IGNORED

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN (Objective Discussion Only)

40 minutes ago, jabbr said:

The AP device is not, to my knowledge, capable of measuring Ethernet clock jitter -- can it create a 1 Gbe eye pattern?

Have you measured the jitter/eye pattern on the opticalModule? (obviously this will block common mode noise ;) ) I'm going to assume the AP is not capable of measuring this.

John's Lecroy WavePro 7300 3-GHz scope can create and show Ethernet eye patterns, though just the nature of an eye-pattern (build up of thousands of sweeps) makes me wonder if it would reveal anything useful.  But I'm not the expert on measurement...

4 hours ago, Bill_G said:

Look at the electrical characteristics instead. If you're not seeing any significant changes there, above the audible threshold of such phenomena, then it's perceptual biases causing the "differences". 

Precisely which electrical measurement characteristics do YOU think will correlate to the differences the reviewer hears between all the elements in his highly refined digital chain?  Do you believe that the “ASR verified” under $1,000 system you put together (and spoke about in another thread here) with $400 Yamaha integrated amp/streamer (a nice desktop piece though) will present music as compellingly and accurately as the one used in this review?

In one of your other posts—also in reply to a product review article on this site—you wrote:

A performance analysis with a lab grade audio analyzer showing actual differences in output, or it only happened in your brain. That'll be the only evidence anyone with a extensive science and engineering background will ever accept. Our senses are too unreliable, too easily fooled by our emotion states and perceptions, to be accepted as valid evidence. So, yes... my mind is closed to opinions and anecdotal "evidence"... 

There are other threads on this forum where you can take that debate. But it is not likely anyone reading this review is going to take your bait... :ph34r:

[EDIT: Note that I recall writing the above reply when Mr. Bill’s post was made in the EtherREGEN review thread. I guess Chris moved both posts over to this thread—which is clearly where such debate should occur if desired. B|]

1 hour ago, plissken said:

In a bit I will be posting some ADC captures of audio playing from a $400 audiophile switch, a $19.99 D-Link GO-SW-8GE, and no connectivity what so ever.

Since the white paper premise is that we are affecting the DAC analog out and we are thus capturing that output....

Everyone will be able to listen and decide when it was an Audiophile Switch, a $20 D-link, or no switch at all.

I'm up for track suggestions and if people want to make a 16/44.1 track available just PM a D/L link. This should meet 100% the definition of objective. I'll capture a screencast of it.

That's pretty funny. You do realize that your ADC (unless it is some wildly spectacular unit) is going to wipe out any differences to be heard.  How about you first use that ADC to capture audio from a $100 DAC and a $5,000 DAC and have people report on what they hear. x-D

5 hours ago, charlesphoto said:

I do know Uptone broke one of these down in researching the eR. No clue how they measure. Don't care as they improved the sound of my system.

2 hours ago, plissken said:

1st off I recommend Cisco because it's simply well built. I've yet to hear them make an audible difference in my setup. I'd rather spend $60 on a used/refurb Enterprise class edge Cisco than $60 on a new Netgear. Although I've no complaints about all the Netgear GS series I've setup. Bullet proof and reliable as I could have ever wanted.

Having nothing to do with multicast, buffers, or any protocol stuff, there are some very specific circuit design elements that made the Cisco Catalyst 2960 a "good sounding" switch.

But since the skeptics in this thread are only interested in finding the results in the "poop," I'll not speak further about the ingredients that went into cooking the "soup." 9_9

12 minutes ago, plissken said:

Alex, when you praise, or denigrate a piece of equipment you seem to toss in something about it's relative price.

On 3/31/2020 at 3:14 PM, plissken said:

Do I trust a $28,000 analyzer that's entire pedigree is analog measurement in the human hearing band, or sighted bias?

Pot, meet kettle. :P

But seriously Mark, what is it you expect to measure or record with your 15 year old EMU PCI-e sound card? The one with the ground loop picking up mouse/drive interference inside your PC tower case. 9_9