IGNORED

DIY Project High Performance Audio PC with high quality wiring

On 1/23/2021 at 5:28 PM, StreamFidelity said:

- Receive Side Scaling (RSS)
RSS is enabled by default for best networking performance. It is best to set the maximum number of RSS queues to be equal to the maximum number of RSS CPUs.

I did it, without having read this post, for my 2 intel cards integrated in my Gigabyte motherboard.
On the other hand, I chose to limit to 1 RSS queue on the entry card and 2 queues that which goes to the NAA player.
HQPlayer uses core 0 and 3 (ASDM7EC). Only core 1/2 and 4/5 handle network interrupts.
Choice validate after LatencyMon tests

Name                                            : Ethernet
InterfaceDescription                            : Intel(R) Ethern
Enabled                                         : True
NumberOfReceiveQueues                           : 1
Profile                                         : Conservative
BaseProcessor: [Group:Number]                   : 0:2
MaxProcessor: [Group:Number]                    : 0:2
MaxProcessors                                   : 1
RssProcessorArray: [Group:Number/NUMA Distance] : 0:2/0

Name                                            : USBridge
InterfaceDescription                            : Intel(R) I211 G
Enabled                                         : True
NumberOfReceiveQueues                           : 2
Profile                                         : Conservative
BaseProcessor: [Group:Number]                   : 0:4
MaxProcessor: [Group:Number]                    : 0:5
MaxProcessors                                   : 2
RssProcessorArray: [Group:Number/NUMA Distance] : 0:4/0  0:5/0

ROON + HQP / Hdplex H3-i5 + 400ATX >Gustard A26 (NAA twk) > SQM > Benchmark AHB2 / Recital Audio Illumine HEFA

13 hours ago, Zauurx said:

On the other hand, I chose to limit to 1 RSS queue on the entry card and 2 queues that which goes to the NAA player.

Interesting. This is somewhat in line with Taiko Audio's philosophy of assigning precisely defined tasks to specific cores. Did you do it with Process Lasso?

On 3/10/2021 at 8:27 AM, StreamFidelity said:

Interesting. This is somewhat in line with Taiko Audio's philosophy of assigning precisely defined tasks to specific cores. Did you do it with Process Lasso?

Yes with ProcessLasso but you can do almost the same with taskmanager.

And I use other utilities ..
Have you noticed how the core 0 is always more in demand ?

ROON + HQP / Hdplex H3-i5 + 400ATX >Gustard A26 (NAA twk) > SQM > Benchmark AHB2 / Recital Audio Illumine HEFA

23 hours ago, Zauurx said:

Have you noticed how the core 0 is always more in demand ?

In fact, Core 0 is the busiest. The settings in the Task Manager are only of a temporary nature, as they have to be set again after each restart.

For the Solarflare SFN8522 NIC the manual says:

"RSS Base Processor
For a Solarflare network adapter, the RSS base processor is 0 (zero), which means it starts processing on CPU core 0 which is also the default processor for all other general Windows processes and will likely be the default for all other network adapters in the server.
To avoid this unnecessary contention, set the adapter RSS base processor to another processor on the NUMA node the Solarflare adapter is assigned to."

In HWMonitor it was easy to see that from Core 6 onwards there was a lower load. I set this value. It seems to be working. 👍

40733075ph.png

• 4 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, Topk said:

So you left the clear thick lid on in the end? Looks nice!

Thank you. Yes, the acrylic glass with a thickness of 10mm breaks the light very nicely.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/25/2021 at 11:29 AM, StreamFidelity said:

About the sound: Like the SFN8522 NIC, the sound is three-dimensional, more details can be heard. No sharpness and a deeply graduated bass. Of all these good features, with the X2522 Nic improves a bit. There are no worlds, but if you want the best ... 👍

Excellent report. Is there a specific license we should look for as well?

Thanks,

-Rob

On 4/25/2021 at 5:29 PM, StreamFidelity said:

Another report for the latency minimizer. 😁

A tip from this forum brought me to the Solarflare XtremeScale X2522 NIC. The front looks almost like the Solarflare SFN8522 NIC.

41059739bx.jpeg

The back then shows a few more chips.

41059740yp.jpeg

As usual, the firmware was not up to date. I did that right away.

41059741pp.jpeg

The BIOS menu was a surprise. The firmware can be set according to the purpose. I chose Ultra low latency.

41059738na.png

The connection to the NAS and T + A NAA was established quickly. Unfortunately, the joy was short-lived. The card switched itself off after about 5 minutes. Unfortunately a heat problem. Despite the fan-optimized acrylic glass cover, operation is only possible without a cover. So it has been running stable for days now.

About the sound: Like the SFN8522 NIC, the sound is three-dimensional, more details can be heard. No sharpness and a deeply graduated bass. Of all these good features, with the X2522 Nic improves a bit. There are no worlds, but if you want the best ... 👍

Is the X2522 more or less warm/analogue sounding compared to SFN8522?

Also can you confirm X2522 can’t be used with acrylic lid with holes? That could be a deal breaker for many. Thanks!

Great find on those heatsinks! I started looking but did not yet get to ALi ....

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

8 hours ago, StreamFidelity said:

And the Taiko Audio 500W DC DC-ATX converter shines with a ripple noise of 0.10mV (millivolt).

Hi @StreamFidelity,

That is an interesting writeup thanks for posting. Its sound as thought the DC ATX is working very well in your system.

The measurement you quoted is interesting, did you make it directly yourself ? If so I wonder if you can say what the conditions of the measurement were ? eg with a DVM an oscilloscope or analyser,  and what were the load conditions for the measurement ?

Thanks,

OAudio.

OAudio Ltd.

OAudio Supreme - music server.

OAudio RealStream - digital audio components.

1 hour ago, OAudio said:

The measurement you quoted is interesting, did you make it directly yourself ?

No - You can find the measured values at Taiko Audio 😉

Taiko Audio 500W DC DC-ATX converter (specification sheet)