IGNORED

Article: Review | APL HiFi DSD-SR MK2 DAC

Chris, thank you, very nice review, loved the interview particularly.

The DAC input was DSD256 from HQPlayer, I would like to know how the DAC plays on its own without HQPlayer.

Can you please shed some light on this?

Thank you

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

Wow!  If this is matching the rest of your stable, it's a major breakthrough in price/performance on the high end.  1.5-2X better?  I bought my Yggy for $2K after you opined that it performed like a $15K DAC.  Maybe it's time for a $15K DAC?

16 minutes ago, PeterG said:

Wow!  If this is matching the rest of your stable, it's a major breakthrough in price/performance on the high end.  1.5-2X better?  I bought my Yggy for $2K after you opined that it performed like a $15K DAC.  Maybe it's time for a $15K DAC?

Hi Peter, I'm not sure where you're based, so I don't know if you have easy access to listen to one of these. APL components are truly special. As distribution increases more people will get their ears on this stuff and "see" what I'm talking about. It's interesting you mention the Yggdrasil. This is like the Yggy taken to another level.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

17 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hi Peter, I'm not sure where you're based, so I don't know if you have easy access to listen to one of these. APL components are truly special. As distribution increases more people will get their ears on this stuff and "see" what I'm talking about. It's interesting you mention the Yggdrasil. This is like the Yggy taken to another level.

Yes, that is a dilemma.  As you probably know, the website lists only the national distributor.  I'm usually in Cambridge, MA,  My local dealer is Natural Sound in Framingham, Mass. (they're great!) I was thinking of suggesting to them that they investigate.  I am in NH for the summer, and will probably pursue this in the fall.  Thanks again for the great review

On 5/29/2020 at 8:34 AM, Albrecht said:

Hiya,

I am still running that beautiful APL Denon with a digital coax input & the wonderful H-Attenuator directly into my BC power amp and I've heard nothing that is clearly better. I agree with all that you've said and found that it bettered, or I preferred in my system it to all comers: even DACs that are much more expensive would make me say, - "really, - i don't think so!"

Another great benefit that folks seem to rarely mention is the ability to compare directly and immediately digital file player audio via the digital input and CDs.

Although I've been working on the digital file player side for years, - the APL helped me immensely to compare what I was doing on the digital file player side to help me improve it, and keep me on the right track in knowing what is "right" for me, - playing back digital files. 

I have also had the great pleasure of visiting Alex numerous times and hearing vs iterations of his speakers, amplifiers and of course, - Universal players. I really miss those great chats, and Alex as a friend & teacher, - explaining to me what he was doing, and why he was doing it!

I so wish that I could move to the south of France and then zip over to Ruse and get me one of these new DACs.

(corrected Ruse)

Last year I listened to an incredible system I realized much later the dac was the flag ship APL MR . In the mix of the other familiar components APL was the only manufacturer name I didn’t recognize though I didn’t ask too many questions about the components I remember the owner briefly mentioning his APL dac was a new purchase.

We talked about music mostly however that listening experience left me mesmerized I did look into the cost of the APL MR sadly however I will definitely consider APL’s entry level dac when I’m ready to upgrade.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 5/26/2020 at 8:42 PM, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hi Matt, the DAC is silent on its own without input :~) Only joking, I know what you mean. I sent bit perfect audio via USB and via DTR connection from the DNP-SR to the DSD-SR MK2. The results with both were superb. The thing that HQPlayer gives me is choice. Endless choice really. HQP isn't for everyone and I completely understand this.

Alex has built a DAC that performs wonderfully on its own without requiring anything like HQP. 

Hello Chris,

Thank you first for all your reviews it helps a lot when thinking of a system upgrade !

After having read reviews, I am thinking of getting EMM Labs DV2 (with EMM preamp) or APL DSD MR DAC (with APL streamer and preamp).

You reviewd both of them at different times with a very positive feedback for each,

And I will listen to both of them, but at a different time and in a different place which makes the choice very difficult.

=> What would be your advice ?

=> And then I which mono amplifier would you recommend for verity audio Sarrastro speakers ?

linked to the DAC and preamp mentionned above ?

Thank you very much in advance for your answer ,

Best regards and congratulations for your publications that are awesome !

Guillaume

4 hours ago, gerbaldi said:

Hello Chris,

Thank you first for all your reviews it helps a lot when thinking of a system upgrade !

After having read reviews, I am thinking of getting EMM Labs DV2 (with EMM preamp) or APL DSD MR DAC (with APL streamer and preamp).

You reviewd both of them at different times with a very positive feedback for each,

And I will listen to both of them, but at a different time and in a different place which makes the choice very difficult.

=> What would be your advice ?

=> And then I which mono amplifier would you recommend for verity audio Sarrastro speakers ?

linked to the DAC and preamp mentionned above ?

Thank you very much in advance for your answer ,

Best regards and congratulations for your publications that are awesome !

Guillaume

Hi Guillaume, thanks for the kind words. 

These two systems are very different, but somehow get the listener to the same place. It's very likely you'll be in one camp or there other after listening to them. I don't want to sway you at all before listening because you really can't go wrong with either system.

I love the Sarrastro speakers. That ribbon tweeter is fantastic. The great thing about Sarrastro speakers is that they're easy to drive, opening up your amplification options greatly. I've hear them sound fantastic with Nagra VPA tube amps or much more powerful solid state Mbl amps. You really have tons of options with these speakers. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Hi Guillaume, 

As a manufacturer, I thought it would be appropriate to give you some additional information, aside from what Chris was already so nice to advise you in his reply.

Please take this information for what it worths to you. 

The initial review Chris was so nice to write on the DSD-MR was for its initial version - the DSD-MR MK1. 

Then the DSD-MR was redesigned to MK2 and now it is at is final version called SE - Special Edition. 

Each successive redesign of the DSD-MR brought considerable sonic improvements.

However, in the SE version, we have implemented very sophisticated technologies, previously unseen in any of our digital products. 

Based on the feedback we have received on the DSD-MR SE performance, everyone who auditioned it agrees that this our best sounding DAC ever, and by far.

All of the above said, and as Chris already suggested, it would be very nice if you consider auditioning the DSD-MR SE. 

I am sure you will enjoy the fine balance between natural musicality combined with detail and clarity that makes you want to hear more and more of your favorite recordings without being fatigued over a short period of time.

Best regards,

Alex

Alex Peychev | www.aplhifi.com