IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

For the 2 Buffalows with Pink Faun clocks I am using for EACH switch :

Uptone lps1 - 7v out, followed by double regulated mpaudio SLS-Hpuln with 10x  LT 3045  for the clocks.

Vinnie Rossi mini supercap supplys with 3A and 5v out to the boards .

For 2 other Buffalows I use

Vinnie Rossi mini supercap supplys with 3A + 5V and

Vinnie Rossi mini supercap supply with 3A + 12 v .

I know it sounds crazy but planning to update this with Sean Jolacobs DC4 multirail. Just need little more time to collect the funds for that.

You cant go wrong with top supplys.

Best

Chris

2 minutes ago, cool_chris said:

For the 2 Buffalows with Pink Faun clocks I am using for EACH switch :

Uptone lps1 - 7v out, followed by double regulated mpaudio SLS-Hpuln with 10x  LT 3045  for the clocks.

Vinnie Rossi mini supercap supplys with 3A and 5v out to the boards .

For 2 other Buffalows I use

Vinnie Rossi mini supercap supplys with 3A + 5V and

Vinnie Rossi mini supercap supply with 3A + 12 v .

I know it sounds crazy but planning to update this with Sean Jolacobs DC4 multirail. Just need little more time to collect the funds for that.

You cant go wrong with top supplys.

Best

Chris

Each to their own! working out total costs! 

4 switches 1k

4 PF clocks 6k

4 SJ rails 8k

+ wiring 1k

16k plus. I always say if you’ve got the money spend it on Hifi! (My wife says otherwise)

Enjoy & thanks for reporting 

1 hour ago, cool_chris said:

Nenon is correct.

I got 4 Buffalo switches but sent 2 for the clock upgrade to Jord at Pink Faun.

He did fantastic work as you see on the pictures I submitted few pages ago.

Spering the money now to get other 2 upgrated. I need to have all 4 Buffalows  with Pink Faun clocks. Those are fantastic switches.

I wish you could hear the difference on my system. Night and day difference. 

There is no way to take any of the 4 Buffalows away or to get the 5th switch (Ether Regen) out of the chain.

I am glad Nenon confirmed the Telegartner M12 being excellent as a musical and sweetness adding solution. 

I wish I could afford to get one and install in my chain as the 6th switch.

For now I Prefer to keep Buffalows with PinkFaun clocks if they give 60 % of performance related to 40% of M12 performance ( Nenon rating).

So as far as I understand it correct

you get little more SQ for much less money.

Thank you Nenon !

Best

Chris

Hi Chris,

In my system I use Synergistic Research Atmosphere X Ref ethernet and USB cables. They are delivered with 2 ‘bullets’ which are exchangeable....the one bullet enhances the cable’s detail and spacial resolution, while the second bullet is more orientated around fullness and warmth, so with more than 1 cable you can fine tune exactly the balance between warmth, air and spacial resolution. 

2 minutes ago, Blackmorec said:

Hi Chris,

In my system I use Synergistic Research Atmosphere X Ref ethernet and USB cables. They are delivered with 2 ‘bullets’ which are exchangeable....the one bullet enhances the cable’s detail and spacial resolution, while the second bullet is more orientated around fullness and warmth, so with more than 1 cable you can fine tune exactly the balance between warmth, air and spacial resolution. 

Yes. You can do a lot with USB cables.

But I tested 25 different cables, solutions , cleaners , blockers , fibre and many more and got to the conclusion that they all work well, some very well, however only if your system is "mid class" 

If you have top system with perfected everything than removing all of the USB solutions gets you to the over the top sound quality. 

I liked very much the fibre usb isolation, the uptone iso regen and newest Intona 3.0 isolator .

1 hour ago, cool_chris said:

Yes. You can do a lot with USB cables.

But I tested 25 different cables, solutions , cleaners , blockers , fibre and many more and got to the conclusion that they all work well, some very well, however only if your system is "mid class" 

If you have top system with perfected everything than removing all of the USB solutions gets you to the over the top sound quality. 

I liked very much the fibre usb isolation, the uptone iso regen and newest Intona 3.0 isolator .

Sorry Chris, i don't understand what you’re saying. How does a top class server with a USB output connect to the USB DAC input if not with a cable?   I found my system to work best with a simple USB cable....all the other stuff downgraded the sound

1 hour ago, ASRMichael said:

Each to their own! working out total costs! 

4 switches 1k

4 PF clocks 6k

4 SJ rails 8k

+ wiring 1k

16k plus. I always say if you’ve got the money spend it on Hifi! (My wife says otherwise)

Enjoy & thanks for reporting 

Your estimate is too low.  He needs 8 SJ rails for the 2 DC inputs on each PF Buffalo pluse a 9th SJ rail for the EtherRegen. 🙂

1 hour ago, Exocer said:

If one PF Buffalo added gains 15%, does the non PF Buffalo take something away or just add way less than a 2nd PF Buffalo would?

The 15% was a relative number.

Let's say we start with two stock clock Buffalos. I have written previously about the improvement of one stock clock Buffalo vs. two, three, four, five, etc. 

Then I replaced the stock clock on one of the Buffalos. And that was a huge improvement that I've also written about (let's call the level of improvement X). Replacing the clock on the second Buffalo did not give me the same (X) improvement... it gave me only 15% (of X) improvement .

In other words you get the best improvement from upgrading one of the switches. Upgrading more is an improvement but  diminishing returns. 

Hope that makes more sense. 

1 hour ago, Exocer said:

Would a non-PF Buffalo add anything to the above setup? 

I did not try adding a non-PF Buffalo to a set up with two PF Buffalos. I don't have enough power supplies, DC cables, and network cables to do that at the moment. But @cool_chris already commented on that. He is using two stock clock Buffalos and two PF Buffalos. 

Industry disclosure: 

Dealer for: Taiko Audio, Aries Cerat, Audio Mirror, Sean Jacobs

https://chicagohifi.com 

11 hours ago, Blackmorec said:

Sorry Chris, i don't understand what you’re saying. How does a top class server with a USB output connect to the USB DAC input if not with a cable?   I found my system to work best with a simple USB cable....all the other stuff downgraded the sound

Sorry. You are correct this cant work 😆

I missed the one phrase  "except of the Intona Ultimate cable that is still in place" I removed everything.

But I keep everything , because the nirvana is not a stabile thing.

From time to time you want to change this or that OR after server / softwere update dosn't sound as " magical" anymore , so you need to experiment if one of the multiple USB solutions are improving the SQ or not.

So I come back and forth many times sometimes to set it to the new "absolute"

Especially Roon update can be very devastating to the SQ sometimes. Sometimes it improves SQ so you never know.

@cool_chris What DAC and other equipment are you using?  Just curious.

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

Not exactly easy to acquire BS-GS2016 these days unless we're willing to import them from their country of origin.

Regarding the motherboard, maybe it kinda depends on the cost of motherboard itself since it's a bit too risky to fry an expensive one?

And then we also have to figure out where the on-board Ethernet is connected to, perhaps its original 25 MHz clock ain't worth the replacement if that were connected to the PCH? Sometimes we're lucky to find something that's connected the CPU directly but it might not be that common to begin with.

Ultimately we still have to take this into consideration if local files were all we need for a motherboard with BMC (baseboard management controller)

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/30376-a-novel-way-to-massively-improve-the-sq-of-computer-audio-streaming/page/656/?tab=comments#comment-1053701

On 5/22/2020 at 3:11 PM, darkfrank said:

I must say that even I'm already using the Telegartner M12 switch, by using ROON to play local file only, unplug the network cable still improve the SQ for about ~20%.

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/30376-a-novel-way-to-massively-improve-the-sq-of-computer-audio-streaming/page/699/?tab=comments#comment-1077821

On 9/4/2020 at 12:56 AM, austinpop said:
Disconnected is best: My preferred mode of listening is local playback (from local SSD) using HQPlayer, with the network disconnected. Not only does this sound sublime, but it forms a reference for what the network chain needs to achieve.

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/58164-building-a-diy-music-server/page/32/?tab=comments#comment-1082113

On 9/29/2020 at 1:55 PM, Nenon said:

But do we really need to spend that much money to buy both? I am not really sure. Even with both of these switches connected to my system, playing local files completely disconnected from the network sounded best. 

OTOH, we could also put our switches between the music server and the USB DAC instead

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/sotm-snh-10g-network-switches-x2-the-new-king-of-usb-network-gadget-setup.27758/page-19#post-621571

18 hours ago, dminches said:

@cool_chris What DAC and other equipment are you using?  Just curious.

Chris has an amazing system but does not like to talk much about it. Don't be surprised if you don't hear from him, just take my word for it :). 

49 minutes ago, Exocer said:

So if someone were to get their hands on a PF Ultra OCXO (with streaming quality being the highest priority) would it make the most sense to place the clock on the Buffalo switch OR the motherboard?

Good question. But I don't think there is a good general answer. I believe it is system dependent. In some cases you would get better results by replacing the clock on the motherboard. In other cases you would be better doing the switch. The only way to find out is to try it. If I was to gamble on it, I would pick the motherboard... But I have no desire, intentions, or interest to replace any of the the clocks on my Asus SAGE motherboard. Hence, I did my switch. 

12 minutes ago, seeteeyou said:

Not exactly easy to acquire BS-GS2016 these days

I will be putting one for sale in the classified section soon. Actually, I have several things to put there. I can never find time for that...

Industry disclosure: 

Dealer for: Taiko Audio, Aries Cerat, Audio Mirror, Sean Jacobs

https://chicagohifi.com 

Wise words from Emile

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/30376-a-novel-way-to-massively-improve-the-sq-of-computer-audio-streaming/page/616/?tab=comments#comment-1014096

On 12/16/2019 at 7:37 AM, romaz said:

You really want the least possible variation in load, and higher cpu power / bandwidth systems are better at that with very low load music playback processes."

https://www.nas.nasa.gov/assets/pdf/papers/NAS_Technical_Report_NAS-2014-01.pdf

One of the desirable features associated with InfiniBand, another network fabric technology, is its Remote Direct Memory Access (RDMA) capability. RDMA allows for communication between systems but can bypass the overhead associated with the operating system kernel, so applications have reduced latency and much lower CPU utilization. This results in much faster network performance rates than traditional TCP/IP.

JxVJe4X.png

mLimqg6.png

At some point maybe we've gotta leave TCP/IP behind since they aren't any good for our CPU(s) in terms of the least variation in load. Hopefully RDMA / RoCE / iWARP could get us one step closer to the "ideal" conditions of being unplugged / disco.

On the software side, there's a way to bypass the TCP/IP stack altogether

https://www.symphonic-mpd.com/forum/topic/97/rpi4版-v1-0系のサポートはこちら/300

一つは「カーネルのTCP/IPスタックをバイパス」すること。

Even both IP header and UDP header could be omitted

https://www.symphonic-mpd.com/forum/topic/97/rpi4版-v1-0系のサポートはこちら/302

直結に限定すれば、IPヘッダ・UDPヘッダを省くことも技術的には可能です。

Speaking of the least variation in load, IMHO most Linux distros and even stripped-down Windows 10 LTSC 2019 couldn't get anywhere close to this guy

https://audiodigitale.eu/?p=228

I built SqueezeCore because I needed a lightweight, minimal, plug&play OS to use it as a squeezelite player. The whole OS is 17MB and when running it occupies around 60MB of RAM; SqueezeCore must be installed on a USB drive and will run completely in RAM.

20 hours ago, Blackmorec said:

The more profound the arriving data stream damage, the greater the level of SQ improvement multiple switches will bring. 

I must say this is very true in my system. 

I started long ago with radio based Internet.  

Not many know that in fact this are the very strong WiFi antennas (not radio broadcast !) with transmitting distance upto 5 km . This is a very strong signal.

There is more.

Usually this kind of Internet is used in difficult terrain and by that they use much stronger antennas to transmit it further. 

So in my case there was 3 transmission antennas and 3 receiving antennas before it reached the server og the internet provider.

I was able to get the difference with 5GHz and 2,4 Ghz and 5 Ghz destroyes the signal much more than 2,4 antenna.

Also I paid to get installed direct fibre to exclude the 3x plus 3x wifi demage and the outcome is clear.

Using the same system , same stacked switches music is by far better in every possible way. 

I left the radio internet (wifi) for home / office use and 200 mbps fibre is exclusive for music server only.

For those with radio Internet on the roof it will be much better investment to get the fibre home than anything else. 

12 hours ago, seeteeyou said:

Wise words from Emile

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/30376-a-novel-way-to-massively-improve-the-sq-of-computer-audio-streaming/page/616/?tab=comments#comment-1014096

https://www.nas.nasa.gov/assets/pdf/papers/NAS_Technical_Report_NAS-2014-01.pdf

JxVJe4X.png

mLimqg6.png

At some point maybe we've gotta leave TCP/IP behind since they aren't any good for our CPU(s) in terms of the least variation in load. Hopefully RDMA / RoCE / iWARP could get us one step closer to the "ideal" conditions of being unplugged / disco.

On the software side, there's a way to bypass the TCP/IP stack altogether

https://www.symphonic-mpd.com/forum/topic/97/rpi4版-v1-0系のサポートはこちら/300

Even both IP header and UDP header could be omitted

https://www.symphonic-mpd.com/forum/topic/97/rpi4版-v1-0系のサポートはこちら/302

Speaking of the least variation in load, IMHO most Linux distros and even stripped-down Windows 10 LTSC 2019 couldn't get anywhere close to this guy

https://audiodigitale.eu/?p=228

I'm the dev behind Squeezecore. While I have not updated the thread here in audiophilestyle I've released new updates. If anyone found something not working correctly (DAC not recognized for example) feel free to PM me.

13 hours ago, Nenon said:

Chris has an amazing system but does not like to talk much about it. Don't be surprised if you don't hear from him, just take my word for it :). 

@nenon. I’ve noticed over time not everyone shows their system details on their profile. Including yourself. 

I’ve always asked myself why is this? Any ideas? I actually find it really helpful by looking at other people’s setup. Really helps.