IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

@Nenon Do you happen to know/have the spec sheet for the Taiko rectifier? I wanted to try a single PIO as first cap, but the Saligny needs 4700 uF as first cap to work properly, I reckon the Taiko has a similar requirement, so just checking,

I just replaced the Hypex with my alternative softstart, listening for a difference once everything is warmed up again.

Edit:  never mind, the difference is already clear!

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

I can't figure out much from the dimension but those who have the Taiko chassis at hand do you think there is enough space to fit ULPS along with another single rail regulated power supply with SJ DC3 level parts and another smallish transformer, say 100va ?

On 7/16/2022 at 2:46 AM, JJSim said:

Any 288 pin DDR4 ECC RDIMM/LRDIMM should work. Max frequency supported by that motherboard is 2933Mhz. Frequency is further dictated by the CPU; in the case of the Xeon 4210 it's limited to 2400Mhz. Memory refresh rate can be adjusted in BIOS.

Apacer has part # 78.D1GMP.4010B that would work with the Xeon 4210. Note that it is not the wide temp version that is more desirable. Samsung also has a good selection of server memory.

Curious as to where one can find the details regarding the cpu / memory frequency limitations. Do you have a specific reference?

Update: Nevermind, I found the information in the Intel CPU Specifications. 🤭

5 hours ago, baconbrain said:

Curious as to where one can find the details regarding the cpu / memory frequency limitations. Do you have a specific reference?

Update: Nevermind, I found the information in the Intel CPU Specifications. 🤭

As you discovered, the spec list will mention the max memory frequency supported by the CPU. Same for motherboards.

I also want to clarify my original post. You can run memory at a lower frequency than rated, meaning you can run memory rated at 3200Mhz at 2400/2666/2933Mhz. To that end, Apacer has part # D51.27267S.002 in 16GB capacity, and part # D51.27244S.002 in 8GB capacity that would work with the Intel scalable CPU's. These are the wide temp "industrial" grade memory.

Yes, for maximum bandwidth it's recommended to fill each DIMM slot, so for the dual socket Asus Sage that's 12 total DIMM's. If you use a CPU that allows for max 2400Mhz memory, you can save cost with the lower frequency DIMM's. The SKU's rated at 3200Mhz are more expensive.

Generally Samsung memory is lower priced. Apacer uses Samsung IC's on their memory, so I would expect quality and performance to be on par, though there has been high praise for the Apacer wide temp DIMM's on this forum.

6 hours ago, Dev said:

Saligny power!

IMG_0222.jpg.b8fd1b0bff64cf30c991c94c1f73431b.jpg

and what is the preliminary verdict?

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

1 hour ago, oneguy said:

It appears that it is mounted direct to the chassis without any standoff. Is that correct?

it's how I did it...that is the benefit of the downside of having stiff wiring as Cruyff would say it ;-)

(solid core wire in my case) 

39 minutes ago, MarcelNL said:

it's how I did it...that is the benefit of the downside of having stiff wiring as Cruyff would say it ;-)

(solid core wire in my case) 

Great, that would be the way I’d prefer to do that. Mounting it directly to the chassis will allow greater heat dissipation. I just wasn’t sure if there were any traces on the backside that would prevent that. 

11 hours ago, Dev said:

Saligny power!

IMG_0222.jpg.b8fd1b0bff64cf30c991c94c1f73431b.jpg

Can you share full Pic for your power 
I can see that you are adding vcap and Saligny . can you share the improvement .

I have same Soul Analogue ULPS ...   but I will try to add  Nenon+Taiko v3  ULPS to my collection  .... I am also thinking if we can add ARC6 modules to our ULPS .

1 hour ago, oneguy said:

Great, that would be the way I’d prefer to do that. Mounting it directly to the chassis will allow greater heat dissipation. I just wasn’t sure if there were any traces on the backside that would prevent that. 

backside is one single aluminum(?) metal surface, not sure if it is grounded or connected so beware before plunking it on the chassis without insulation. Anyway, no heat whatsoever so no need for heatsink-ing either. Standoffs are so 2000's, ;-) 

On 7/16/2022 at 7:09 PM, Nenon said:

Sounds like the Taiko rectifier will go for around 200 Euro. I am told this is a top quality board with a lot of very thick copper, integrated heat sinks into the PCB, 180A MOSFETS, etc. And those things are quite expensive to manufacture. 

The 220,000 uF is expected to be around 300 Euro. This is great because it replaces capacitors for nearly double that price, sounds better, and is a space saver! 

image.thumb.png.2a2b3c1246cdc782f149d7f26e394004.png

Here is what I am planning to do for the DIY chassis integrated ULPS:

Noratel transformer (250 Euro) --> Taiko rectifier (200 Euro) + 22,000 uF Mundorf AG cap ($50) + Film capacitor (TBD)--> Hammond 159ZJ choke ($35) --> 22,000 uF Mundorf Mlytic HC cap ($140) + VCAP Odam 0.1 uF ($60) --> Hammond 159ZJ choke ($35) --> Mundorf 220,000 uF (300 Euro) + VCAP Odam 0.1 uF ($60).

That's not bad, close to $1200 for the main parts. Of course you need other items like wire, IEC inlet, Molex connectors, etc. so probably close to $2K. I highly recommend you try the Mundorf Copper Angelique wire for this. 

There seems to be enough space to fit a v3 with Mundorf HC caps this way.

image.thumb.png.b98cde0cd2467c0e734f41748bbba706.png

(not the final layout, just a dry fit; also, the Taiko rectifier can be mounted vertically to save more space)

If anyone prefers to use an array of Mundorf AG caps like in the Taiko Extreme, I have some high quality boards with 6 Mundorf AG caps and VCAP Odam film cap. See highlighted in red. You can use one or two of these together. 

image.thumb.png.86790eba70a4f53603764476c293e573.png

Lastly, as I was checking for parts to see if they fit, I realized I have over a dozen 22,000 uF Mundorf HC caps that I have no use for. Those were bought for my ULPS experiments and I have used some of them with copper bars and so on. If you need one, send me a PM.

Looking at the specification of the Mundorf Mlytic HC 220000 uF, the lower price and most likely the sound improvement are due to the 40V specification. Perhaps wise with a Toriody transformer 400VA/24V to be a little careful? Voltage at Taiko DC DC-ATX under no load can be something like 36V and a bit. Influence on lifetime?

I am bumping up to the 25VAC secondary Toroidy. 24VAC rectified is 33.9VDC. 25VAC rectified is 35.3VDC. When I lived in Texas my isolation transformer was putting out about 121-123VAC. 123VAC in the primary would be 36.2VDC rectified. 

@RovoI would not go higher than a 28VAC secondary (39.6VDC assuming no losses). No real margin for error at the spec. 

So the way I see it the trade space is 25-27VAC on the secondary with 40V rated caps. 

Random Idea for a one case solution with Taiko’s new cap:

Mount the transformer in the green circle to the top of the H5 on the inside. Taiko’s new CAPs mounted in the green box on top inside of the case. You’d probably need 20 MM riser for the lid I’d estimate so the transformer clears the MB. If you went with the Toroidy Audio instead of the Audio Supreme you may not even need risers. Thoughts?

73C30F48-7D2A-49B9-B736-AFBFFD96232D.jpeg

EDIT: disregard, I forgot about the chokes. No more bright ideas before morning coffee, lol!

you'll also need to put the other two Caps somewhere. The active rectifier nees capacitance to function,

The 22,00 Mundorfs are relatively short. Especially considering raising the lid 20mm or so, so I feel like that wouldn’t be a problem. The 10A chokes however….

I’ll keep the idea in my back pocket and do some measurements whenever I have the server open. It would be a nice option for those that don’t want fork over the money for the Taiko case or spend money on another H5 case.