IGNORED

Misleading Measurements

Might be interesting for folks discussing this topic to read the following Wikipedia article:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Coke

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

2 hours ago, Jud said:

Might be interesting for folks discussing this topic to read the following Wikipedia article:

Was it @Summit or @semente or someone else who brought this up earlier. i didn't read the full article but the previous poster referred to the propensity to initially choose a strong quality like the increased sweetness of Pepsi is often overturned by longer exposure to the product. I think the suggestion was that even well conducted short burst ABX tests may be misleading.

Sound Minds Mind Sound

1 hour ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

Thanks, as an example of "misleading measurements" and biased reporting rendering agenda-based measurements meaningless.😃

This post is indeed a prime example of misleading measurements. You need to go to the AD5547 datasheet to see why though, the small print gives away that the two FFTs Amir places side by side are not comparable.

https://www.audio “science” review/forum/index.php?threads/review-battle-of-schiit-audio-dacs.5487/post-121858

Seems someone doesn't want a link pointing to ASR, you need to get rid of those quote marks, close up the spaces and add .com before it becomes valid.

28 minutes ago, opus101 said:

This post is indeed a prime example of misleading measurements. You need to go to the AD5547 datasheet to see why though, the small print gives away that the two FFTs Amir places side by side are not comparable.

https://www.audio “science” review/forum/index.php?threads/review-battle-of-schiit-audio-dacs.5487/post-121858

Thanks. I can see the FFT for THD of the AD DAC is the same as in the data sheet but not sure (due to lack of technical knowledge) what small print gives away that the two FFTs Amir places side by side are not comparable.

Sound Minds Mind Sound

3 hours ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

Thanks. I can see the FFT for THD of the AD DAC is the same as in the data sheet but not sure (due to lack of technical knowledge) what small print gives away that the two FFTs Amir places side by side are not comparable.

So the fact that he didn't read a small print on a data sheet proves his incompetence or that he just wasn't paying attention? Or is it that his measurements of the device show that it has a very poor linearity, high jitter and starts to clip below 0dBFS? The latter is what I got out of it. We all seem to get what we want from measurements, I guess. I get information about the measured device, you -- information about the person.

Just now, opus101 said:

I'm not sure if belief is relevant here, he's stated openly that he has a mission.

Apologies Opus101 I did not realise he had publicly stated this, nothing wrong being on a mission provided you are open and transparent with your basic fundamental principles and not swayed by various outside influences

Reality is somewhat stranger than fiction with audio, beware those bearing audio gifts, all that glitters is usually poor sounding equipment contained within over engineered and nice looking cases with an equally impressive price tag to match.

Areospace & Audio designs with a retail outlet Musical Coherence

13 minutes ago, opus101 said:

Ah that's not 'from this' - seems he brought that to the discussion prior.

Well, actually it was in response to your statement that "Amir misappropriated ADI's measurements of their DAC chip to malign Schiit", so mostly it was 'from this'. And how would you interpret the word "malign" if not as an accusation of malicious intent?

12 hours ago, Jud said:

FWIW, many years ago I took the Pepsi Challenge and it took me about three milliseconds to correctly identify Coke, which I prefer.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

19 hours ago, fas42 said:

Another interesting bundle of thoughts I just came across, when someone asked for some noise making ideas ... https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/intentionally-injecting-noise-into-supply-rails/

As if he was reading this, Amir just posted measurements of an AudioQuest powerstrip, measuring its advertised line noise filtration capabilities. Apparently it does filter above 30kHz, but leaves all of the junk in the audio band. Who knows, it may actually be useful for some audio devices that don't have good filtration at the power supply.

32 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

As if he was reading this, Amir just posted measurements of an AudioQuest powerstrip, measuring its advertised line noise filtration capabilities. Apparently it does filter above 30kHz, but leaves all of the junk in the audio band. Who knows, it may actually be useful for some audio devices that don't have good filtration at the power supply.

IME, all audio devices don't have good filtration at the power supply - that is, it's trivially easy to introduce some electrical noise making device or process into the environment, and hear the impact on the SQ ... just read the reports of companies struggling to get good sound in a show situation, and how they had to deal with the "lousy hotel power!"

27 minutes ago, Jud said:

A few years ago I conducted a little test here in the forums. One acoustic guitar (classic Gibson, big round sound hole) was playing in one channel, a very different acoustic guitar (a very old Epiphone with small f-holes like a violin) in the other. The task was to determine which guitar was playing in which channel. Self-declared objectivists were given a selection that repeated 2 seconds on and 2 seconds off for 30 seconds. A rapid comparison, as an objectivist can tell you, is best for discrimination when doing the most common form of blind testing, i.e., listening to selection A, then quickly comparing it to selection B. So that's why they got that sort of test, even though there was no sequential comparison - both guitars were playing throughout the 2 seconds, one in each channel. Self-declared subjectivists were simply given a 30-second selection, because they don't tend to be concerned about quick comparisons, the length of echoic memory, and suchlike.

Sorry, I think this type of testing is complete nonsense - of zero value, in every possible way. Yesterday, I got a result - a negative one, in fact - which to me is of vastly greater value: I played a track of a live blues performance, quite recently recorded - I have played this track close to a 100 times; and I know exactly what the sense of it can be ... it was a fail on the new digital speakers of mine - nothing was missing, all the bits were there; but the vitality, the sense of the occasion was poorly rendered - it was, boring ...

Okay, I could explain why that was so - the system hadn't warmed up enough, there was too much interference from somewhere, there was some issue that I still haven't unearthed, etc - but that's not the point; what I instantly knew at that moment was that I had a handle, in terms of some piece of music, that would tell whether the rig was firing at an acceptable level.