IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

On 8/9/2020 at 2:27 AM, Nenon said:

Just a quick update:

I swapped the positions of the etherREGEN and my modified Buffalo switch. Now my server is connected directly to the Buffalo like this:

Arris SB8200 modem --(copper)--> Ubiquiti Router --(copper)--> etherRegen (fiber with Fintech transceivers)--> Buffalo switch--(copper)--> server

That turned out to be a shocking improvement! I expected a small difference that makes me do many A/B comparisons until I decide if I like one better than the other. Not at all. 

I just picked a random Qobuz track for the test. It just happened to be this one:
artist: The Ray Brown All Stars

track: You Don't Know Me
album: Don't Forget The Blues

But I also listened to different styles music after that to make sure it's not just that track that sounded better :)

It took about 5 seconds from the track to hear how much better the new combination was. By the 14th second I was convinced what I heard the first 5 seconds was true. After 30 seconds there was no doubts at all. We've all been there, and you probably know what I am talking about. Towards the end of the track I knew I had a new reference! Obviously I went back and forth 5 or 6 times to double/triple/quadruple/quintuple check and never doubted even for a second which one was better. Never heard Qobuz sound so good! Going back to do some more critical listening now... 

Hi!

Finally I decided what I’ll be to build (this is Nenon’s config mostly), so here is a stuff that I suppose to use:

Model

Brand

Part Name

##

H5 2nd Gen Fanless PC Case

HDPlex

PC case

HDPLEX 800W DC-ATX with 16V-63VDC Input

HDPlex

PSU for DC-ATX

ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero AMD Ryzen 

ASUS

Motherbord

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X

AMD

CPU  (65W)

Apacer ECC RAM

Apacer

Memory

USB CARD XE

JCat

USB card

NET CARD XE

JCat

NET card

I2S Bridge

PinkFaun

I2S card

So, all PCI  cards will be powering by external LPS with 3 rails (not decided yet which one - probably Teddy Pardo)

So first step is to build a PC, and here I need a bit help.
I made some diagram with pointed “?” sign where I’m lost or not sure for best option.
The main question is what is a best or possible option to power this it important for ordering LPS.

Larry (HDPlex) said that for 800w 19v is needed with high power as possible.
So,what better  to use only one rail LPS and then separate on  800w connection?
_

(if yes how exactly and right way to separate in for 800w using)

Or power all from two separated rail on LPS?

And a bit question about wiring.

Hope I put all things clear:)

Thanks for a help!

F98471D2-F20A-49DF-A84B-AD0937F73471.jpeg

p.s. some how all text get to the left - couldn’t  improve it - sorry

6 hours ago, genvirt said:

power all from two separated rail on LPS

I am going this direction with a dual rail PH power supply (1 for atx, the other for eps). My stopgap is using a keces p8 20v/8a. This is working well.

You may need a graphics card unless you will do your os and player management remotely. 

What will you use for the operating system? Will you put it on a m2 drive?

5 minutes ago, Exocer said:

First off, awesome build plans!

What i've seen most people do (and what I plan to do) is as follows:

1. Source one of the 6-pin DC Inputs with a high quality LPS (Sean Jacobs, Paul Hynes etc). Look for around 19V/10A output for this LPSU.

2. In my case, I will feed the 8-Pin EPS input directly from my LPSU. There should be healthy current reserves for this rail... around 10-12A if not more if possible.

Per my understanding, the 4-Pin 12v input is not mandatory and is for extreme overclocking IIRC.

Thank You!

yes Paul Hynes write me that two rail LPS of 19v 10A will be fine.

Do I understand right that On Your scenario second part of HDPlex not needed?   
By the way:) Is here no need some power on/ reset button? Just not really noticed any sign on HDPlex chassis.... 

3 minutes ago, Downtheline said:

I am going this direction with a dual rail PH power supply (1 for atx, the other for eps). My stopgap is using a keces p8 20v/8a. This is working well.

You may need a graphics card unless you will do your os and player management remotely. 

What will you use for the operating system? Will you put it on a m2 drive?

I’m using only Euphony Stilus OS and for me is the best.

So no GC needed

Just now, genvirt said:

Thank You!

yes Paul Hynes write me that two rail LPS of 19v 10A will be fine.

Do I understand right that On Your scenario second part of HDPlex not needed?   
By the way:) Is here no need some power on/ reset button? Just not really noticed any sign on HDPlex chassis.... 

Paul Hynes is a good choice.

That is an interesting question you pose. I don't think i've seen others go this route, with two 19v 10A rails powering the HDPlex 800W DC-ATX device.

You are correct, in my case I would use the HDPlex for the 24-Pin ATX connector only. Maybe the 5v out to my network card as well until I get a dedicated audiophile network card which will use external power (like the JCAT you will use).

1 minute ago, Exocer said:

Paul Hynes is a good choice.

That is an interesting question you pose. I don't think i've seen others go this route, with two 19v 10A rails powering the HDPlex 800W DC-ATX device.

You are correct, in my case I would use the HDPlex for the 24-Pin ATX connector only. Maybe the 5v out to my network card as well until I get a dedicated audiophile network card which will use external power (like the JCAT you will use).

Ok, let’s see what other react... hope this config (that ordered already not a bit a waste:))),  but more is not less is more:) hhh

btw JCat I suppose should get with JCat XE Net cards as they do with USB one, hope in couple of month it came and I’ll get it. Now I’ve Usb femto and this is very good.

Hmmm...don’t know what happened to my original reply to Nenon’s articles about his highly modified Buffalo switch, but here again are my observations. 

Firstly thanks for posting such fascinating and ground breaking work....while I’m not skilled at DIY, I always find such results really enlightening in the quest to understand where the secrets lie in achieving better SQ from digital streaming. 

I am delighted that the final result exceeded the sound quality of 4 Buffalo switches ganged together in series.....something I saw as an interim and frankly rather inelegant solution given the number of cables, connections and power supplies involved.  

I was also intrigued by the observations regarding the type of improvements achieved, that are better described in terms of listener response rather than a more typical hi-fi oriented dialog. I personally find this type of upgrade far more fundamentally enjoyable and ‘sustained’ vs the more ‘cosmetic’ upgrades that add more of something that is soon assimilated by the listener. The former improves the enjoyment level of every listening session over long periods whereas the latter quickly becomes the norm and enjoyment levels remain more or less the same once the listener acclimatises to the improved cosmetics.

For me at least, a hi-fi system is really achieving outstanding results when every listening session is anticipated with a degree of excitement, similar to a live event. When you expect to experience something new,  something that gets the emotions flowing and that leaves you highly satisfied, without any sense of let down or dissatisfaction and with the sweet anticipation of the next session, your system is ticking all the boxes.   

2 hours ago, Downtheline said:

Please forgive my ignorance, as I have not used euphony, only audiolinux, gentooplayer and windows.  

You are able to log on completely remotely? Also are no bios adjustments necessary- or can they be done in a different way without some graphics? 

Yes, actually You no need GC, and Euphony is an OS, and I’m simply boot from DOK (in my case ) and manage all from any device that on WiFi connected. PC should be wire to the net (possibly without too I think).

Here You can try it freely one month https://euphony-audio.com/euphony-stylus-operating-system/ 

worth trying:) 

11 hours ago, Exocer said:

I've had great luck with this thermal paste although I never thought to ask here:

https://www.amazon.com/Thermal-Gr.izzly-Kryonaut-Grease-Paste/dp/B011F7W3LU

It lowered temps (with the same config) from 58c down to 50c in my setup. Now i'm in the mid to high 30s.

Great! But what amount to take for using it not only for CPU, but for entire cooling of HDPlex chassis? 1g it seems to be not much...

Did you try both 12V and 5V and find that 12V sounded better, or just go with 5V and stick with it?

Which OXCO are you planning to use?

1 hour ago, cool_chris said:

I must say I followed Nenon recommendation with the use of Buffalo BSGS 2016.

With his kind help I was able to get 2 of them. I dont think they are still available. All sold out.

I powered them with Vinnie Rossi great „mini” supercapacitor supplys rated 5v / 3A only !

Many powered them with 12v , but I recommend 5 v with 3A or more.

I think I can already say It is by far the bigest SQ gain I have ever experienced .

I wanted to thank Nenon for discovering soch a great improvements for us, testing many options and sharing results with all of us.
I see that Hols confirmed it already few posts above , so do I. 

My next step will be to improve both clocks with the use of OXCO as Nenon and Hols already did with great result.

Will report my experience .

SB88200 cable modem,  EdgeRouterX SFP router,  2 series PFU Buffalo BS-GS2016 switches w/ SR7T LPS and Finisar FTLX1475D3BTL SFPs, Taiko NetCard, JCAT USBCard XE w/ JCAT Optimo 3 Duo LPS;  DIY Taiko Extreme w/ Taiko DC-ATX, and Nenon design Level 3 supply;  Denafrips GAIA DDC w/ Revelation Audio Prophecy Cryro Silver I2S connection to Denafrips Terminator Plus DAC;  modified Pass Labs XP22 preamp,  Pass X600.8 monoblocks,  restored and modified Sound Lab M-1 electrostats with hot rod backplates

Tried both . 12 v is more precise and focused but adds little more upper fequencies that is aready to much in my system.
5v is just a little less focused but it has an excellent musicality , flow and easyness in the presentation.

I think the take home message is try all voltages from 5 v to 12v and pick the one that fits your system / ears best !

Hols sounds to be very happy with his local OCXO upgrade shop, Nenon did install PinkFaun ultra OCXO himself and is enthusiastic about that, but it is by far the most expensive one ( it might be the best but that needs to be confirmed by testing )

I am considering few options . Educating myself with different clock manufacturers and will report effects here.

I tried four PP modified zyxel swiches before and they were quite good, got Ether Regen that also was very good , added Ubiquiti xrouter that acts as a switch only, but only the last change with modified Buffalows elevated my system so many levels up.

The use of Buffalo BSGS 2016 / or Melco S100 / recommended by Nenon , Romaz, Hols and few others is probably one of the very best upgrates one can do to the audio system this time .

Tried both . 12 v is more precise and focused but adds little more upper fequencies that is aready to much in my system.
5v is just a little less focused but it has an excellent musicality , flow and easyness in the presentation.

I think the take home message is try all voltages from 5 v to 12v and pick the one that fits your system / ears best !

Hols sounds to be very happy with his local OCXO upgrade shop, Nenon did install PinkFaun ultra OCXO himself and is enthusiastic about that, but it is by far the most expensive one ( it might be the best but that needs to be confirmed by testing )

I am considering few options . Educating myself with different clock manufacturers and will report effects here.

I tried four PP modified zyxel swiches before and they were quite good, got Ether Regen that also was very good , added Ubiquiti xrouter that acts as a switch only, but only the last change with modified Buffalows elevated my system so many levels up.

The use of Buffalo BSGS 2016 / or Melco S100 / recommended by Nenon , Romaz, Hols and few others is probably one of the very best upgrates one can do to the audio system this time .

Thanks for your reply.  I’m looking forward  to following your progress.

SB88200 cable modem,  EdgeRouterX SFP router,  2 series PFU Buffalo BS-GS2016 switches w/ SR7T LPS and Finisar FTLX1475D3BTL SFPs, Taiko NetCard, JCAT USBCard XE w/ JCAT Optimo 3 Duo LPS;  DIY Taiko Extreme w/ Taiko DC-ATX, and Nenon design Level 3 supply;  Denafrips GAIA DDC w/ Revelation Audio Prophecy Cryro Silver I2S connection to Denafrips Terminator Plus DAC;  modified Pass Labs XP22 preamp,  Pass X600.8 monoblocks,  restored and modified Sound Lab M-1 electrostats with hot rod backplates

Hi!

I'm step by step come closer to begin my project.

One of the steps is to build DIY cabling from LPS to my HDPlex 800w and to ESP socket on mother board and all internal wiering (24 atx and so on).

So, LPS to ATX/ESP wires use 6 or 8 pins on end connection, but LPS out use only 2 (1 is ground and 2 is positive in case of 3 pin output). So do I understand right that all wires should be connected as on pic attached?

Just curious - why get 3 or 4 wire that connected to one LPS output pin instead make some bridging on ATX/ESP connector part? Is here some reason (not enough place of pin connector for bridging?)?

When making cable (as shown on pic) - Do I need twist all wires together a bit or twist  ground wires apart and positive wires apart and then twist all for further shielding (I'll going to use shielding that Nenon has explain)? (hope this question clear...)

Do it is a good idea to shield 24 pin ATX cable or just arrange the wires: 24 wires separated by 8 for example.

I thought too about doing SATA cable for SSD connection - somebody had experience with such kind of cable?

If Yes - it'll be kind of providing scheme and "right" wire gauge? (I'm a bit hesitate which gauge will right for this - regular one is 30, but I thought about 26-24).

(Yes using M.2_2 SSD is preferable from SQ point, but I still have one SDD 2GB and add a new one now not really in my basket:), maybe later).

Thanks a lot!

XLR 3 PINOUT.png

24 minutes ago, genvirt said:

Are you referring to M.2 for storage/data? Or for OS?

If storage, that’s a tough question, I can’t imagine many DIYers trying out various M.2’s. Have you considered buying a NAS drive? Or you may even have one. I would use a NAS. IMHO Less noise this way = better SQ.