IGNORED

DIY Project High Performance Audio PC with high quality wiring

if it's on spotify you could link philips Hue lights to the music 

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

The studio was a spa like setting.
The tones in the ear phones were doing the real work. People listened to music all the time while they were having their sessions. It did not reduce the effectiveness.

they were using cheap headphones. I wonder how well we could blow our minds with the good headphones that we have. Ha ha

Feed the tones in with your favorite music and be guaranteed an otherworldly experience.

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

http://jplay.eu/forum/index.php?/topic/4350-win10-pe-as-audio-os/

Over time I have observed that the audio quality of the PC is related to the number of processes that run on it and to the latency.

http://jplay.eu/forum/index.php?/topic/4350-win10-pe-as-audio-os/?p=57268

I have disabled all network services, and now 20 base processes run, 19 excluding taskmgr.exe.
The sound has improved a lot, it is more precise, with more relief, and it is more focused. The timbral is very real.
Very grateful to all the suggestions of this forum

http://jplay.eu/forum/index.php?/topic/4350-win10-pe-as-audio-os/?p=57295

Now I have a very clean and detailed sound, with a three-dimensional soundstage and very well focused vocals and instruments.
It is much better than with Server Core 2019 loaded in RAM.

If we weren't interested in music streaming services, than it should be hard to beat something like that.

Even though we're going completely offline for the best SQ available, we could still keep our (relatively expensive) network switches for improving USB outputs with either Startech USB2G4LEXT2 or Icron Ranger 2304GE-LAN as follows

https://www.usaudiomart.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1172

https://www.usaudiomart.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1288

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/usb-strikes-back-watch-out-aoip-usb-ethernet-chain-beats-all-at-least-for-me.829639/

And I'd like to give some credits to @Nenon here since his post on WBF really played an important role

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/taiko-audio-sgm-extreme-the-crème-de-la-crème.27433/page-206#post-655430

What if I disable all network cards in Windows, so the OS cannot perform any network activity? And what if I use HQplayer with no oversampling and connect via KVM to control the software. Well, this my friends was one of the biggest improvements on my DIY server.

Even though he's joining that particular family mentioned above while his plan to publish a guide for tweaking Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2019 etc. might be put on hold indefinitely, I'm still very grateful that he's been sharing other findings with all of us

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/58164-building-a-diy-music-server/page/52/#comment-1097171

On 12/19/2020 at 1:15 AM, Nenon said:

You should try Windows LTSC and ProcessLasso. 

I will be publishing a guide for tweaking Windows for this motherboard sometime next year. Planning to share everything I've learned since April. I am also working with Emile from Taiko on testing some of his technology that will most likely treacle down to the DIY market sometime next year. This coming year will be very exciting for DIY. 

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/58164-building-a-diy-music-server/page/60/#comment-1101837

On 1/12/2021 at 2:49 AM, Nenon said:

I wish I could do that, but I can't find a way to do it legally. The current plan is to provide:

a. Instructions on how to obtain Windows LTSC. Someone else is working on that.

b. A configuration file for Ntlite to remove a bunch of components.

c. Some scripts that you can run to optimize Windows.

d. Some additional configurations.

e. A Process Lasso baseline config. 

That should do as a start. After that I expect people to tell me how to improve my server :). 

So here's our chance to create something truly special because IMHO either Win10 PE or Win11 PE (especially if we're preventing all network services to be started in the first place) could very have the potential to beat a stripped-down version of LTSC.

BTW, I posted something about Intel AMT / vPro below (VNC Server is ALWAYS on even if all network cards were disabled by the operating system) and it could be relevant for Alder Lake

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/30376-a-novel-way-to-massively-improve-the-sq-of-computer-audio-streaming/page/657/#comment-1054055

Intel roadmap leak shows Alder Lake vPro arriving in 1Q22

https://hexus.net/tech/news/cpu/148112-intel-roadmap-leak-shows-alder-lake-vpro-arriving-1q22/

14 hours ago, seeteeyou said:

I have disabled all network services, and now 20 base processes run, 19 excluding taskmgr.exe.
The sound has improved a lot, it is more precise, with more relief, and it is more focused.

It took me a long time to be satisfied with my network. It depends on how a network is set up. And what hardware it uses. My recommendations:

- Use the best Ethernet card with the lowest latencies and jitter such as Solarflare X2522.
- Use fiber optics for galvanic isolation.
- Use the best clock on the switch with the lowest phase noise such as Afterdark Emperor Gieseman EVA Phase Noise @ 10Hz -145 dBc / Hz or Mutec REF10.
- Use NAA (Network Audio Adapter) from HQPlayer.
- Configure an undisturbed audiophile network with managed switches like Buffalo BS-GS2016 with MAC address filtering, VLAN and QoS.
- Administrate Ethernet in the BIOS and operating system with maximum bandwidth and low buffer for lowest latencies and jitter.

- Use a very good linear power supply with low ripple noise.

That requires some knowledge and effort. Since I've implemented that, I can even leave the remote control open without any loss of sound. Ethernet sounds better than having the music files directly on the Audio PC. 😉

@StreamFidelity Did you try Optane or the femto NVME SSD? In my current setup (Daphile) much of the network optimization cannot be touched but I somehow think all settings are optimized for audio already, streaming sounds great but playing files from the Femto NVME (first converting them from Flac into WAV) clearly have the advantage.

54 minutes ago, MarcelNL said:

Did you try Optane

I use Intel Optane Memory M10 M.2 2280 - 32GB with a very low read access latency of 7 µs.

57 minutes ago, MarcelNL said:

first converting them from Flac into WAV

For me, WAV is also the best format for local files. It saves the CPU from unpacking as with FLAC.

Still, my network optimization always wins. It may be because computers are based on reading and writing data. When the Audio PC no longer has to search for the files on the hard drive itself, but gets the music files clocked with the highest quality and delivered with the lowest latencies and jitter.

Different priorities in reading and writing data do not conflict with one another. Upsampling and rendering is smooth and efficient.

1 hour ago, MarcelNL said:

streaming sounds great but playing files from the Femto NVME ... clearly have the advantage.

I am happy for you that you have found this way to the highest musical enjoyment.

I am happy that it no longer matters to me whether the files come from the NAS or from Qobuz and I enjoy the highest quality.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2021 at 6:59 PM, StreamFidelity said:

It took me a long time to be satisfied with my network. It depends on how a network is set up. And what hardware it uses. My recommendations:

- Use the best Ethernet card with the lowest latencies and jitter such as Solarflare X2522.
- Use fiber optics for galvanic isolation.
- Use the best clock on the switch with the lowest phase noise such as Afterdark Emperor Gieseman EVA Phase Noise @ 10Hz -145 dBc / Hz or Mutec REF10.
- Use NAA (Network Audio Adapter) from HQPlayer.
- Configure an undisturbed audiophile network with managed switches like Buffalo BS-GS2016 with MAC address filtering, VLAN and QoS.
- Administrate Ethernet in the BIOS and operating system with maximum bandwidth and low buffer for lowest latencies and jitter.

- Use a very good linear power supply with low ripple noise.

That requires some knowledge and effort. Since I've implemented that, I can even leave the remote control open without any loss of sound. Ethernet sounds better than having the music files directly on the Audio PC. 😉

By necessity I had to use a separate subnet for the audio path. The result was an improvement in the reduction of noise, just using bog standard parts like an unused for years Apple extreme router. 

So ethernet audio is limited to the router, JCAT NET femto, lumin u1. I also find minimserver to be more or less inactive when playing, might post the activity. 

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

6 hours ago, luisma said:

Beautiful and thank you for reporting back, the only conflict I have is why and how could you made it passive?

Thank you very much first.

Fans or no fans are a concern for a lot of people. Here is my point of view.

I basically don't want any moving parts in my electronic devices. What doesn't move can't vibrate either. Lots of people spend a lot of money on anti-vibration platforms and device feet for good reason. That shouldn't apply to the audio computer of all things?

I had installed a 140mm case fan in an audio PC in the Streacom FC9, because the passive cooling for the Intel i9-9900K was not sufficient. Inaudible at 200rpm. Vibrations were mitigated by a rubber suspension.

36625971hg.jpeg

Later I installed a SOtM fan filter because the PWM control caused electronic interference. I wasn't really happy with it. 

36625969aj.jpeg

Some place fans outside the device and cool from the outside. This avoids electronic interference, but the cooling is very inefficient. In addition, there is the development of dust. Where nothing moves, no dust can be raised. In the extreme case it looks like this. 😂

015-1.jpg

Source: https://www.igorslab.de/15-dinge-die-man-besser-lassen-sollte/15/

With all activated cores (8 P-Cores 4.2GHz + 8 E-Cores 3.6GHz) the Intel i9-12900K CPU did not get warmer than 80 °C. In current operation with 8 P-Cores 4.0GHz and AVX512, the temperature is approx. 60 °C. Passive cooling can work very well.

9 hours ago, StreamFidelity said:

Passive cooling can work very well.

Thank you, that's what I wanted to know, incredible that this CPU with the highest performance doesn't get as hot as others, however I read the performance TDP could be 180W this means that "it works very well" on a passive chassis because it is not under high load

My questions are because I'm considering to put this inside my HDPlex chassis which is passive of course

12 hours ago, StreamFidelity said:

Thank you very much first.

Fans or no fans are a concern for a lot of people. Here is my point of view.

I basically don't want any moving parts in my electronic devices. What doesn't move can't vibrate either. Lots of people spend a lot of money on anti-vibration platforms and device feet for good reason. That shouldn't apply to the audio computer of all things?

I had installed a 140mm case fan in an audio PC in the Streacom FC9, because the passive cooling for the Intel i9-9900K was not sufficient. Inaudible at 200rpm. Vibrations were mitigated by a rubber suspension.

36625971hg.jpeg

Later I installed a SOtM fan filter because the PWM control caused electronic interference. I wasn't really happy with it. 

36625969aj.jpeg

Some place fans outside the device and cool from the outside. This avoids electronic interference, but the cooling is very inefficient. In addition, there is the development of dust. Where nothing moves, no dust can be raised. In the extreme case it looks like this. 😂

015-1.jpg

Source: https://www.igorslab.de/15-dinge-die-man-besser-lassen-sollte/15/

With all activated cores (8 P-Cores 4.2GHz + 8 E-Cores 3.6GHz) the Intel i9-12900K CPU did not get warmer than 80 °C. In current operation with 8 P-Cores 4.0GHz and AVX512, the temperature is approx. 60 °C. Passive cooling can work very well.

Under what kind of load though?

No electron left behind.

7 hours ago, luisma said:

Thank you, that's what I wanted to know, incredible that this CPU with the highest performance doesn't get as hot as others, however I read the performance TDP could be 180W this means that "it works very well" on a passive chassis because it is not under high load

My questions are because I'm considering to put this inside my HDPlex chassis which is passive of course

From what I saw, he is running HQPlayer with the filter and modulator combination doesn't required more than 40W CPU Total package power on the 12900k (enable only 8 power cores and max CPU clock max at 4GHz).

I also running my i7-9700 on passive HDPlex H3V3 at about the same CPU total package power (32-38W). Below 40W of CPU total package power load, there is no heat issue for the H3V3 (CPU temp below 70oC). Therefore, I think your previous gen H5 case should have no issue to handle similar load as well.

RoonROCK: NUC8i5 Akasa case > HQPlayer OS in HDPlex H3V3 case - i7-14700K > Oratek TOFU Raspberry Pi CM4  - Jussi's NAA OS > Holo Spring 3 L2 DAC with Preamp > DIY EL84PP amp > Snell Type E/III speakers

Ubiquiti EdgerouterX SFP / Sonore Optical Module / Linear Power Supply for all

6 hours ago, chipvn said:

From what I saw, he is running HQPlayer with the filter and modulator combination doesn't required more than 40W CPU Total package power on the 12900k (enable only 8 power cores and max CPU clock max at 4GHz).

Thats correct 👍

+ enable AVX512!

On 12/1/2021 at 6:49 PM, StreamFidelity said:

44.1kHz to DSD256x48 / ASDM7ECv2

42549417ge.png

96kHz to DSD256x48 / ASDM7ECv2

42549418zh.png

My final assessment of the sound quality (SQ)

I notice a more precise, punchier bass and "springy" transients in percussion and guitar sounds. But maybe it's just me, because my body moves to the rhythm of the music the whole time. 😂 I am very enthusiastic.

Hello, not sure this is the right place to post but i assume all the WW experts are there :-)

I'm testing a Taiko DC/ATX module and during the test i'm trying to power the CPU of the Motherboard with an external Power Supply in 12V.

The Motherboard used is a Supermicro X11SCH-F with a Xeon E2136 CPU. Everythig works fine under Windows 2022 Server. When i try to use the 8pin CPU connector i can see that there is no consumption or power pulled through this connector. Removing the connector and just keeping the 24pins plugged does not change anything, the MB is powering up and everything is working fine.  I went through the manual of the MB in order to see if i have something to do to enable the usage of the 8 pins connector but found nothing. I wrote to supermicro waiting an answer but in meantime, would like to know if some of you experienced such situation where the 8pin cpu is not pulling any power from the PSU and it can work with the 24pins only ?

Thanks a lot for your support. 

The manual is one of the most accurate I've ever read. 👍 It says on page 43:

The primary 24-pin power supply connector (JPWR1) meets the ATX SSI EPS 12V specification. An 8-pin (JPWR2) processor power connector must also be connected to your power supply.

I am assuming that the Taiko DC-ATX converter connected both 24 pin ATX (JPWR1) and 8 pin to the CPU (JPWR2)?

29 minutes ago, Patatorz said:

I'm testing a Taiko DC/ATX module and during the test i'm trying to power the CPU of the Motherboard with an external Power Supply in 12V.

You have now tried to supply the 8 PIN CPU connection with another LPS. That does not work. It has to come from the same LPS that is used to supply the Taiko DC-ATX converter.

In my case I am using Keces P28. 24V / 4A go to the Taiko DC-ATX converter and 2 x 8 PIN CPU are supplied directly from the same Keces P28 via 12V / 10A and 12V / 6A.

Thanks for your feedback. Yes i can power the JPWR1 and JPWR2 from the Taiko. But as i heard it could make sense from SQ stand point to power the JPWR2 with another 12V PSU i tried and saw that there is no power pulled from the other PSU supplying 12V to the CPU. If i plug only the 24pins from the taiko on the MB, it works also fine, so seems no need to plug the JPWR2 which seems strange to me.

What you mean is that to have the 12v/8pin running, it should come from the same PSU and not from 2 separate : right ? How is it possible as i think i read that some people are feeding the 12V/8pins with another PSU than for the Taiko DC/ATX ? Is it linked to this specific MB ?

Thanks

1 hour ago, Patatorz said:

What you mean is that to have the 12v/8pin running, it should come from the same PSU and not from 2 separate : right ?

Yes

1 hour ago, Patatorz said:

How is it possible as i think i read that some people are feeding the 12V/8pins with another PSU than for the Taiko DC/ATX ?

Unlikely. It never worked for me with ASUS boards.

Thanks a lot @Nenon for your very useful feedback to better understand.

My ambition is to achieve the best SQ. I’m still using the 24 and 8pins of the taiko to feed the MB. Today I feed the taiko with a ferrum hypsos and the SQ is tremendous vs a HDPlex 500w Atx and a previous HDPlex or P8 19v and a dC/atx of HDPlex.

I’m discussing right now with Pachanko for a 30v non regulated and I would receive in the coming weeks a 30v from Reddo audio. Let’s see but good to know there is still space to improve.

thanks again for all the precious information. 

6 minutes ago, Patatorz said:

I’m discussing right now with Pachanko for a 30v non regulated and I would receive in the coming weeks a 30v from Reddo audio. Let’s see but good to know there is still space to improve.

Let us know how these perform. It will be good to have more alternatives.

Tell them that super low output impedance is a key. Even sub mOhm improvements are audible from my experience with this. 

Industry disclosure: 

Dealer for: Taiko Audio, Aries Cerat, Audio Mirror, Sean Jacobs

https://chicagohifi.com 

On 12/4/2021 at 9:18 PM, Patatorz said:

Thanks a lot @Nenon for your very useful feedback to better understand.

My ambition is to achieve the best SQ. I’m still using the 24 and 8pins of the taiko to feed the MB. Today I feed the taiko with a ferrum hypsos and the SQ is tremendous vs a HDPlex 500w Atx and a previous HDPlex or P8 19v and a dC/atx of HDPlex.

thanks again for all the precious information. 

Hey patatorz,

I highly recommend sound analogue ulps,amazing improvements over keces p8 19 v.

The level of transparency is so high that from recording to recording you can hear things details you wouldnt be able to hear before.

3d and seperation is second to none.

Wich lps you recommend for jcat xe usb and net?