IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

2 hours ago, Nenon said:

I don't know the price. It was a four rail Sean Jacobs DS3 LPS, similar to what Innuos uses. Probably best to contact Sean Jacobs for that. http://www.custom-hifi-cables.co.uk/home/power-supplies/dc3-power-supply

I asked Sean if he is willing to sell some boards to the DIY community, but he is currently away. We'll probably get an answer next week.

Yes that would be fantastic if he would sell regulator modules for the DIY community for a fair price. I now use the newclassd 5A regulators.

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

@Nenon how do those linear regulators work if you are feeding them 3.3V, 5V and 12V?  Don't they need somewhat higher input voltage to be effective?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

4 hours ago, Nenon said:

They need higher voltage. The 3.3V and 5V are fed by ~11 VDC. The 12V by ~19VDC.

Can you tell us more about these regulators?  That seems to be a large voltage drop for linear regulators.  Is it a single stage?  

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

On 1/11/2020 at 10:00 AM, Lobbster said:

Thanks for posting this, your attention to detail inspires! 

Would you consider less powerful hardware if the only purpose was Roon without any additional processing?

In my case all the heavy lifting is at the end of the line, resampling by the network DAC and DSP by the Preamp. I currently use ROCK on a NUC7i5 and am wondering if a new server with AL in Ramroot and netcard bridged to DAC will lift my boat.

I am running my Roon server with an i3 board in a fanless Streacom case with a JCAT Femto card in it. The server runs Windows 2019 with AO with Roon Core as the shell replacement. I have one 19V power supply to an HDPlex 400 converter and a 5V feed to the OS SSD and music SSD. Bridged JCAT outputs with one going to a NUC running AL ramroot. My purpose in mentioning this is that Roon server by itself does not really require a lot of horsepower and sometimes simpler is better.

Not trying to hijack the thread but only to mention that for many a powerful CPU may not be needed or even ideal.

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

1 hour ago, mourip said:

I am running my Roon server with an i3 board in a fanless Streacom case with a JCAT Femto card in it. The server runs Windows 2019 with AO with Roon Core as the shell replacement. I have one 19V power supply to an HDPlex 400 converter and a 5V feed to the OS SSD and music SSD. Bridged JCAT outputs with one going to a NUC running AL ramroot. My purpose in mentioning this is that Roon server by itself does not really require a lot of horsepower and sometimes simpler is better.

Not trying to hijack the thread but only to mention that for many a powerful CPU may not be needed or even ideal.

I also thought that less powerful CPUs would result in lower noise levels.  However, the folks at Taiko Audio who produce the Extreme and Evo found in their research and over-powered CPUs resulted in better, quieter sound.  I can't confirm this since I haven't heard an Extreme but that's what drove their decision to have a dual Xeon configuration.

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

Aren't the Taiko's are doing some very heavy lifting as single box solutions (HQP etc). If it was only a networked server how far do we need to go, or faster is better as long as you can keep processor power consumption to the fanless case limits?

The common parts seem to be high VRM Mobo (that sounds good), Apacer Industrial ECC RAM, NetCard, fanless case, shielded cabling and the best power supply you can muster. If the most you're calling on the server is for Volume Leveling in Roon, does an i9900 processor still sound better than lesser alternatives?

Any idea which Optical Network Card Taiko is using?

I was thinking about this as an alternative to the JCAT and let my switch do the bridging https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Express-Gigabit-Ethernet-Network/dp/B00LPRRJFG/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=StarTech+PEX1000SFP2&qid=1579018111&sr=8-2

With a couple of StarTech 1000BASE-ZX SFP's

Sorry if this is OT.

1 minute ago, Lobbster said:

Aren't the Taiko's are doing some very heavy lifting as single box solutions (HQP etc). If it was only a networked server how far do we need to go, or faster is better as long as you can keep processor power consumption to the fanless case limits?

The current top-of-the-line Extreme comes configured to run Roon only, not HQP.  It can run HQP but I don't believe that is their recommendation configuration.  The older unit did run HQ Player out of the box.

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

On 1/11/2020 at 10:36 AM, RickyV said:

Where did you get the transformer from and curious about it’s casing. 

On 1/14/2020 at 6:05 AM, amolan said:

Where did you get this wonderful toroidal ? I never see something like it before.

The transformer is from Toroidy. It's their Supreme Audio Grade V2 version but customized for the requirements of this project. Their transformers are 10x more expensive than similar specs Chinese transformers. I have seen them on some ultra high-end gear recently. The Cerat Kassandra 2 REF DAC comes to mind, but I've seen them at other places too, just can't remember now. They come epoxied in the case by default. 

Industry disclosure: 

Dealer for: Taiko Audio, Aries Cerat, Audio Mirror, Sean Jacobs

https://chicagohifi.com 

On 1/13/2020 at 11:45 PM, rickca said:

Can you tell us more about these regulators?  That seems to be a large voltage drop for linear regulators.  Is it a single stage?  

@Nenon I'm still curious about this.  But please carry on with your build first.  So far it looks beautiful.

21 minutes ago, Dutch said:

ROG Maximum XI Gene

I am not referring to it, but I answer anyway. 😁

I use the ROG MAXIMUS XI GENE and it fits perfectly into Streacom FC9 Alpha (Black) - Desktop - micro ATX with HDPLEX 800W DC-ATX. I'm excited.