IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

Is there at the www. some there have tested and compared the pink faun clock with other  clocks? 

An cheaper and maybe nearly as good or maybe better alternative I don’t know... is  Andrea Mori’s GB at diyaudio. He has a 25mhz AT-Cut crystal there is suitable for the old oscillator versions TWTMC-C and TWTMC-P and also for the new Pierce TWTMC-PXO PCB board. 

GB link: https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group-buys/291925-tempered-master-clock-buy.html 

On 9/16/2020 at 4:11 PM, Nenon said:

You can download HQPlayer 4 Desktop and Network Audio Daemon for Linux too.

I prefered Stylus/Euphony on Linux, though. 

To confirm, when you compared Stylus/Euphony on Linux, were you making this comparison on the dual-CPU Xeon build?

Cheers,

14 minutes ago, Nenon said:

No. That was with my previous builds that were tweaked for use with Euphony. 

Good data point nonetheless. Many thanks. I will be demoing Euphony Stylus once my LPSU arrives.

GentooPlayer sounds really really good though. Highly recommended for those who want a stable and free OS which allows for ramroot, mapping services to cores (only 1 CPU supported at this time), configuration of IRQs,cpu core isolation and various useful services such as HQPlayer Embedded, MPD, BubbleUPNP, etc. Various kernel types as well.

Once my build is up to par and I knock out some projects I will feel comfortable enough to share it here ;)

21 hours ago, kelvinwsy said:

Gigabyte Aorus Z490 Ultra with intel 10700k in a Lian Li O11Dynamic Tempered Glass Case with nice LED Accented Fans in Push Pull setup with a Cooler Master MK360 All in One Cooler ...

Looks like you went all out.  I wanted to keep mine at the mATX and 65W level for the fanless Streacom FC9 case, which I much prefer over the HDPlex (the one exception being the solid copper heatsink riser in the HDPlex kit).

Passively cooled case build will be my next project! I always worry about Not just CPU but also VRM cooling. My previous 6700k lenovo rig had vrm overtemp which  led to CPU Voltage instability and Overclocking cutback! HQplayer asdme7 was stuttering!!

With this new build using a 360mm AIO and most fans separately on a NZXT Sentry 3 fan controller with its own ATX psu.. I hv almost unlimited fan speed control. Sometimes I can even switch off the room AC to just fan mode w/o any fear of overtemp

I am currently using a HDPLEX 400W DC-ATX most recent version but have a HDPLEX 800W DC-ATX arriving shortly. I see this unit has 2 x 6pin, DC power inputs.

I am intending to power it with my PH SR7 turbo ( 19v, 10amp)  but only using one of the 6 pin inputs, will this be an ok implementation?  I am only using the ATX for the mother board, the CPU will be powered directly from the 12v 12amp second rail from the SR7.

24 minutes ago, dctom said:

I am currently using a HDPLEX 400W DC-ATX most recent version but have a HDPLEX 800W DC-ATX arriving shortly. I see this unit has 2 x 6pin, DC power inputs.

I am intending to power it with my PH SR7 turbo ( 19v, 10amp)  but only using one of the 6 pin inputs, will this be an ok implementation?  I am only using the ATX for the mother board, the CPU will be powered directly from the 12v 12amp second rail from the SR7.

Yes. Use DC Input 1 in this case.

HDPLEX_800W.DC-ATX.Diagram.thumb.png.c73cd221222a902582ff89acefc62fd2.png

Industry disclosure: 

Dealer for: Taiko Audio, Aries Cerat, Audio Mirror, Sean Jacobs

https://chicagohifi.com 

On 9/18/2020 at 5:34 PM, kelvinwsy said:

Passively cooled case build will be my next project! I always worry about Not just CPU but also VRM cooling.

Yes, particularly with the new mobos.  I've only built with the T-suffixed, 35W Core processors before, and thermals weren't a problem, even when substituting graphite pads for thermal paste.  This is going to be a bit of an experiment this time, but the cases have adequate ratings.

On 9/18/2020 at 6:14 PM, bit01 said:

I have a Gigabyte Z490 AORUS Master with an i9-10900K recently installed in an HDPLEX H5 2nd Gen. fanless case. The BIOS reports CPU at 75 C during boot!. Audiolinux reports CPU core temps of 32-35 C when playing music.

This MOBO has a bottom plate- it needs taller standoffs (10mm) to fit the back cover of the H5. This might cause other assembly issues if more accesories are fitted but I have not studied or required any as yet.

I am using the HDPLEX 800W DC-ATX converter fed by a PHD SR7/T 19VDC rail. This DC-ATX can fit the 2 pre-tapped holes but needs another hole drilled for the 3rd screw. The 4th screw locates in a cooling slot. When mounted this way, it is a bit of a tight fit as can be seen in the pic and may interfere with the MOBO in some cases- mine just makes it, but as can be seen in the pic the ATX cable clips are too close together. If I keep it in this case then I will drill holes for it to space it out a bit.

It is early days (some tweaking to do) but I am already getting a more hefty dynamic sound compared to the Intel NUC7I7DNH1E.

Very ambitious!  Please keep us posted.

PS - yes, I noted the HDPlex bottom plate doesn't have a flush surface for adherence - lots of fun when the CPU mount pushes off the bottom plate after everything else is in :(

On 9/18/2020 at 6:14 PM, bit01 said:

I have a Gigabyte Z490 AORUS Master with an i9-10900K recently installed in an HDPLEX H5 2nd Gen. fanless case. The BIOS reports CPU at 75 C during boot!. Audiolinux reports CPU core temps of 32-35 C when playing music.

bit01,

What are you using to supply the DC?

18 minutes ago, dctom said:

Well, after initially following the novel way to massively improve thread (austin pop, romaz, et al) and latterly this one, started by Nenon,  it feels like  my two box server has reached something of a destination. Now after around 8 months of development, following all the advice and suggestions, I am getting terrific results - so I owe a lot of thanks to all the many contributors. The build is not as extreme as some of the ones out there but I have managed to include many of the key "discoveries".

The sound quality far outstrips my previous digital source (playback designs MPS5) whether playing CDs or streaming. 

The build list

server

HDplex  H5 v2 case

i7-9700T 35w CPU

AudioLinux running from ram

HQplayer upsampling to 4 x DSD or 384k PCM

ASrock Z390 ITX phantom gaming MB

16 Gg Apacer ram

HDplex 800w ATX

OS on SSD (switched out after start up)

2Tb NVMe library storage

Paul Hynes dual rail SR7 turbo, internal silver wired, 12v 12amp(EPS)/19v 10amp (ATX) PS 

Mundorf silver gold internal ATX cable

PH silver DC cables ATX and EPS

Via blue ethernet cables, Swenson style shield

Buffalo BS GS2024  mundorf and audio note filter caps on DC input,  HDplex 200w PS

EtherRegen powered by P Hynes SR4

Endpoint

NUC i7 7DNBE

HQP naa from usb stick

8Gb apacer ram

Sean Jacobs DC3 19v 5amp PS

Star quad Dc cable

Sablon usb lead

Lampizator Golden Gate  DAC(modified)

It has taken a while to get all the components together, waiting for SR7 etc. The most recent arrival is the HDplex 800w which replaces a HDplex400w ATX. This seems to be making a significant difference from cold, no burn in. My thinking here is the 800w is enabling the SR7 to shine - the 400w was somehow limiting it, even though it is the recent version.

One of the benchmarks I use is my very capable vinyl system. I noticed other posters in the thread have made similar comparisons. Digital and analogue are now very close, again as others have found the recording is often the deciding factor. 

I have reduced my collection of LPs to around 2k the majority are from the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, mixed genres. Generally, a high rez digital rock or classical version will sound better. Bog standard jazz LPs eg; Pablo or Blue Note sound better than the CD ripped version. Really well mastered and pressed "audiophile" albums can sound excellent and better digital. I have around 80 or 90 of these  however I would not put them all in the excellent category.  I don't have a great number of duplicate analogue/digital albums but where I have been able to make direct comparisons it is often hard to choose between the two. For instance I recently purchased the new Neil Young album Homegrown which is a fully analogue vinyl recording particularly well produced. The LP does  sound better than the digital but it is close.

Having narrowed or bettered the vinyl/digital gap so much, for me, is a great achievement having been a dyed in the wool vinylista. I don't want to think about the relative cost, the digital set up comes to just over a third of the vinyl system! I guess others have come to the same sort of conclusion when comparing.

SYSTEM CONNECTION + bs gs + z390 etherRegen.jpg

Z390.jpg

Z390b.jpg

Nice post! Can I ask what copper did you use to get extra cooling from left side heatsink? 

24 minutes ago, ASRMichael said:

Nice post! Can I ask what copper did you use to get extra cooling from left side heatsink? 

Great build.

Have you experimented with server straight to the dac?

And have you experimented with the server network to ER (A) instead of the buffalo?

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2