IGNORED

Misleading Measurements

15 hours ago, fas42 said:

Which tells me a thing or two ... 😁.

First thing I would do if I visited you to listen, seriously, to your "best rig", would be to go throughout your home, and pull the plug out on every single item that wasn't actually needed to make that primary rig work - and see what that gave me ... that would give me a baseline for assessing what the potential in SQ was, 🙂.

It’s not a bad advice Frank. We tested this in in my local HIFI shop many years ago and the difference was palpable. We also moved out all other speaker from the listening room and that change was even bigger.

22 hours ago, pkane2001 said:

This forum isn’t big enough for me to describe all my equipment :)

Three systems (one is 5.1) plus a ton of DACs audio interfaces, headamps, amps, headphones.

WiFi, Ethernet and USB are all in the digital audio path between the three floors. No PC in the main listening room.

You don’t need to name them all by model just your favorite source, DAC, amp and speaker.

Favorite = best measuring (ok or sounding).

I have one or two items i could name seems only fair as the good people have asked you nicely, and to keep things even you can leave out the one you have hardwired to bypass the fuses

Reality is somewhat stranger than fiction with audio, beware those bearing audio gifts, all that glitters is usually poor sounding equipment contained within over engineered and nice looking cases with an equally impressive price tag to match.

Areospace & Audio designs with a retail outlet Musical Coherence

Just now, manisandher said:

Ooh... I used to own an Aleph 4 many moons ago. Didn't think you'd be into S-E output amps Paul. They certainly don't measure as well as P-P amps, you know? 🙂.

Mani.

Bought them when I was younger and more suggestible :) I've had the monoblocks for about 25 years, and still like them. I do have a few other amps that are sometimes swapped in, when I want better measurements :)

On 7/5/2020 at 5:48 AM, PeterSt said:

Every smallest change is audible to me and my system and none of them can be measured with known equipment (or it can't realistically be bought because it costs millions (literally)).

From another thread:

On 6/27/2020 at 3:21 AM, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

@manisandher in the Red Pill/ Blue Pill scored [p=0.01], a 99% consistency ie probability that his perception was not a product of random chance or guesswork.

Yep. The two inputs were measured as being bit-identical. There seemed to be no consistent differences in the analogue outputs (admittedly with a non-SOTA ADC it transpired)... and yet... I could hear a difference.

Is it that our threshold of audibility is below the level to which we can measure THD/SINAD, etc., or... are we simply measuring the wrong things?

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

8 minutes ago, manisandher said:

From another thread:

Yep. The two inputs were measured as being bit-identical. There seemed to be no consistent differences in the analogue outputs (admittedly with a non-SOTA ADC it transpired)... and yet... I could hear a difference.

Is it that our threshold of audibility is below the level to which we can measure THD/SINAD, etc., or... are we simply measuring the wrong things?

Mani.

Did you participate in Archimago's THD blind test? THD/SINAD are not the wrong thing to measure, they are a very simplified, average number approximating a much more complex non-linear behavior. As a first order approximation, these might be useful, but certainly not enough for a careful analysis of a device. Other measurements are required for that.

58 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

Did you participate in Archimago's THD blind test? THD/SINAD are not the wrong thing to measure, they are a very simplified, average number approximating a much more complex non-linear behavior. As a first order approximation, these might be useful, but certainly not enough for a careful analysis of a device. Other measurements are required for that.

Oversimplification seems to be quite common. The Spinorama comes to mind.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

1 minute ago, semente said:

Oversimplification seems to be quite common. The Spinorama comes to mind.

It is among those who insist on a simple yes/no answer or a single number to describe a complex behavior. Even Chris was asking for a simple pass/fail answer :)

Spinorama is actually one of the more complex subjective audio experiments I've seen. There's nothing simple in the setup, the controls, or the analysis of the results.  The outcome of the experiment was then used to construct a predictive model that tried to estimate the subjective quality of a speaker among an average group of participating individuals, done by Sean Olive. The ASR "number" was designed to approximate Olive's model, and it is an over-simplification to my mind, just like THD is. Spinorama-type studies and measurements, on the other hand, represent much more than a single number and tell a much more complete story.

20 hours ago, fas42 said:

For some bizarre reason the concept of weighting barely registers in the audio world - in many fields this is a vital component for assessing the relative importance of various factors; a brilliant number in some area is almost irrelevant, because it has a low weighting in the overall. But audio is caught up in the 'purity' of specific numbers, in themselves - no wonder people have no idea how good some component will sound; when starting from this low base in measuring technique.

That is actually a very good point I think.

It does beg a question though.  To what measurements would you allocate a high weighting?

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

48 minutes ago, Confused said:

That is actually a very good point I think.

It does beg a question though.  To what measurements would you allocate a high weighting?

One way is through a mathematical/statistical analysis of a group of testers, correlating objective results to preferences. For example, here's what Sean Olive did to allocate "weight" to different objective parameters to come up with a subjective score for loudspeakers (I mentioned this in my previous post): 

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/332210798

(the PDF linked on this page is about loudspeakers, and not headphones as the page itself incorrectly claims!)

5 hours ago, pkane2001 said:

The DAC is Holo Spring, balanced interconnects to Pass Aleph monoblocks leading to PSB Stratus Gold speakers. Room correction curve applied.

Oh dear ... the Thiels, which were a match made in heaven for the Pass, are consigned to the darker regions ... ?

4 hours ago, pkane2001 said:

As is obvious to everyone who takes subjective SQ seriously - my current budget active speakers' biggest issue, so far, is their sensitivity to the mains quality - which has been a major part of the optimisation of every rig I've had ... something which no-one ever, ever measures  ...

10 minutes ago, fas42 said:

As is obvious to everyone who takes subjective SQ seriously - my current budget active speakers' biggest issue, so far, is their sensitivity to the mains quality - which has been a major part of the optimisation of every rig I've had ... something which no-one ever, ever measures  ...

Really? Mains interference is never measured? Maybe it's not something a THD or SINAD number by itself will reveal, but certainly distortion and noise floor plots will show it.

14 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

Really? Mains interference is never measured? Maybe it's not something a THD or SINAD number by itself will reveal, but certainly distortion and noise floor plots will show it.

Of course it can be measured ... but no-one actually does it ... give me a single link, to any online document, that has a specific measure of a particular component's performance in this one thing - no, "part of the overall picture" stuff, please!