

I don't think people have fundamentally changed, technology has.

I agree with most of what you say and of course every generation listens to music through different media except that I do think technology has and does change 'people'. My point was that the culture of sitting around listening to 2 speaker systems is over if not greatly reduced and this is because of how music (and culture in general) is consumed and the channels through which it is consumed today. You seem to think this isn't true - you may be right and maybe I just don't get out enough! :) but I certainly don't look back longing for any good old days - the good days are here or they are nowhere.

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

5 hours ago, Rexp said:

I don't think the potential number of Audiophiles has changed. It was always maybe 1 or 2% of the population. If you played your system to 100 of your daughters piers, one might appreciate it and seek to become an Audiophile. 

we need a rigorous double blind test on the numbers...

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

8 hours ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

Is this system listed below "a waste" and who is to say

No way! You are definitely one of those guys to get invited round to.

I think the point was that a system of a few K is more than enough for 'commercial' quality music. I presume with your ultra system you spend as much time and effort on the quality of the recordings too?

5 hours ago, Rexp said:

We will have to agree to differ on this. In my 20's I wouldn't have needed to look for the 1 in a hundred...

12 hours ago, tapatrick said:

But where are the numbers? When I was in my 20's it was a cultural phenomenon to sit around with friends listening to and sharing albums on 2 speaker systems. We sought out where the good systems were and got ourselves invited round. 

Funny this - it points out cultural differences towards music and hifi even in the past. When I was in my twenties, I can't recall once anyone talking about or comparing hifi gear - we were all too busy making music or going to shows (we're talking 1984-1994 and admittedly my friends were the likes of Mudhoney, Soundgarden, etc). Getting together and comparing records, yes, of course, but really no considerations to how they sound - esp since most were pretty poorly recorded in the first place, so it really didn't matter. A hifi setup usually consisted of a Japanese receiver of some sort, Technics turntable (maybe a Dual or equivalent as well) and Advent or Speakerlab speakers. Louder was the key element = get the party started right! Often bought used at the local Naim dealer, Hawthorne, who are still there (bought my 160 BD from them last month). Thing is, very few of us had any disposable income so never even bothered with the rooms on the right hand side of the store where all the Naim etc gear resides. 

So in a nutshell, we cared deeply and passionately about music, but I and most of my peers gave little thought to the actual delivery of it, and I suppose this is much like the youth of today. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

1 hour ago, charlesphoto said:

Funny this - it points out cultural differences towards music and hifi even in the past. When I was in my twenties, I can't recall once anyone talking about or comparing hifi gear - we were all too busy making music or going to shows (we're talking 1984-1994 and admittedly my friends were the likes of Mudhoney, Soundgarden, etc). Getting together and comparing records, yes, of course, but really no considerations to how they sound - esp since most were pretty poorly recorded in the first place, so it really didn't matter. A hifi setup usually consisted of a Japanese receiver of some sort, Technics turntable (maybe a Dual or equivalent as well) and Advent or Speakerlab speakers. Louder was the key element = get the party started right! Often bought used at the local Naim dealer, Hawthorne, who are still there (bought my 160 BD from them last month). Thing is, very few of us had any disposable income so never even bothered with the rooms on the right hand side of the store where all the Naim etc gear resides. 

So in a nutshell, we cared deeply and passionately about music, but I and most of my peers gave little thought to the actual delivery of it, and I suppose this is much like the youth of today. 

You are right!!!   I didn't realize this, but I never had the urge to compare my equipement or talk incessantly about the characteristics of this or that.  I just wanted to buy/build the best 'toy' (reproduction device) that I could.   The joy was in selection, not so much telling everyone else about the little details.   Most of my electrical engineering friends could have made good technical conversation, or my artist type friends would listen and mention the imaging and clarity (or not) of my system, but NEVER made a big deal out of it.  A conductor type person mentioned the naturalness of the sound of my system -- but we didn't make ANY big deal out of it afterwards.

From the technial side, I was more interested in finding CD material that was good enough that it sounded like the recordings that I used to make -- but never did.

Times HAVE changed.

John

On 8/26/2020 at 9:43 AM, firedog said:

I think your statement is 100% wrong. There's quality equipment of all types in the $200-$3000 range that is great sounding and well made. Including speakers. Hell, you can get great results using a Raspberry Pi as a streamer and that's less than $100. Even $50.

I can get a much better system today for less money (inflation adjusted) than when I bought my first system in the 70's, and the first "audiophile" one in 1981.

It's true that most people don't care about quality audio- it's also true that most people never did. It was more popular to have a decent setup in the pre mp3 days, but most people did it more for status than true love of sound. I can remember lots of pretty good speakers that cost significant money placed in such a way that they couldn't sound good - for convenience and lifestyle. Some things never change.

IMO, - you need some more experience with better performing equipment.

A Razberri Pi may deliver "great results" compared to a lo-fi $300 POS Sony. But that's not the subject of discussion. The point is, is how the Razberri Pi compares to a Lumin, DCS NB, or Sig Rendu. The former does not belong in a $30,000 type retail system and will sound significantly worse. (Unless, [as several trolls have done here], samabotaged an high performing system in the name of pseudo science. 

44 minutes ago, firedog said:

MO, you need more experience listening to equipment under unsighted conditions. I bet you and many other audiophiles would fail to differentiate or pick out the the so called "lo-fi", "mid-fi", and some much more expensive pieces in many cases if you did unsighted comparisons: sources, DACs, and amps. It's easy to convince yourself you have golden ears under sighted listening conditions.

And I'm not saying everything sounds the same. I am saying that audiophiles both hear non-existent differences when using sighted listening, and also exaggerate very small differences into something that "totally changes the sound" they are hearing. That's what sighted listening does. It's been demonstrated multiple times. For whatever reason, many audiophiles are unwilling to test this for themselves. 

All of the listening sessions that Audiophile Neuroscience and several friends, including a qualified E.E. have been involved in have been under NON SIGHTED conditions.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

48 minutes ago, sandyk said:

All of the listening sessions that Audiophile Neuroscience and several friends, including a qualified E.E. have been involved in have been under NON SIGHTED conditions.

Read the Harman research. Even experienced listeners are influenced by sighted listening. Do we all agree speakers sound distinctly different? At Harman they found that even evaluation of speakers and speaker choices changed when listening was unsighted. Even with experienced trained listeners. 

Last year there was even an experiment showing that listeners reported hearing different volume levels from volume matched souces when the color associated with the volume knob in the app used was different. The red knob was associated with the highest reported volume perceived. 

So I'm not really sure what your point is. Are you trying to say biased results from sighted listening don't exist? I'm sorry, those "golden ear" audiophiles can - and do - fool themselves also. The "listening sessions" don't mean much in the face of actual resrearch and multiple demonstrations of the effect of sighted listening over decades. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

13 hours ago, tapatrick said:

I think the point was that a system of a few K is more than enough for 'commercial' quality music. I presume with your ultra system you spend as much time and effort on the quality of the recordings too?

I would say if the commercially produced music is garbage quality I wouldn't listen to it on any system other than a car radio and only if I loved the music e.g. Rolling Stones. There are a number of tracks, using the Rolling Stones as an example, that I like to listen to on a high-end system. They are far from perfect but there is enough sound quality there that really good equipment can release. For me, the better the playback system the more it gets out of the road and if there is something great on the recording it will shine through in spades

Sound Minds Mind Sound

28 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Why ? 

I neither said or implied anything like that.

You appear to be conducting a vendetta against  "golden ear" audiophiles and more expensive Audiophile products to justify your own choices, and apparently believe that non sighted listening .will show that there is very little value (if any) in paying any more for audio than your typical budget,

Very true...

And for the upteenthtime... "golden-ear" audiophiles don't exist. To assert such is a Trump-like, straw-man, lie....

3 hours ago, Albrecht said:

and although the Pi performed well, - it's not a hi-fi piece of kit that is up to those "average" performance/price level systems that constitute the typical Stereophile polled average system hi-fi price-point).

Out of interest do you have figures on stereophile average system hi-fi price point? Earlier in the thread I posted what Audiophile Style members spend. At that time, two years ago, it was still Computer Audiophile so I suspect that the results were skewed downwards and not upwards. Nonetheless, the results show that 50% of members spend upwards of $20,000.

Sound Minds Mind Sound

On 8/27/2020 at 2:29 AM, Blackmorec said:

The Rajiv thread is about streaming music data over a network. Both local and remote. 

Getting back to the topic of this thread, the reason most young people aren’t caring about Audio has to do with where they find themselves on Maslov’s hierarchy of needs. The current political and business leaders have screwed this generation of young people multiple times thanks to corrupt business practices (dishonest sub prime loans and criminally false debt ratings), offshoring jobs by the millions to increase profits for the few,  zero interest rates thanks to out of control Central Banks’ money printing and now this latest zoonotic virus plague caused (we are told) by criminally negligent food hygiene practices that were well recognised as a severe threat long before any outbreak.  Audio is something to enjoy when all your security needs are met and right now, most young people are nowhere near achieving this goal and really have very little prospect of doing so in the future. 

Essentially money is behaving just like all matter in the Universe, coalescing to form stars, planets, asteroid belts, dust clouds of potential and huge tracts of emptiness. 

Oh no, not Maslov!  The audiophile world certainly does not need any more pseudoscience.

mQa is dead!

On 8/28/2020 at 1:08 AM, ricko01 said:

... to me being a real audiophile, no matter equipment level, means not only a passion for the reproduction chain but also a devotion to carving out time to listen exclusively to the system and not as a shared task while using say social media.

The way I remember it (back in the early seventies), listening to the stereo was indeed a shared task -- the music was a backdrop to social discourse with one's pals or to set the mood for interaction with the opposite sex, and many times supplemented with drugs and liquor. The music, like air, was part of the environment and not distinct from it.

mQa is dead!