IGNORED

Misleading Measurements

3 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Of course it can be measured ... but no-one actually does it ... give me a single link, to any online document, that has a specific measure of a particular component's performance in this one thing - no, "part of the overall picture" stuff, please!

I usually measure a component with a 60Hz (regular US mains frequency) and at 70Hz. If there’s any mains dependency in the component, it will show up as a frequency difference in the spurious tones in an FFT, or a change in the noise floor.

37 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

I usually measure a component with a 60Hz (regular US mains frequency) and at 70Hz. If there’s any mains dependency in the component, it will show up as a frequency difference in the spurious tones in an FFT, or a change in the noise floor.

Which is not measuring what I'm talking about - one way, out of many possible, of determining what I consider important is to inject a sweep of frequencies, starting from the mains frequency, to the mains plug of the component while it is powered up, and monitoring what happens to the noise spectrum.

3 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Which is not measuring what I'm talking about - one way, out of many possible, of determining what I consider important is to inject a sweep of frequencies, starting from the mains frequency, to the mains plug of the component while it is powered up, and monitoring what happens to the noise spectrum.

It’s easier to just compare a component plugged into a wall outlet to one plugged into a power regenerator that has none of the junk. 

28 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

It’s easier to just compare a component plugged into a wall outlet to one plugged into a power regenerator that has none of the junk. 

And who has posted details of what they've found?

1 hour ago, pkane2001 said:

Really? Mains interference is never measured? Maybe it's not something a THD or SINAD number by itself will reveal, but certainly distortion and noise floor plots will show it.

These measurements are normally taken with the D.U.T. under isolated conditions, not as  part of a system

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

16 minutes ago, fas42 said:

And who has posted details of what they've found?

I have, and I’ve seen Amir post comparisons with a laboratory power supply with regeneration vs. just a wall outlet.

When testing one of the audiophile power supplies, I recommended to him  to use the 70Hz trick and he confirmed that the supply was leaking that frequency from its own power line.

6 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

I have, and I’ve seen Amir post comparisons with a laboratory power supply with regeneration vs. just a wall outlet.

When testing one of the audiophile power supplies, I recommended to him  to use the 70Hz trick and he confirmed that the supply was leaking that frequency from its own power line.

Any links?

1 minute ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

I don't trust Amir's measurements. They would need to be reproduced.

That’s  your prerogative, of course. Many of his measurements have been reproduced by others, including amateurs and manufacturers. While I’d certainly like to see more people posting the same measurements for verification, I’m not suspicious of his results.

11 minutes ago, fas42 said:

First thing I found was a post by Amir, where he said,

So, he has the assurance of knowing how all audio components behave, without even measuring ... 😉.

Keep looking ;) I also have one of the old PS Audio regenerators. The cool thing about it the ability to switch the mains frequency.

1 hour ago, pkane2001 said:

That’s  your prerogative, of course. Many of his measurements have been reproduced by others, including amateurs and manufacturers. While I’d certainly like to see more people posting the same measurements for verification, I’m not suspicious of his results.

and that's your prerogative but you must realize that citing his measurements may be only convincing to the disciples. If those measurements have been verified it would be useful to specify this IF your aim is to convince others. It is otherwise just noise.

Sound Minds Mind Sound

1 minute ago, pkane2001 said:

Not sure I get your point. For me, verifying measurements is part of an objective process of validating results, and not part of convincing the heathen. This is not a religious pursuit and not an act of faith, it's a simple process of confirming engineering findings.

My point is simple. If Amir's measurements are not trusted except by his disciples then the disciples are the only ones you will convince (without adding the verification)

Sound Minds Mind Sound

Just now, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

My point is simple. If Amir's measurements are not trusted except by his disciples then the disciples are the only ones you will convince (without adding the verification)

So my statement that his measurements have been verified by independent parties means that the measurements can be trusted by more than his disciples, or am I still misunderstanding?

5 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

So my statement that his measurements have been verified by independent parties means that the measurements can be trusted by more than his disciples, or am I still misunderstanding?

"his measurements" - do you mean all?

If referring to "I [you] have, and I’ve seen Amir post comparisons with a laboratory power supply with regeneration vs. just a wall outlet."

Then that is fine if you mean you have verified Amir's comparisons with a laboratory power supply with regeneration vs. just a wall outlet

Sound Minds Mind Sound