IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

8 minutes ago, StreamFidelity said:

I am not referring to it, but I answer anyway. 😁

I use the ROG MAXIMUS XI GENE and it fits perfectly into Streacom FC9 Alpha (Black) - Desktop - micro ATX with HDPLEX 800W DC-ATX. I'm excited. 

haha thanks. It has a top notch VRM so that’s why I asked. See the tier list attached to this forumpost for example: https://www.overclock.net/forum/27657582-post2156.html#/topics/1638955?page=216&gid=1&pid=1

But of course there’s more than just raw VRM power capabilities. :)

2 hours ago, StreamFidelity said:

I am not referring to it, but I answer anyway. 😁

I use the ROG MAXIMUS XI GENE and it fits perfectly into Streacom FC9 Alpha (Black) - Desktop - micro ATX with HDPLEX 800W DC-ATX. I'm excited. 

I am very tempted to compare the two ASUS ROG motherboards. Asked the person I am building the computer for. It's his call and it seems like he is open to it. Keep you posted. 

In the meantime I need to do more RAM tests, because I really liked what I heard with the ECC RAM last night. I have a PS Audio Power Plant P20 regenerator, and the electricity in my house is not "night and day", but even with the power regenerator sometimes I get better sound in the evening. Not sure how much of what I've heard was related to that. And RAM needs to run for a while, so no easy way to do A/B comparisons. I would need to repeat that test several times over a period of time to be confident which RAM sounds better. But please, let's not turn this discussion into psychoacoustic, snake oil, etc. We've done a really good job to stay on track so far. 

Also, thank you for all the comments and feedback. You guys are awesome! 

Industry disclosure: 

Dealer for: Taiko Audio, Aries Cerat, Audio Mirror, Sean Jacobs

https://chicagohifi.com 

7 minutes ago, Nenon said:

In the meantime I need to do more RAM tests

I am curious whether ECC RAM that you used on Intel i9900K CPU for testing done earlier, is that CPU dependant or Motherboard dependant.  I am also tempted to try the ECC RAMs on my server with a different Motherboard but sibling CPU (i9900KS).

15 minutes ago, elan120 said:

I am curious whether ECC RAM that you used on Intel i9900K CPU for testing done earlier, is that CPU dependant or Motherboard dependant.  I am also tempted to try the ECC RAMs on my server with a different Motherboard but sibling CPU (i9900KS).

That is my question too and did u state the Asrock actually runs ECC fine but as Non-ECC mode?  And that is regardless of CPU or it only applies to Intel and not AMD? 

7 minutes ago, Nenon said:

The ECC RAM works fine on both Z390 motherboards I have - ASRock and ASUS. It just works as non-ECC RAM. I suspect it would work on many motherboards.

Thank you, that is what I am suspecting.  I will find some time over the weekend and see if I can get them to work in my server.

@StreamFidelity I am looking at your build:

streamfidelityasus.jpeg.551daac23217388d25d9a22f4fb9eb13.thumb.jpeg.aec7f5372ddb4a24c276ed6c6c8ec3ca.jpeg

Hmm, I wonder if the PinkFaun ultraOCXO clock would fit in this motherboard without removing the big heatsink on the motherboard. See the part in red. It almost looks like it would not fit. 

rework3.jpg.b986be7bb1e7e8def1498515f540a735.thumb.jpg.e4fad60a55c66bdd73d16d1481da028e.jpg

Also, I like the extra space between the JCAT NIC and PinkFaun card in the ITX motherboard. The JCAT generates a lot of heat (probably EMI too) and would be nice to keep it further apart. 

I may still order one of those motherboards to try. 

Industry disclosure: 

Why not use a larger case, like the FC10, with a modified back panel so that you have more space and can use the cards vertically?

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

4 hours ago, Chopin75 said:

That is my question too and did u state the Asrock actually runs ECC fine but as Non-ECC mode?  And that is regardless of CPU or it only applies to Intel and not AMD? 

I've got some extra Apacer ECC RAM left over from when we ordered it from Nenon's friend a few months back (4g sticks DDR4).  I've been using one of the sticks in an AMD4 based Asus ROG Strix M-ITX system and like the sound very much.  I've also got a system with an Intel I9-9900 using the Asus ROG Strix Z390 m_ITX board.  Now that others have found the ECC RAM works with that board, I'm going to try an Apacer 4gb stick in that machine as well.  I also have a third build that has the Asus ROG Strix Z390 M-ITX board and it's got an Intel I7-8700K processor that could also benefit from the Apacer ECC RAM.  Just to re-iterate, I've been going with our findings that with RAM, less can be more, and using just one 4gb DDR4 stick sounds better than using two or more sticks of the same.  This has proved more than sufficient memory for playing Euphony loaded into RAMROOT with HQP oversampling even. 

5 hours ago, Nenon said:

The ECC RAM works fine on both Z390 motherboards I have - ASRock and ASUS. It just works as non-ECC RAM. I suspect it would work on many motherboards.

Ok, I understand now that ECC RAM can work with Intel MB/CPU as non-ECC, but does it mean that ECC RAM runs as ECC for AMD CPU/MB or that is still running as Non-RAM. It was not too clear from previous posts.  As far as I know, the Z...MB (e.g Z390)  are for intel and the X...MB (such as my x370) are for AMD CPU.  

5 hours ago, dminches said:

Why not use a larger case, like the FC10, with a modified back panel so that you have more space and can use the cards vertically?

Have you seen the HDPlex H5 2nd Gen? No need to do the FC9/FC10 mod.

342501486_HDPLEX_H5_ITX_GPU_LP.SideHDD3(1).thumb.jpg.abc0f5941af835cd5b7897c99806b38d.jpg

HDPLEX_H5.Lowprofile.Backplate.thumb.png.94e6654825424a95083a2067b448bfc3.png

HDPLEX_H5_Low.Profile.Backplate.thumb.jpg.a664fbd09c64aae4f6fd1420b7cab316.jpg

I considered it for this build but decided to use Streacom FC9 instead. 

Industry disclosure: 

9 hours ago, LJONESATL said:

Is that copper foil, or a copper sheet that you used for shielding?

It is 0.25 mm thick copper sheet. 

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

13 hours ago, Nenon said:

See the part in red. It almost looks like it would not fit. 

Also, I like the extra space between the JCAT NIC and PinkFaun card in the ITX motherboard. The JCAT generates a lot of heat (probably EMI too) and would be nice to keep it further apart. 

I think it fits. I see the problem in the short distance between JCAT NET and PinkFaun USB. Mutual influences or heat development in the sensitive watch would not be good.

7 hours ago, Nenon said:

Have you seen the HDPlex H5 2nd Gen? No need to do the FC9/FC10 mod.

I considered it for this build but decided to use Streacom FC9 instead. 

My only issue with the HDPlex case is that the clearance for the CPU pipes could be an issue.  What I like about the Streacom cases is the ability to use a CPU cooling riser which not only gives you more flexibility in selecting a motherboard but I also think it cools better since there is a lot more surface area.

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

3 hours ago, StreamFidelity said:

I think it fits. I see the problem in the short distance between JCAT NET and PinkFaun USB. Mutual influences or heat development in the sensitive watch would not be good.

Do you think the distance between the JCAT NET and Pink Faun USB cards would closer than the JCAT NET and USB cards in your build?