IGNORED

Audiophiles: Dead or Dying?

GUTB

3 minutes ago, John Dyson said:

Interesting fact is that there is some implication in the syndrome that those who really know what they are talking about sometimes UNDERESTIMATE their knowledge.   Geesh, I cannot remember the name of that syndrome...   I guess I don't know :-).

John

Dunning Kreuger?

And I just got the joke... I think. Still working on morning coffee.

No electron left behind.

3 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

Dunning Kreuger?

And I just got the joke... I think. Still working on morning coffee.

Bingo...   I do find the syndrome really interesting in a way.   I have seen the manifestation in my self and others, not intending to be accusatory -- just interesting.

2 hours ago, John Dyson said:

Interesting fact is that there is some implication in the syndrome that those who really know what they are talking about sometimes UNDERESTIMATE their knowledge.   Geesh, I cannot remember the name of that syndrome...   I guess I don't know :-).

John

Imposter syndrome (not to be confused with Capgras syndrome). OTH, gradual and worsening memory loss is one of the most commonly described symptoms of dementia. 🙁

mQa is dead!

1 hour ago, Albrecht said:

I am not here to attack audiophiles (on an audiophile website), - and call them stupid.....

You need to report those folks to Chris. He has zero tolerance for that kind of name calling.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

8 hours ago, John Dyson said:

Yes I agree that an underestimation of abilities can occur in bright people due to a misperception about the heightened abilities of others. This is above my pay grade and I feel sure others will correct me 😜🤣

Sound Minds Mind Sound

I don't think failing to appreciate good quality audio is an ability issue. Well, I guess you could be hard of hearing or have some neurological condition. There are people definitely more discerning in their senses than others; for example, most people who hear high-resolution music can tell it's better, but may not be able to clearly define what, specifically, is better about it.

People who deny the existence of high quality audio aren't deaf, they just have a ego / identity to protect so they don't try finding it for themselves. Take whatever low-end chip-amp, switching power, opamp consumer 10-lbs speaker trash systems they have: sit them down in front of my or any of the audiophile's systems on this forum and is he SERIOUSLY going to claim he can't immediately tell the vast superiority in sound?

13 hours ago, GUTB said:

I don't think failing to appreciate good quality audio is an ability issue. Well, I guess you could be hard of hearing or have some neurological condition. There are people definitely more discerning in their senses than others; for example, most people who hear high-resolution music can tell it's better, but may not be able to clearly define what, specifically, is better about it.

People who deny the existence of high quality audio aren't deaf, they just have a ego / identity to protect so they don't try finding it for themselves. Take whatever low-end chip-amp, switching power, opamp consumer 10-lbs speaker trash systems they have: sit them down in front of my or any of the audiophile's systems on this forum and is he SERIOUSLY going to claim he can't immediately tell the vast superiority in sound?

Sometimes the problem with being satisfied is TOO MUCH acuity and being too aware of the impairments.

John